Anyone Done A Visa Run To Chiang Khong?

JCauto

Hi All - new to the forum, and to Chiang Mai although I've been in the region for 23 years and in Thailand for 3 and a half of those way back when. I'm trying to sort a tricky visa situation with some Cambodian relatives so Laos is the only option. Was hoping there might be a place I could drive to, get over and back and return to Chiang Mai in a day (may be wishful thinking but...). Appreciate any ideas, advice or experience. Cheers.

Chiang Knong can be done in a day. Last time I did it, had plenty of time for a few beers in Huay Xaismile.png

Don't you have to pay the Laos visa fee (1500 Baht) to enter Laos, even for a few hours?

Yes you can do Chiang Kong in a (long) day and both the above posts are true. Make sure you take a passport photo with you and ideally some US$ as the visa fee is cheaper if you pay in greenbacks.

You made it clear it must be Laos, so no point in telling you that doing your visa run to Burma would only cost 500 Baht and is a quicker journey than Huay Xai.

Chiang Knong can be done in a day. Last time I did it, had plenty of time for a few beers in Huay Xaismile.png

Are you suggesting drinking and driving?

Why not ??

Many are the times i've driven back into Thailand 1/2 cut and with one of those excellent Lao beers in hand.

Are you suggesting drinking and driving?

Isn't that a national past time? We all just hope our families on not in their path.