Three Foreigners Killed In Road Accident

huski

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reminds me of a ride in a minibus from Chaweng to Nathon in a minibus, on my way to Myanmar.

I was sitting next to the driver, who kept falling asleep. He nearly drove off the road, just braking in time.

I had to keep talking to him. It didn't reassure me at all that he kept reaching out and stroking the Buddha amulet that was hanging from his rear view mirror.

I was glad when I got to Nathon and found out that we were not continuing with the same driver and minibus.

Mind you, the second driver was of the 'overtaking on blind humps and bends' ilk.

I hope that by reading this thread, more accidents are prevented by the passengers taking a closer interest in their driver and vehicle.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Also the coverment should punish the rental services who rent a car or bike to tourists without license.

BUT WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT, MONEY OR LIVES?????? :o

Your home country drivers licence is perfectly valid in Thailand for 1 year.

I seem to recall that when I was driving in Thailand some five years and more ago it was necessary to hold an international driving licence. When such licence was issued the notes indicated that for most countries for which it was valid this was for one year from issue. Thailand was noted as different in that validity was for three months only. The note was ambiguous as to whether the three months was from date of issue or from entry into Thailand. Presumably the short period was devised as a revenue gatherer.

Its so tragic, my thoughts are with the family and friends. I had best say no more as i get so angry thinking of these bastards wiping out a whole family. :o

Tragic and DESPICABLE these high risk drivers are allowed to continue.

Why don't they license and monitor these idiots. So typical of Thailand.

These are the same style minibuses that cram tourists in like sardines and speed them to Rayong, Trat and such?

I took one to Ko Samet once and was terrified not to mention furious at the lack of responsibility for the lives of others. They think they will just go to Bhuddaland if they die so are laid back and careless and don't seem to value their lives, which is fine if they are not taking a minibusload of tourists with them. :D

Upon our arrival he had the audacity to expect a tip and I felt like slapping him and since then I have taken the VIP bus or in the case of Samui, the overnight train, which is in my opinion the best way to travel in Thailand.

These same vans will be plying their routes as we speak; Southern bus terminal to Hat Yai......Khoas San to Surathani......Khoa San to Koh Chang.....etc. etc..

Despite all the protestations on this thread.....I doubt, whether anyone will do anything about it.

My job is taking care of the dead and injured in Thailand. Here are some things may want to know. Around 70% of the dead and injured at night have alcohol in their blood.

Driving licences can be bought readily and easily for 500 Thai baht.

Even if a Thai owns a real licence, driving instuction and testing is not only sub-standard but bizzare at times.

Brides to police range from 100 to 300 Thai baht (for Thais).

Drivers are generally underpaid and overworked. "10 wheelers" as they are called here, are often in needless accidents because of driver error. Vans, because of sleep depravation.

Street lighting and vehicle lighting is inadequate and unmonitored. If there are ever campaigns to monitor this, bribes are used to escape more heafty fines.

Roads are sub-standard and down right dangerous! The BKK-Chon buri motorway is one of the worst in the whole country. Thaksin personally said no to a proposed upgrade of this road! This is from the Engineers mouth in charge of the proposal.

Actually more foreigners die on this road and in Pattaya than any other one place in Thailand. The amount of foreigners killed by rented motorcycles in and around Pattaya is scandelous too (no need to have a driving licence, just a passport will do).

Thais are generally nice people, but behind the wheel of a vehicle they become very aggressive and violent because of the stresses of driving in a crazy environment coupled with their inadequate driving skills. Not just aggressive driving, but actual road rage, and the use of weapons and hand-guns at the scenes of accidents is prevelant! Beware.

I love Thailand and thats why I stay and volunteer here but am so sad when the government doesn't accept its responsiblities for all the above!

Thanks being here and helping and making others aware of what needs changing it is a start !

We need to put 1 minute spots on TV once an hour ibeteween programs nstructing people of good thinking not passing on turns learn to brake and slow down people here keep on charging along even when they see trouble, let people merge, and many other things

That might work to positive impact, show few more casualities on road everyday on TV, and make it commersials, yes. Great idea. Gory details and everything. Following don't drink and drive/ Not, drink don't drive!

AND not to change lanes for no reason at all (a favorite local pastime it seems).

Interesting thing about the lane change. I was stopped by the police somewhere between Korat and Khon Kaen a few years ago for STAYING in the "passing" lane. It's evidently NOT like the US and elsewhere where you basically have a fast lane and a slow lane when you are on a divided highway. In Thailand (at least according to the guy who stopped me) you can ONLY be in the "passing" lane when you are going to pass someone (what a concept) but you CANNOT stay in the passing lane if you are just driving along comfortably. Hey ... T.I.T.

Edited by Moo Dohn

AND not to change lanes for no reason at all (a favorite local pastime it seems).

Interesting thing about the lane change. I was stopped by the police somewhere between Korat and Khon Kaen a few years ago for STAYING in the "passing" lane. It's evidently NOT like the US and elsewhere where you basically have a fast lane and a slow lane when you are on a divided highway. In Thailand (at least according to the guy who stopped me) you can ONLY be in the "passing" lane when you are going to pass someone (what a concept) but you CANNOT stay in the passing lane if you are just driving along comfortably. Hey ... T.I.T.

This has nothing to do with T.I.T., it is in all european countries that I am aware of the same!

You are NOT allowed to stay in the overtaking lane if you are not overtaking and this makes perfect sense! At least to me.....

If this rule makes sense in Thailand is a different subject.. :o

!

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly. Are you saying you pay your drivers extra to drive more than 11 hours a day? :o

Am I the only one who feels that 11 hours driving in one day is grossly excessive?

I can see why you need safe vehicles.

I read somewhere in the states that commercial drivers can only drive for 10 max before they have to rest for at least 8 hours. But you pay your drivers extra to keep on driving.

Dosen't that seem dangerous? :D

In North America, insurance companies will not pay a dime if they can prove that you have exceeded on the amount of time you have been driving.

True, the fast lane is not to be used for long distances.

The one thing Thai drivers are missing is... Paranoia.

In North America you will look in your rear view mirror if you burn a red light, you won't drive like a mad man in traffic because you KNOW that eventually there will be an unmarked car somewhere or speed trap or police car catching up with you. I ve said this many times, unnfortunately here in Thailand, you never see any traffic police cruising the roads and stopping people on the spot when commiting infractions. Police officers are only there following an accident.

This has nothing to do with T.I.T., it is in all european countries that I am aware of the same!

You are NOT allowed to stay in the overtaking lane if you are not overtaking and this makes perfect sense! At least to me..... If this rule makes sense in Thailand is a different subject.. :o

Ah.... that expalins it ... we do not have that law in the US. It is understood that if you are going slower... or the speed limit ... then you need to stay in the right lane... if you are going faster, etc. stay in the left. There is no need to constantly move over to the right lane on a deserted highlway (unless you see someone coming along faster in your rear-view mirror of course)... And in crowded driving situations, you can simply get more traffic moving by allowing driving in both lanes versus having to stay out of one lane.

You are NOT allowed to stay in the overtaking lane if you are not overtaking and this makes perfect sense! At least to me..... If this rule makes sense in Thailand is a different subject.. :o

Ah.... that expalins it ... we do not have that law in the US. It is understood that if you are going slower... or the speed limit ... then you need to stay in the right lane... if you are going faster, etc. stay in the left. There is no need to constantly move over to the right lane on a deserted highlway (unless you see someone coming along faster in your rear-view mirror of course)... And in crowded driving situations, you can simply get more traffic moving by allowing driving in both lanes versus having to stay out of one lane.

Does that make any sense? You will still end up moving over to the slower lane anyway...

Does that make any sense? You will still end up moving over to the slower lane anyway...

Yes - the law in the UK is quite clear - all traffic must remain in the near-side (L.H.) lane except when overtaking, regardless of how many lanes there are. However this is not always appreciated by UK drivers!.

Furthermore in the UK there is no law against undertaking (passing on the inside), you may however find yourself facing a charge of driving without due care and attention or similar.

UK has some of the most crowded roads in the world and one of the lowest accident rates...having driven in the States, Europe and Australia and Asia I notice that in countries with large roads and cars (i.e. Australia and the States), drivers tend to develop their own style of relaxed driving. Plenty of space to U-turn and manoeuver, long slip roads and few roundabouts, lazy lane changing. This means that driving in either a more disciplined (European) or more frenetic (Asian) environment can take a lot of getting used to. Add to this the fact that Thailand drives (mostly!?!) on the other side of the road to the U.S., there is quite a culture shock awaiting them when they start driving here.

I used the motorway yesterday and saw the remains of a mini van, which I assume was the one in question sitting in the "scrap heap" on the north bound lane at the service centre.

Trust me it was not a pretty sight with the front section totally flattened and pushed back suggesting that the front section occupants had no chance - not nice.

On the previously raised subject of MoT or annual mechanical inspections, this is a requirement in Thailand for any vehicle over 7 years old and a pass certificate is required before annual licensing is allowed to take place.

I know this because on Monday I had to go through the ritual with my pick up. however, for the cost of 150 baht, someone checked the chassis/engine numbers against the log book, carried out a brake test using a digital brake roller and then checked the emissions from the exhaust. That was it, no steering tests,no under body/ chassis tests, no checking of lights etc etc.

Upon completion it was explained to me that the vehicle had failed as the hand brake was 1% below the required limit AND THEN proceeded to give me a pass certificate.

And no this examination was not done in some little back street garage but right outside the main entrance to the Bangkok LTO office and whilst at the LTO I witnessed many a vehicle that was being registered that I personally would be too embarrassed to give to a scrap yard !!!!

Its so tragic, my thoughts are with the family and friends. I had best say no more as i get so angry thinking of these bastards wiping out a whole family. :o

Tragic and DESPICABLE these high risk drivers are allowed to continue.

Why don't they license and monitor these idiots. So typical of Thailand.

It's just an accident, I doubt very much it was a suicide crash on behalf of the driver, who also had a family and loved ones.

You guys make me cringe, whenever a Thai driver is involved, you guys all come out slating Thai people, what about the 42,000 people that will die on US roads this year, and last year, and the year before that, acicdents are accidents, are the drivers of the cars in USA all Thais? Or are USA traffic accidents different cos farangs are at the wheel?

The worst drivers I have ever seen in Thailand are farangs, but wait a minute, that must be wrong, cos farangs are perfect right?

There will not be over 40,000 deaths on the roads in USA this year, cos farangs are driving, right?

I think in addition to TEFL, bus/truck/and taxi driving as a career should be added to the list of "occupations open to foreigners."

:o

And as over 40.000 people a year die on US roads in acccidents, maybe we need only US drivers to make the Thai roads safer eh?

I'm sure US drivers can show these Thai's a thing or two about road safety, hence the only 40,000 + deaths each year on US roads, a mere pittance compared with Thailands measly 14000, when will these Thais shape up and become perfect, just like farangs?

I think in addition to TEFL, bus/truck/and taxi driving as a career should be added to the list of "occupations open to foreigners."

:o

And as over 40.000 people a year die on US roads in acccidents, maybe we need only US drivers to make the Thai roads safer eh?

I'm sure US drivers can show these Thai's a thing or two about road safety, hence the only 40,000 + deaths each year on US roads, a mere pittance compared with Thailands measly 14000, when will these Thais shape up and become perfect, just like farangs?

Any farang who comes here and expects to drive to the same rules he does at home is going to be putting himself and his passenngers at risk...not to mention any other pasers-by or road users...

And the carnage on US roads each year is down to what, responsible driving?

I witnessed road rage in Pattaya when an irate fat farang started screaming at some Thai guy cos he felt the Thai guy was in the wrong, of course, when the Thai guy got out of his car the Farang fled the scene in typical fashion, huffing and puffing his way to his heart attack, boring the crap outta his long suffering Thai girlfriend who is totally embarressed by his flagrant displays of " I'm a Farang, hence I must be right " attitude.

And the carnage on US roads each year is down to what, responsible driving?

I witnessed road rage in Pattaya when an irate fat farang started screaming at some Thai guy cos he felt the Thai guy was in the wrong, of course, when the Thai guy got out of his car the Farang fled the scene in typical fashion, huffing and puffing his way to his heart attack, boring the crap outta his long suffering Thai girlfriend who is totally embarressed by his flagrant displays of " I'm a Farang, hence I must be right " attitude.

Of course there are bad farang drivers and of course accidents will happen everywhere no matter what. BUT, every single day when I venture out onto the Thai roads, I see complete insanity. Drivers going the wrong way down a major road, running red lights, changing multiple lanes at once, passing on totally blind corners, passing head on into oncoming traffix assuming that the oncoming car will dip onto the side of the road and on and on. THESE DRIVERS ARE ######ING INSANE! Sure there are bad drivers in the West, but you don't see this kind of madness daily.

Of course there are bad farang drivers and of course accidents will happen everywhere no matter what. BUT, every single day when I venture out onto the Thai roads, I see complete insanity. Drivers going the wrong way down a major road, running red lights, changing multiple lanes at once, passing on totally blind corners, passing head on into oncoming traffix assuming that the oncoming car will dip onto the side of the road and on and on. THESE DRIVERS ARE ######ING INSANE! Sure there are bad drivers in the West, but you don't see this kind of madness daily.

Sure there are bad drivers in the West, but you don't see this kind of madness daily.

But you do here...so get used to it and learn how to drive and survive in Thailand.

Expect the unexpected..

Edited by wilko

Lets put some perspective back into this.....

Some have talked about the amount of daily traffic on this road....there will always be accidents on such a heavily used road....Ok this time it was farangs that got killed...but many Thais have lost their lives too...With that amount of traffic accidents are inevitable.

Maybe inevitable, but a hel_l of a lot of accidents on that road are avoidable. Perspective or not, the standard of driving in Thailand is crap and it does influence the road toll.

But you do here...so get used to it and learn how to drive and survive in Thailand.

Expect the unexpected..

I agree with this, although I don't necessarily agree that the worst drivers in Thailand are farang. There are too few foriegners driving here to have any meaningful impact on accident rates etc.

Maigo6 you say 40000 death occur on US road every year compared to 14000 (US data from 2002, Thai data from 2000) in Thailand even so compare to the UK which only had 3508 deaths (2003) on the road. So you can hardly say thai roads are safe.

The problem with quoting numbers like this is that its not really accurate, really we should be comparing the numbers from the same years to make a fairer comparison. And what would be more interesting is a breakdown of the causes of these accidents (I suspect a lot in Thailand are due to drunk driving)

There are far more cars on the road now in thailand than in 2000 and I suspect somewhat more road deaths last year than 14000 however the MIB haven't released data since 2000 so for now you can't do an accurate comparison.

So based on the above data, I surmise that Thai and US Citizens should not be allowed to drive in Thailand, only UK drivers in order to make the roads safer :D

Actually my own personal view on driving here is only that if Thai drivers were more aware of what is going on around them whilst driving and were a little more courtious (it would be nice to be able to merge with traffic without having a battle of wills against another thai driver that "just has to be in front" because I might delay them arriving at there destination by 5 seconds) then there would be less accidents, freer flowing traffic and happier people all around :o

:D

Woooosh. :D Talk about missing the point! Whay are you so fixated on the US? (which BTW has a population about 4 times that of Thailand, a hel_l of a lot more cars and god knows how many more roads).

I don't see people here claiming that farang drivers are perfect - of course they aren't. I choose to drive in the same way I do in my own country - carefully, considerately and at a reasonable speed. I don't agree that you should drive like the locals - the odds are bad enough as it is. The fact remains.... the road toll here is a problem and there doesn;t seem to be too many people who care enough to really do something about it. Debate on the topic is healthy, so why try to squash it with anti-US rhetoric like this? Some of you guys have been here too long..... :o

It is impossible to apply western-level driving rules and techniques in Thailand. At the end of the day, whether the Thais admit it or not, this is a developing, third-world country. Sure, there are 'islands' of high-tech development that could rival the West. But the vast majority of the country and the people are 'third-world'.

For me. I'm happy to live in a country which is so very different to my old homeland. And I accept all the apparent 'faults' that go with this new homeland.

THESE DRIVERS ARE ######ING INSANE! Sure there are bad drivers in the West, but you don't see this kind of madness daily.

So why are many people killed on the roads in European countries?

Edited by Maigo6

LOS deaths in 2002: 14,000

UK deaths in 2002: 3,450

Population and number of drivers: roughly comparable.

I think you may have the question the wrong way around.

LOS deaths in 2002: 14,000

UK deaths in 2002: 3,450

Population and number of drivers: roughly comparable.

I think you may have the question the wrong way around.

If the UK had the same ammount of motorcycle riders as Thailand does, then you may well see similar figures, 70% of road deaths in Thailand are Motorcycle riders or Passengers.