Another Visa Run Van Crash. 9 Injured.

NomadJoe

According to a local English language news source, a TVR "phuket visa-run.com" van crashed in the way to Rayong on Aug. 13th. A passenger stated that the driver was going very fast and overtaking on a curve when he was forced to swerve to avoid an oncoming vehicle, flipped the van onto it's side and slid into a tree. There are conflicting stories about the number and severity of the injured, but one passenger states that one person has a broken neck, another a broken back. The company spokesman says one person has a broken leg. One commenter states one of the victims is having trouble getting TVR to cover the medical bills. It was reported that the driver returned to work the next day.

I avoid visa-running in these death vans ever since my friend lost his leg in a crash on a Rayong visa run, but I had no choice this time and did a visa run with this same company 3 weeks ago and had the same experience in terms of the driving. The driver drove as fast as possible and overtook on blind corners, tailgated at high speed with mere cm's, nearly running motor bikes off the road. To make matters worse there were no seatbelts on the van. Every visa run or van ride I have ever had in Thailand has been similar, but this was over the top. I wrote an email and complained about the driving and no seat-belts but it obviously didn't make a difference. "We will work to improve things." was the only response I got.

I am not sure why none of the other news sources have ran this story, but perhaps the "Royal Thai Immigration Police" sticker on the front of the TVR "phuket-visa-run.com" vans has something to do with it. If the company is owned by police, there will be little recourse for any of the victims seeking compensation.

From their website "The fun, fast, comfy way to get a visa. The Best Visa Run Service and Safe Trips."

Edited by NomadJoe

Sorry for those unfortunate to be on this VR and hope that the injured recover well. One would think that these vans would be kitted out with seat belts....and unfortunately nothing will ever be done about these drivers driving at breakneck speed. Nobody cares!

Sorry about Passengers but such is life, These vans are at high speed are deathtraps and sliding roof first into a tree with or without belts is such a waste. If you get a chance see how they make Bus frames, small thin square tube with welds that are never smooth and even, bit like bird shit. Train it if you,ve time.

Yep it's joke........ Last year the driver speeding and falling asleep.......... We got there in the end...... Gotta do 2 runs this time round...... Really concidering on my bike or hiring a car...... The cost thing....... Well???..... My life and health worth more than that in some incompetent company's negligent hands..... For sure....

if anyone wants to do one in the next 4-5days just pm me and we can share costs. I have a safe and comfortable car.

Creating a website in order to network people wanting to carpool for visaruns is a great idea. However I could see the visa run companies getting the farang drivers arrested for no work permit/taking a protected Thai job, especially if the company is owned or connected to immigration police as it seems TVR may be.

I forgot to mention that the TVR driver I had, probably the same driver that crashed, said that after driving all day to Rayong and back, he was headed to Penang on an overnight visa run just 2 hours after returning to Phuket. I just checked the date on my email complaining about the unsafe driving. It's dated July 31st, 9 days before the accident. ermm.gif

• Like 1

Creating a website in order to network people wanting to carpool for visaruns is a great idea. However I could see the visa run companies getting the farang drivers arrested for no work permit/taking a protected Thai job, especially if the company is owned or connected to immigration police as it seems TVR may be.

TV could do a sticky. I don't think there is much anyone could do with "friends" doing a visa run. However, flying is the way to go.

Just for clarity, you are talking about Ranong and not Rayong aren't you? If you need to do a run this way, possibly better checking out the regular bus schedules, rather than the madness of the minivan hustle.

Yep it's joke........ Last year the driver speeding and falling asleep.......... We got there in the end...... Gotta do 2 runs this time round...... Really concidering on my bike or hiring a car...... The cost thing....... Well???..... My life and health worth more than that in some incompetent company's negligent hands..... For sure....

Just for clarity, you are talking about Ranong and not Rayong aren't you? If you need to do a run this way, possibly better checking out the regular bus schedules, rather than the madness of the minivan hustle.

Dont know about that, everytime i have gone there i get stuck behind those large govt buses that drive in the oncoming traffic every time there's a 1 degree turn

Yeah sorry, Ranong. I confuse those two at times.