Gps In Chiang Mai - Any Good ?

dsfbrit

We are coming to Chiang Mai for a few days. We are hiring a rental car from Hertz at the airport.

We are older so are used to using maps to get around. The hire car has an option of GPS for a couple of hundred baht extra. Does GPS work well in the Chiang Mai area??? Certainly would be useful if it works well.

One other thing. We are going to visit the Wat Pratet Doi Suthep and would like to visit a spectacular waterfall on the way back to Chiang Mai or in the area near the temple. I have seen there are quite a few in the area, but could anyone suggest a good / really big one??

Thanks for your help

GPS works as well here as anywhere. Whether one in a rental car will be as useful and as easy to operate as one that you own, with your own map, only you can answer. Not too far away in Umphang is Tee Lor Su, you can google the name for details. There may be no access to the waterfall at present because of the weather, I believe it is closed off during part of the rainy season each year to traffic, otherwise its a 9km(?) hike. Just depends on when you are intending to visit.

Dellboy218 and HullyGully thanks for your quick replies. Ok so I will do the GPS option then. I will google that waterfall now.

We are arriving on the 6th September - is it very wet up there at the moment ?? I have not checked the weather conditions yet - but is sounds like we will need some umbrellas!!!

Its the rainy season now, but really that not bad, not as much rain as last year

To generalized, most days you will either have a light shower, or a downpour but will not last

Temp is around 25 - 30deg C ish..sometimes overcast

This time of the year its handy to have a umbrella

Don't bother with GPS ,a map is all you need Doi Suthep is visible from all of CM. The old town is 1.5 km square with an old wall, best seen by walking. not much rain ( I still have to water the garden sometimes) and it tends to be short, sharp and in the afternoon, but no promises Umbrellas are VERY cheap here. just come, relax and enjoy yourselves.

GPS works the same everywhere, just depends on whether you have good signal. If you're in a deep valley with lots of forest, signal will be less clear but with a newer model Garmin GPS you'll still have good position. The important thing is whether the GPS has a good and up-to-date map in it to refer to. The Garmin dealer for Thailand sells one, but you'd have to find out whether it's already in the GPS the rental company provides. I understand it's available from EagleGPS in Panthip Plaza downtown for around 2,000 baht according to GT-Rider.

A GPS in a car is a huge help. Most of the maps are in Thai. And if you ask for directions on TV 9 out of 10 times they will give you the location to feed into your GPS.

Yes Doi Suthep is visible from all of CM. But if you don't know where the road to go up it is you can get lost for a while before you find it.

Mind you if you are new to Chiang Mai it is a beautiful city t get lost in. No telling what is asound the corner.

Edited by hellodolly

Consider a secondhand GPS from ebay, they go for around $60-70 USD.

The rental GPS will probably ending up costing the same as buying a secondhand unit, plus you get to keep it.

• Like 1

GPS works as well here as anywhere. Whether one in a rental car will be as useful and as easy to operate as one that you own, with your own map, only you can answer. Not too far away in Umphang is Tee Lor Su, you can google the name for details. There may be no access to the waterfall at present because of the weather, I believe it is closed off during part of the rainy season each year to traffic, otherwise its a 9km(?) hike. Just depends on when you are intending to visit.

Be aware that Umpang is an 8-9 hour drive from Chiang Mai not exactly near the temple.

Thanks very much for all the feedback.

Kered, thanks for pointing that out - I did google it and although it looked good, did seem quite a drive away.

Indy ChiangMai - thanks but we are are there only a few days and have a couple of weeks to decide the other 2 places we will visit.

KRS1 - I have never really thought of getting a GPS system at all - let alone from Ebay 2nd hand - but I may take a look anyway as I like 'newer' technology if its useful. The trouble is I dont really travel anywhere new nowadays, so dont know if I would use it very often - if at all apart from the odd trip once a year.

HelloDolly - I can speak read and write Thai so I dont mind the maps being in Thai - I just thought for 200 baht a day it may save some hassle if there is a GPS telling me where to go.

JCauto - thats the main reason I posted on this forum. I was mainly interested whether the GPS system would actually function in Chiang Mai where from a non-resident of Chiang Mai like me, it looks like the terrain may not be suitable and the signal could get lost. It seems that is not the case and the signal should be OK. As Chiang Mai does not change a lot (?) - well not the routes to the major attractons - I (naively??) thought / hoped the maps would nochange very much anyway

MSG362 - I must say a GPS has never really appealed to me. I dont really travel to new places that often, when I do I dont usually rent a car. . Chiang Mai seemed a bit different as a car is vital in my opinion, to get around and a GPS could make the driving easier (I am the only driver).

Its nice to have friends, but the car will be full up with friends who could end up coming up with great 'short cuts' or whatever that go nowhere!!!

I have decided to look for a waterfall that I can drive to on the way/back from the Doi Suthep Temple.

As much as I love walking I dont think the others in the car will be too keen to walk for a long time (more than 30 minutes) to see a waterfall. Me, I would love it - sigh!

I have found the Si Sang Wan waterfall not far from the temple - it seems OK - it seems very nice and we can paddle in it, sit on it - so a bit of fun.

Could someone please tell me if I can park nearby to it or is it quite a long trek.???

Thanks for your help

Edited by dsfbrit

Be aware that Umpang is an 8-9 hour drive from Chiang Mai not exactly near the temple.

Whoops, speed reading can lead you into trouble cannt it. Nope it aint anywhere near the temple is it, as you rightly say. Not 9 hours either, at least not when I last drove it unless the roads have deteriorated. My apologies Dfsbrit this one is worth it but too far away for you probably. Next best thing will be Doi Inthanon about 60km south of town, the tallest mountain in the country and that has a few waterfalls, not near the temple either but within easy reach

Thanks Dellboy218.

Sadly the people I am with gave me a look of disbelief when I mentioned a long (ish) drive or a walk to a waterfall. They love playing sport and exercising, so they are not lazy as such, but mention walking on a longish trek to a waterfall and they are not keen at all.

I reckon the Si Sang Wan waterfall, although not amazing, looks a bit of fun and can be walked in/on and may be just a short walk (less than 30 minutes) from the car park. Do you know if this is the case??? Is it far from the road to the Doi Suthep temple????

Si Sangwan waterfall looks to be what I call Sisaphan waterfall, and no, you cant drive there, and its a long walk. Maybe an hour downhill from the tourist village.

Mon Tha Tan waterfall is on the way up doi suthep and is the best and easiest to see in the vicinity.

A bit further away on the Pai road (30/40 miles) is the Mok Fa falls, which are very nice, but Doi Inthanon is a lot better

Gps signal here is fine very rarely I dont get a signal, but a quality gps helps

Having driven all around America, Canada, Europe, and SE Asia using only maps, I would say forget the extra cost and use your maps. Someday after a huge solar flare, all of this technology will not function for a while and many people are going to be lost. Good Luck

If your going to wat doi suthep, you may want to go see the royal place past the temple also.

Near the top most point there's also a really nice view point.Take a right when it turns into a black top road just when you start to think you've gone to far.

Thanks very much for all the feedback.

Kered, thanks for pointing that out - I did google it and although it looked good, did seem quite a drive away.

Indy ChiangMai - thanks but we are are there only a few days and have a couple of weeks to decide the other 2 places we will visit.

KRS1 - I have never really thought of getting a GPS system at all - let alone from Ebay 2nd hand - but I may take a look anyway as I like 'newer' technology if its useful. The trouble is I dont really travel anywhere new nowadays, so dont know if I would use it very often - if at all apart from the odd trip once a year.

HelloDolly - I can speak read and write Thai so I dont mind the maps being in Thai - I just thought for 200 baht a day it may save some hassle if there is a GPS telling me where to go.

JCauto - thats the main reason I posted on this forum. I was mainly interested whether the GPS system would actually function in Chiang Mai where from a non-resident of Chiang Mai like me, it looks like the terrain may not be suitable and the signal could get lost. It seems that is not the case and the signal should be OK. As Chiang Mai does not change a lot (?) - well not the routes to the major attractons - I (naively??) thought / hoped the maps would nochange very much anyway

MSG362 - I must say a GPS has never really appealed to me. I dont really travel to new places that often, when I do I dont usually rent a car. . Chiang Mai seemed a bit different as a car is vital in my opinion, to get around and a GPS could make the driving easier (I am the only driver).

Its nice to have friends, but the car will be full up with friends who could end up coming up with great 'short cuts' or whatever that go nowhere!!!

Chiang Mai has a lot of interesting nowhere's. You might want to consider a week stay.

Enjoy your visit.

BillyBobThai - lets hope there is not a solar flare next month as it will mean we have wasted 600 baht on the GPS system!!

KRS1 - good idea - I have included it on the list

HelloDolly - we could come back again sometime.

Slightly off topic now from the original question about GPS - could someone recommend a place that has elephants that we could ride in a nice/fun environment near to Chiang Mai. I have looked at the Patana Elephant park, but that looks a bit more than we wanted. We would just like to look at them and maybe ride them down a river for half an hour - you know the sort of thing. I have never ridden an elephant and for a first attempt half an hour would probably be more than enough.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Slightly off topic now from the original question about GPS - could someone recommend a place that has elephants that we could ride in a nice/fun environment near to Chiang Mai. I have looked at the Patana Elephant park, but that looks a bit more than we wanted. We would just like to look at them and maybe ride them down a river for half an hour - you know the sort of thing. I have never ridden an elephant and for a first attempt half an hour would probably be more than enough.

Check out the Mae Taeng area, specifically Mae Taman. Lots of elephants round here along with zipline, river rafting, ox-carts. 30-40 minutes North of Chiang Mai at a leisurely pace, about halfway to Chiang Dao if you fancy a visit to the caves.

post-142120-0-90876400-1345612692_thumb.

On the subject of GPS - mine is a Garmin and it's decent-ish. Just don't rely on it for turn-by-turn directions in town, it'll drive you bonkers.

ProdigalSon - I missed your post - sorry - I dont think any of us has an Iphone.

Thanks Bobi I will look into that - although when I looked at some other elephant parks they seemed to have elephants playing football and painting - not sure what thats all about???