Mcdonald’S Opens 165Th Branch At Star Avenue

khwaibah

Sorry to burst the bubble A. ...according to my sources u should see the first McD in HCM Vietnam next year ...

Laos and Cambodia are still off the charts for now due to supply chain issues but expect this to change when the connecting highways are in full blast ...rumors that the supplies will be trucked in from Kunming

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to mention KFC, Pizza Hut , Subway are already all there :-) enjoy your Gai tod upsize !

While we're enjoying that let's choke down some pollution, bask in global warming, watch our bank accounts shrivel in the economic crisis, and celebrate fruitless wars. In other words, just because something happens, or succeeds in happening, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Sorry to burst the bubble A. ...according to my sources u should see the first McD in HCM Vietnam next year ...

Laos and Cambodia are still off the charts for now due to supply chain issues but expect this to change when the connecting highways are in full blast ...rumors that the supplies will be trucked in from Kunming

You, and your alleged sources say it's just a "supply chain" issue. But then you say they have KFC… But, but, but, if Pizza Hut and Subway can get their supply in, why can't McDonalds? Perhaps your "sources" are, well, full of McDonald's.

My sources say everyone isn't eager to be swallowed up by American culture. They also say that just because something happens doesn't mean it's a good thing: global warming, the economic crisis, the war on terror…

Pretty much everything seems to be going to shit, largely because of corruption, so it does seem fitting that the world be paved over and each and ever country should have McDonald's franchises in it. I think we should put McDonald's in the schools and force feed the monks and elephants McDonalds, too. We might as well go all the way. Let's just make a giant mall in space, fill it with fast food restaurants, move in, and pork ourselves to death.

Putting things in perspective by comparing Thailand and Japan, another Asian country with its own culturally unique cuisine.

Japan, about twice the population of Thailand

Japan, about half the number of tourists annually as Thailand

Japan, 3500+ McDonalds or 21 times the number located in Thailand.

Doesn't look like its tourists being the main group there. wink.png

• Like 1

Putting things in perspective by comparing Thailand and Japan, another Asian country with its own culturally unique cuisine.

Japan, about twice the population of Thailand

Japan, about half the number of tourists annually as Thailand

Japan, 3500+ McDonalds or 21 times the number located in Thailand.

Doesn't look like its tourists being the main group there. wink.png

You might also compare Hong Kong. I've never seen so many Western fast food restaurants as in Hong Kong. But, it doesn't mean that it's the same in Thailand. Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Nepal don't have any, but I won't try to say that it's because the citizens all hate it. Each country is different.

They can afford it in Vietnam, but there are no McDonalds. You stand corrected.

Ever thought of teaching English in Vietnam or Cambodia, to ease your stress?

Who said I haven't already taught there? Ever thought of moving back to the West so you could be in your own culture?

McDonald's doesn't cause me stress. That's the whole point of it. Any Westerner can go into any McDonald's anywhere in the world and feel like he's safe and secure back home, eating the absolutely most familiar food imaginable, in the most familiar and cliched environment. Going to McDonald's in Thailand is a little like reciting your ABC's in a Thai language class. It's just weakly crawling back to what you already know.

The real question is, should the people who are too stressed by living in another culture go back home instead of bringing McDonald's with them?

If you can't live without McDonald's, you probably should stay at home (if you can afford it!). True, many, many people are here not because they like Thailand at all, or have any interest in Thai culture or any culture, but merely because they don't have enough money to live in their own countries. I've seen many a miserable foreigner who can't adapt or acclimate, clinging to the Golden Arches, almost literally, and suffering from depression because they are not in their homeland (though that does tend to be the ones who can't afford to live it up Western style).

I hardly ever eat McDonald's or any other fast food. My diet is mainly home cooked (by a Thai), mostly veg, chicken and fish etc. However, if the Thai's want to have loads of McDonald's because they have decided they like it, then it's their business.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that there are many foreigner's living here because it's cheap.

beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif Dead Horsey beatdeadhorse.gif Stay downclap2.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifemot-kiss.gifvampire.gifsorry.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifthumbsup.gif I think we have pretty well covered this topic. Then again I could be wrong. Have we talked about the sausage McMuffin's?thumbsup.gif

No, but we should, delicious they are, especially the double sausage and egg McMuffin, followed by a crispy hash brown and washed down with freshly brewed coffee. And you don't even need to get out of your car (thanks to the new drive thru branch on the super highway). Thank you Khun Ronald, you legend.

Will have Jok tomorrow instead...smile.png