Attention: Mexican Food Lovers (Burito House)

daeng1212

No Americans didn't invent everything, but Mexican-Americans in the San Francisco Mission District USA DID invent the style of burrito that has become an internationally recognized food. The food history about this is relatively recent so that isn't even a controversial theory like many food origin questions; it is known.

post-37101-0-49040900-1364016926_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm . . . I was hoping, as I set off just now to google my way to an answer, that the relative levels of obesity in the United States of American and in Mexico might provide some guidance as to which country's burritos one should gorge on, only to find that the U.S. -- to no one's surprise, I am sure -- is in first place with an obesity level of 30.6% of the population, but that Mexico is the runner up, in second place, with an obesity level of 24.2%.

Conclusion? I'll continue to eat Mexican food rarely and American food even more rarely, and stick to my current preference Japanese food as much as possible. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

American style Mexican food (which includes a number of varieties in itself) is often more health conscious and there are even major chains that focus on health conscious recipes, such as Baja Fresh. Many traditional Mexican recipes use lard and the flavor of that is indeed "authentic" but the taste of lard is much less popular in the USA. On the other hand, the popular Tex-Mex variety is very heavy on melted cheese, MUCH more so than in typical Mexican food in Mexico. There are also of course very many traditional Mexican dishes that are quite healthy. It is a very varied cuisine, among the top ones in the world from a culinary point of view, so very distinctive. Burritos and tacos are a small part of the big picture. Yes I think actually travelling to Mexico for an eating trip, to different regions like Oaxaca is of course the best way to experience this.

BTW, I kind of think lard is to Mexican food like ghee is to Indian food. The more modern versions shy away from both lard and ghee.

Edited by Jingthing

Putting my serious hat back on, Jingthing, I believe that cuisines as such are never themselves the problem behind obesity, but rather habits concerning the quantity and frequency with which their contents are consumed.

Edited by Rasseru

Putting my serious hat back on, Jingthing, I believe that cuisines as such are never themselves the problem behind obesity, but rather habits concerning the quantity and frequency with which their contents are consumed.

I think it's a mix of those two things. For example, American "soul food" is horrendously unhealthy and if you grow up in an environment where that's the food, your chance of becoming fat definitely increases.

Face it. Jingthing is right about Mission district burritos being the best. thumbsup.gif

Mission district aint got nuttin on Houston TX Potosi food trucks !

Ojeda in Dallas is the best ive ever had by far.

Cali style mexican food is for hippies (just look at Jingthing's tie dyed avatar lol).

Tex Mex Rules !

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

I have no doubt there is great Mexican food in Texas! But again the Cali style burrito (specifically developed in the Mission District) is the style that has caught on internationally. That doesn't mean most Cali style burritos you get internationally are great examples of the style; that's another matter.

Here's a large USA chain, mostly selling burritos, that understands what they are selling and where it comes from. They do a good job of it too. Not perfect though. Offering ground (minced) beef in a burrito would NOT be happening in the Mission district!

http://www.qdoba.com/

Our large Mission-style burritos offer endless combinations of only the freshest, most flavorful ingredients.

Edited by Jingthing

Hmmmmm . . . I was hoping, as I set off just now to google my way to an answer, that the relative levels of obesity in the United States of American and in Mexico might provide some guidance as to which country's burritos one should gorge on, only to find that the U.S. -- to no one's surprise, I am sure -- is in first place with an obesity level of 30.6% of the population, but that Mexico is the runner up, in second place, with an obesity level of 24.2%.

Conclusion? I'll continue to eat Mexican food rarely and American food even more rarely, and stick to my current preference Japanese food as much as possible. thumbsup.gif

I think you haven't seen the current crop of young Japanese kids... There is going to be a VERY large crop of new Sumo wrestlers coming into the scene. Taking a walk through a supermarket on a Saturday when it's filled with mother's and their kids is illuminating as much as it's frightening. These kids are little round butterballs today, each running amok on the sugar coated chocolate belly-bomb clutched in each hand. "Thin" is goint to be a soon-forgotten word in Japan. To be fair, a lot of this is from the influx of fast-food places, but Lotte and Nestles are pulling their fair share.

And a BURRITO is the name of a Mexican food dish..Amazing to comprehend I know.

Jing. All you have to state is " in my opinion the best burrito comes from......."

No I don't have to phrase my opinions the way you tell me to. Seriously, people who understand burritos in the SF Mission district and in Mexico (where they aren't even on the menu in MOST of country and they are almost an entirely different food than the California burrito which is what the world knows as a burrito) understand exactly what I mean, and they way you phrased it, isn't what I mean.

The burrito that the WORLD knows is indeed a Mexican style dish, developed in California. Not denying the Mexican roots but that very simple basic provincial version could have never become an internationally significant food, such as pizza.

To be clear I have indeed tried Mexican "roots" burritos, a very simple dish that can indeed be very delicious when the flour tortilla is well made and the meat is delicious. I can understand some people will prefer roots burritos to international burritos but my point again, is that they are DIFFERENT dishes.

While it is true that S.F. Mission district is probably the best neighborhood on the planet to taste this dish, that wasn't my point really. The point is that dish was invented there, comes from there.

Compare to a sandwich. Assuming you believe the Earl of Sandwich story. Is the Vietnamese Banh Mi, also a sandwich, is that origin British or Vietnamese?

The Mexican roots burrito is the sandwich in this example, the basic idea of stuffing something in a flour tortilla. The burrito food that became world famous ... is Californian in origin.

The thing is that Mexico and the USA bleed together in food culture. Large parts of the USA were Mexico. New Mexico style Mexican food for example is totally distinctive, not found in Mexico, and is one of the most wonderful styles of Mexican food that exists.

I'll never eat a burrito again, without thinking of you.wink.png

• Like 1

So if I may, I will bring this thread back down to one brain cell level and offer my opinion.

Its all a matter of personal taste in whatever sector of life and that's why there are varying standards/qualities/prices to Accommodate everyone.

But in my opinion the pre requisite standard for a decent Mexican restaurant has to be:

1. You acquire a salsa stain on your shirt that will not come off.

2 You fart more than you breathe next day.

If you can achieve this then its only fair to report back to TV members

• Like 1

Ok curiousity got me and I checked out Burito House . Was ok but no match for the others in town . The lady running the place was real nice and it was very clean and like the OP says very empty . The food was bland to my taste . I had a chicken burito and a taco with a salad and water 150 baht . The other items on the menu looked good but thats all I tried ....

Gotta say I find expats in Chiang Mai to sometimes be incredibly spoiled. Miguel's certainly isn't the best Mexican joint I've ever eaten at but then I've spent a lot of time in TX and Southern CA. Miguel's is better than some, not as good as others. They certainly do a decent job of it.

I agree completely. If you are coming straight from Mission Street in San Franciso, Miguel's would not be remarkable, but it is excellent compared to most other Mexican restaurants in South East Asia. We are lucky indeed to have so many decent foreign restaurants in Chiang Mai.

That one got me laughing you are comparing mexican restaurants from every place but Mexico.

I was wondering after going through this thread again if any one here has ever ate at a real Mexican restaurant in Mexico.

My experience there was two restaurants side by side advertising the same thing will not always deliver the same thing as well as I have seen the dish change from one day to the next.tongue.png

Well I've worked and traveled quite a bit in Mexico as well and so have eaten a lot of Mexican, mexican food. There are so many regional variations that I'm not sure there is a single "authentic" kind of mexican food.

But then Mexican food changes according to the region and so when I mention that Miguel's reminds me of an LA Mexican restaurant, I mean that it taste like the standard variety of LA but doesn't taste like what I enjoy more which is the spicier Mexican of central Texas.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

There will never be a decent Mexican restaurant anywhere in LOS because they are lacking one simple basic ingredient............MASA flour. You can't make a decent tortilla or tamale without it.

Without MASA, it's just imitation and Taco Bell quality.

• Like 1

How about the companies that make Mexican style tortilla/corn chips in Bangkok? What are they using?

They all use yellow corn flour which is passable for chips, but not for real tortillas or tamales.

Real Masa flour is made from a white dent corn that is starchy and to produce it, it has to be treated with lime powder and further processing [nexamilizied] and it not only brings out the distinctive flavor, but releases enzymes that help digest the proteins.

I've done the whole process from growing the plant from seed and processing the masa flour and I do happen to have some seed [Hickory dent corn] that I will share with anyone wanting to grow it for themselves and maybe share a little with me if it makes to harvest. This is an heirloom seed that is impossible to get here.

PM me if interested.........

My first post to ThaiVisa

I am surprised no one has mentioned Mexican Grill. I am only a customer and have no business association with them.

They recently relocated from Pai and are on the outer side of Canal Road south of Suthep Road.

The burritos are very TexMex and portions are huge. They offer an upsized version and that one is impossible to eat in one sitting.

Also have other TexMex dishes, ribs, Margaritas....

The food is good but the kitchen is very slow... so be warned.

• Like 2

I am surprised no one has mentioned Mexican Grill. I am only a customer and have no business association with them.

They recently relocated from Pai and are on the outer side of Canal Road south of Suthep Road.

The burritos are very TexMex and portions are huge. They offer an upsized version and that one is impossible to eat in one sitting.

I agree with this. The Mexican Grill is where I've had the best Mexican food in Chiang Mai. Their burritos are fantastic as are their margaritas. I'd compare it to 'Mike's' in Pattaya although I havent eaten at Mikes in years.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Mexican Grill.

Have never been. An oversight that I will remedy promptly.

Oversight now has been remedied. Very nice, but location cuts against it for me personally. If it were convenient for me, I'd go fairly regularly.

is this the place across from the PTT gas station on canal road? I saw a sign as i was exiting, and thought to myself "wonder if anyone knows about this place"

best pseudo burritos ive had are the super breakfast burritos from bake and bite so far. Diablos is like designer burritos for tourist.

no matter how many times i pass burrito house in panthip i cant find the courage to go in lol.