British Embassy In Bkk

I am planning to travel to the UK in September for my daughter's wedding. I would like to take my Thai girlfriend also. The last time I was in the British Embassy visa section was some five years ago and at that time I recall that there was a 12 week waiting list for visa interviews.

Has anyone been in the visa section recently? Is there still a visa interview waiting list?

Thanks

I was at the embassy about 2 weeks ago. Applied for a visa for my Thai girlfriend we just wanted a one-month visa to visit my family and tour the country. We completed the forms, I put a letter together explaining the purpose of the trip, and a copy of my bank balance. They issued the visa on the same day!

Ditto the previous response.

Late 2001, was in and out in an hour with passport collected the following day.

We had an interview but very informal. We were both asked a few questions over the counter about the purpose of our trip and the nature of our relationship, not a sit down discussion.

Good luck

Thank you all for your responses.

As an aside, I've just read the visa application form and discovered a couple of new questions on there. They can't be serious!

4.27 Have you ever been concerned in the commission, preparation, organisation or support of acts of terrorism, either within or outside the United Kingdom or have you ever been a member of an organisation which has been involved in or advocated terrorism in furtherance of its aims?

4.28 Have you ever been concerned in the commission, preparation or organisation of genocide or crimes, including crimes against humanity and war crimes, committed in the course of armed conflict?

:o

• 1 month later...

Not being British, but being a long time afficiando of bureaucracy, I suspect those questions are a hedge. Kind of reminds me of asking "Have you quit beating your wife?" though.

If they catch you doing something terroristic or genocidal (or find a previous instance at some point down the road), they have an extra charge to add. Gives them another reason to toss you out of the country or plea bargain as the case may be.

Jeepz

I'm living in Khon Kaen with my Thai fiancee and we went to the British Embassy last week for an interview for a visa for her so we could go to the Uk in April so I could have a much needed operation and possibly get married at the same time.

The interviewer told my girlfriend that she (the interviewer) was busy and didn't have lot of time so she (my fiancee) was to answer questions and not ask them.

My girl took with her a folder with every single bill and receipt I've spent since I've been living in Khon Kaen, copies of the deeds and land registry of our house in her name, copies of the finance agreement of our new car in her name, copies of the birth certificate of her 10 year old daughter who lives with us, a copy of the letter from our solicitors (Tilleke & Gibbins) about them acting for us to secure a Marriage Visa in oder for me to stay with her in Thailand and even pictures of our 6 month old shitzu dog.

The application was refused on the grounds that "we are satisfied that you do not intend to leave the UK on completion of your stay".

There is a box on the refusal form for comments about the decision which is blank because she was not asked to comment.

There is a statement on the refusal form that says "The contents have been translated to me in Thai" - they weren't.

She was then asked to sign a form written in English that she couldn't understand - so naturally she refused to sign - she was told by a Thai colleague of the interviewer that is was "mai samkhan" - not important.

I've looked for an emoticon to describe how I feel but they don't quite fit.

(Anyone know if you can sue an Embassy?)

I applied to the British Embassy initially by post (after being advised by them that it would be in order to do so). That was about a month ago so I emailed them to ask how the application was going. I received a reply yesterday stating that I had applied much too early for a September visit, even though I'd requested a visa valid for 1 year.

I wonder if they've cashed the postal order?

I applied to the British Embassy initially by post (after being advised by them that it would be in order to do so). That was about a month ago so I emailed them to ask how the application was going. I received a reply yesterday stating that I had applied much too early for a September visit, even though I'd requested a visa valid for 1 year.

I wonder if they've cashed the postal order?

Among other rules as per the website of the British Embassy a visa should not be applied for any earlier than 3 months before your intended travelling date.

Made the experience if you want to draw any officier (independant from country and nationality) to your side try to follow their rules to the absolute point which usually gets them to smile and makes them happy. If there is a website with guidelines read them carefully prior to making the actually "hit". Don't question the rules just follow them and be ready to pull the "appropriate rabbit out of your hat" as soon as it is asked for. Proper prep work appears to be half the victory already and will avoid unpleasant surprises in the moment of truth. :o

Some 5 to 6 years ago, the visa section of the British Embassy was displaying a notice that stated there could be a 12 week wait for anyone who required to be interviewed in connection with their visa application. In such a case, application not more than 3 months in advance of the date of travel could be considered untimely.

Also, why does the first question on the visa application form ask “If you are applying as a visitor, for how long do you want the visa to be valid?” and thereafter lists 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or 10 years?

Anyway, I've emailed the UK address and asked them (politely) what we are do do next.

• 4 weeks later...

We've now received back all the attachments (including the postal order) which were back-up to the visa application. A note explained that the Entry Clearance Officer had "sifted" through the application and that we were to re-apply in June/July with updated attachments (I guess my bank accounts mainly).

So, we'll see what happens then.

:o