Thaksin Ends Visit, U.S. On Defensive

webfact

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

It is political, only in the sense that he was in office when he committed a crime that wasn't about politics, just money. He must feel like an idiot sometimes, his greed cost him his "face"

Absolutely correct. He hides behind this "political" facade, but the truth is, he is a criminal.

He says he wants to show that he can go anywhere except Thailand. The truth on that point is that he can come to Thailand, no-one is stopping him ... but he has to accept that he will be arrested and imprisoned as soon as he lands here.

If by some freak government decision, he isn't arrested, then I'm afraid this government will have to take full responsibility for the political turmoil, perhaps indeed, civil war, that will ensue...!!

Of course Taksin is controversial. He Taksin is a world statesman and as such millions of people inside and outside of Thailand wish to hear what he has to say. It is also not surprising that wealthy democrats that want to see Taksin destroyed can afford to follow him around the world on spoiling expeditions. Such expeditions are an embarrassment to Thailand. However free speech is their right. This is true however selfish and divisive their cause. At times I begin to doubt the sanity of my peers on Thai Visa. The cause of the situation that is threatening to tear Thailand apart is the ashes of an illegal Military Coup that brought down the legitimate Government of this beautiful country that was doing fine. The so called democrats are not democratic at all. At every opportunity democrats indicate that they wish to return to the pre-Taksin days of endless coups and failed government both military and Democratic. Each of these phases culminated in suffocating circumstances, as at present. Without a redraft of the constitution Thailand cannot heal. It is true of course that if the revised constitution is rational Taksin should be able to return to Thailand safely to participate in the reconciliation of this great nation. Will Taksin become Prime-Minister again? Who knows! Can he come back safely while the Democrats continue to mourn the failure of their most recent military government. Some democrats speak out in favor of another military coup. Why? Is it so that their friends in the military can assist them in a continuing exploitation of the majority of the Thai people? What if Taksin comes back and elements of the extreme or fundamentalist democrats assassinate him. Do you think that would be good for Thailand? In reconciliation we have to reconcile an illegal Military Coup de tare and an outrageous penalty on conviction of a misdemeanour of a kind that is committed without embarrassment by ordinary Thais that love their wife anytime she wants to exert her human right to be treated as an equal or normal human being. For that Taksin was fined some 47 billion of his own money and sentenced to two years in prison. This is what also has to be reconciled. We can leave our reconciliation with the democrats that behaved like hooligans in stranding thousands of law abiding visitors and Thai business men wishing to go about their business overseas. I refer to the democrat occupation of Sukhuvami airport. Now that really does deserve a fine of 47 Billion Baht. I have no deeply held opinion on Taksin returning to govern Thailand. But I do know that Thailand desperately needs a man of his calibre in the top job. In the meantime our Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra appears to be quietly attending to the people, which of course what Premiers are for.

He Taksin is a world statesman.blink.png
  • Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ASTV reports that the US authorities also became concerned about possible repercussions of his visit, so much so he was advised to keep a low profile and quietly leave the country. The reports could not be verified.

But, let's run it anyway!

It's not at all unusual for news organizations to report on what's being speculated ... that too is news. However, the press should well stipulate that it is indeed speculation ... which this article did (as you quoted yourself).

"Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

​ Absolutely correct. Even the coup makers were making a political statement in executing the coup, all be it an illegal method of removing a democratically elected prime minister from power. Impeachment is the appropriate method. In exile Taksin continues to express his views without malice toward anyone. His campaign flourishes under the concept of free speech which is applauded by all of the free in our world. Unlike the 'yellow shirts' Taksin is not using the right of free speech to embarrass or compromise Thailand or any of her institutions.

He was an expired Acting PM,

he removed himself from being PM by disolving Parliamentcalling the snap election.

And his Tempt PM status expired because he failed spectacularly to

run an election within 90 days of Dossolution of Parliament.

He also was not reconfirmed by the head of state for a 2nd Acting PM term.

So the army deposed an usurper ACTING PM, acting extra-constitutionally.

Wasn't it more like, yes he removed himself as PM, and the country was then governed by a Caretaker govt? Either which way you want to cut and dice it, the coup was illegal.

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

It is political, only in the sense that he was in office when he committed a crime that wasn't about politics, just money. He must feel like an idiot sometimes, his greed cost him his "face"

Absolutely correct. He hides behind this "political" facade, but the truth is, he is a criminal.

He says he wants to show that he can go anywhere except Thailand. The truth on that point is that he can come to Thailand, no-one is stopping him ... but he has to accept that he will be arrested and imprisoned as soon as he lands here.

If by some freak government decision, he isn't arrested, then I'm afraid this government will have to take full responsibility for the political turmoil, perhaps indeed, civil war, that will ensue...!!

Of course Taksin is controversial. He Taksin is a world statesman and as such millions of people inside and outside of Thailand wish to hear what he has to say.

A huge contingent of those "millions of people inside and outside Thailand"... well, at least 24 or so of them...

during the Great American Flop Tour 2012....

And yet another huge crowd listening to Thaksin...in Las Vegas..

486617_226885527434360_600559816_n.jpg

http://www.thaivisa....75#entry5562331

btw, His name is most often transliterated as Thaksin and not Taksin, which is spelled differently and pronounced differently in Thai.

Edited by Buchholz

ASTV reports that the US authorities also became concerned about possible repercussions of his visit, so much so he was advised to keep a low profile and quietly leave the country. The reports could not be verified.

It's not at all unusual for news organizations to report on what's being speculated ... that too is news. However, the press should well stipulate that it is indeed speculation ... which this article did (as you quoted yourself).

The speculation is not without basis.

Thaksin ended the Great American Flop Tour 2012 nearly a week early and unceremoniously.

Also, the tour ended when the stronger protestations (eg. not maintaining a low profile) occurred.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Of course Taksin is controversial. He Taksin is a world statesman and as such millions of people inside and outside of Thailand wish to hear what he has to say. It is also not surprising that wealthy democrats that want to see Taksin destroyed can afford to follow him around the world on spoiling expeditions. Such expeditions are an embarrassment to Thailand. However free speech is their right. This is true however selfish and divisive their cause. At times I begin to doubt the sanity of my peers on Thai Visa. The cause of the situation that is threatening to tear Thailand apart is the ashes of an illegal Military Coup that brought down the legitimate Government of this beautiful country that was doing fine. The so called democrats are not democratic at all. At every opportunity democrats indicate that they wish to return to the pre-Taksin days of endless coups and failed government both military and Democratic. Each of these phases culminated in suffocating circumstances, as at present. Without a redraft of the constitution Thailand cannot heal. It is true of course that if the revised constitution is rational Taksin should be able to return to Thailand safely to participate in the reconciliation of this great nation. Will Taksin become Prime-Minister again? Who knows! Can he come back safely while the Democrats continue to mourn the failure of their most recent military government. Some democrats speak out in favor of another military coup. Why? Is it so that their friends in the military can assist them in a continuing exploitation of the majority of the Thai people? What if Taksin comes back and elements of the extreme or fundamentalist democrats assassinate him. Do you think that would be good for Thailand? In reconciliation we have to reconcile an illegal Military Coup de tare and an outrageous penalty on conviction of a misdemeanour of a kind that is committed without embarrassment by ordinary Thais that love their wife anytime she wants to exert her human right to be treated as an equal or normal human being. For that Taksin was fined some 47 billion of his own money and sentenced to two years in prison. This is what also has to be reconciled. We can leave our reconciliation with the democrats that behaved like hooligans in stranding thousands of law abiding visitors and Thai business men wishing to go about their business overseas. I refer to the democrat occupation of Sukhuvami airport. Now that really does deserve a fine of 47 Billion Baht. I have no deeply held opinion on Taksin returning to govern Thailand. But I do know that Thailand desperately needs a man of his calibre in the top job. In the meantime our Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra appears to be quietly attending to the people, which of course what Premiers are for.

Words fail me.rolleyes.gif

so..........post-9891-0-87123600-1345549635.gif

• Like 1

It is also not surprising that wealthy democrats that want to see Taksin destroyed can afford to follow him around the world on spoiling expeditions.

I'm still gob-smacked at the suggestion that the people who were protesting, outside the shabby Thai-eateries where Thaksin met his seemingly-few US-supporters, are "wealthy democrats that ... can afford to follow him around the world", rather than the ordinary working-class Thais expressing their opinions, that they appeared to be.

Do many hi-so Thais hanker after spending their holidays in this way, I wonder ?

Perhaps Mr Thaksin, who recently professed to now be worth under a million dollars, might recover some of his costs by selling them seats on his private jet, so that they can all be elite together ! rolleyes.gif

Just another example of America's duplicity. It's ok for a convicted criminal to visit the US, but they will use all kinds of illegal pressure on UK and Sweeden to harass Asange.

I have not troble with "real politik", that's just the way of life. But when americans strut around the world and lecture other countries about human rights, press freedoms, and the rule of law it's the height of hypocracy. I don't have much love for China but i applaud when they tell the US to sit down and shut up. And since China is the largest single US creditor and the new rising super-power their words carry more and more weight.

It's time for the US bully to learn the lesson.

Sheer stupidity. Also, we have China's money and without us China's Yuan would appreciate so rapidly that their entire economy would implode and the demand for their exports would all but vanish overnight. US could also keep 3.2 trillion of China's government money and perhaps another trillion of of it's private money if China stepped out of line. I think the term would be US has made China it's little biotch from an economic perspective and we keep them afloat and their goods cheap because other economies, such as Thailand, depend upon cheap China imports.

• Like 1

"Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

​ Absolutely correct. Even the coup makers were making a political statement in executing the coup, all be it an illegal method of removing a democratically elected prime minister from power. Impeachment is the appropriate method. In exile Taksin continues to express his views without malice toward anyone. His campaign flourishes under the concept of free speech which is applauded by all of the free in our world. Unlike the 'yellow shirts' Taksin is not using the right of free speech to embarrass or compromise Thailand or any of her institutions.

he removed himself from being PM by disolving Parliamentcalling the snap election.

Wasn't it more like, yes he removed himself as PM, and the country was then governed by a Caretaker govt? Either which way you want to cut and dice it, the coup was illegal.

The coup would never have happened had Thaksin not illegally lied and attempted a cover up re hidden his assets ect. going way back to when he first took office as " CEO "

He was also guilty of illegally bribing certain constitutional judges to minipulate the voting that enabled him to keep his unlawful premiership.

Sadly much of the infamy connected to him and others would not have happened either nor most importantly all the murders and other inhuman acts that took place on his orders / with his consent. sad.png

That is fact and his intentions were illegally dishonest... not an honest mistake as he said.

For anyone conveniently forgetting it ,this is yet another reminder for you all.

marshbags mellow.png

Edited by marshbags

He never feels like an idiot. Idiots never acknowledge themselves as idiots.

First off - please forgive my ignorance, I ask the following questions cause I am curious.

I see a lot of anti-Thaksin hate on this forum.

I understand he presumably was corrupt and did some criminal acts - but aren't *MOST* politicians in LOS corrupt criminals? Why single him out?

It seems the poor folks loved him. So I presume he must've done SOMETHING right during his tenure? Right?

• Like 2

Without interfering with any political debate in Thailand where I consider myself merely as a guest, I just wanted to make a short observation. The new Senate Speaker expressed so to say his worries that by jailing Thaksin, they just would turn him into a states man. Somehow the Thai nation, reds and yellows alike, still likes the man seen the amount of free publicity he gets in the news. If their concern really is to bring down his popularity and influence, why do they not just deny the man, keep silence about what he does and says and work behind the scene to reach their goal. Of course his running mates will do whatever necessary to keep him interesting.

Just have a look the way Belgium takes care of such politicians.

Let me make clear that in no way I'm against or pro Thaksin. I just wonder the way politics works here.

Edited by stefb1964

First off - please forgive my ignorance, I ask the following questions cause I am curious.

I understand he presumably was corrupt and did some criminal acts - but aren't *MOST* politicians in LOS corrupt criminals? Why single him out?

It seems the poor folks loved him. So I presume he must've done SOMETHING right during his tenure? Right?

IMO, it wasn't just that he was corrupt, as so many people in Thailand are, for me it's that we was VERY corrupt AND Prime Minister. One of the reasons he's being singled out is because he's trying to get back into the position of PM to continue his corruption.

The poor love him because he happened to be PM during a world wide economic boom.

• Like 1

IMO, it wasn't just that he was corrupt, as so many people in Thailand are, for me it's that we was VERY corrupt AND Prime Minister. One of the reasons he's being singled out is because he's trying to get back into the position of PM to continue his corruption.

The poor love him because he happened to be PM during a world wide economic boom.

True enough. Even Gordon Brown seemed like he knew what he was doing during those economic good times.

There was a Deputy PM who became Acting PM, and Thaksin a week later threw him out of the job as he was going to try and be reinvested in the acting position.

You also forget the patently faked, lame-ass assignation attempt

and moves for a State of Emergency or Martial Law with Thaksin as sole leader...

I believe if anything triggered the coup it was his half assed attempt to take power by that subterfuge.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Without interfering with any political debate in Thailand where I consider myself merely as a guest, I just wanted to make a short observation. The new Senate Speaker expressed so to say his worries that by jailing Thaksin, they just would turn him into a states man. Somehow the Thai nation, reds and yellows alike, still likes the man seen the amount of free publicity he gets in the news. If their concern really is to bring down his popularity and influence, why do they not just deny the man, keep silence about what he does and says and work behind the scene to reach their goal. Of course his running mates will do whatever necessary to keep him interesting.

Let me make clear that in no way I'm against of pro Thaksin. I just wonder the way politics works here.

Politics is like looking through the looking glass here, but it is a funhouse mirror for sure.

Just another example of America's duplicity. It's ok for a convicted criminal to visit the US, but they will use all kinds of illegal pressure on UK and Sweeden to harass Asange.

I have not troble with "real politik", that's just the way of life. But when americans strut around the world and lecture other countries about human rights, press freedoms, and the rule of law it's the height of hypocracy. I don't have much love for China but i applaud when they tell the US to sit down and shut up. And since China is the largest single US creditor and the new rising super-power their words carry more and more weight.

What great nation do you represent? Sent anyone to the moon lately? This is offensive and cannot even spell. Shows intellect behind comments that attack all Americans who send aid to every disaster around the world. That wonderful communist country of China has a few problems of its own over the years.

• Like 2

I am neither for or against Thaksin. I think you are being too harsh on him for the financial gains. Let's not forget that during his reign, farangs have a much easier time renewing their visa, e.g. crossing borders gives you one month visas and there is no limit to any amount of times you go! Now, you can do it only 3 to 4 times & you get only 15 days each time (MEAN). Registering & maintaining a farangs' company now costs more and is more restricted with the 4 staffs requirements! During Thaksin everything was easy for farangs! I don't know why the idiots are still persecuting him for something which every government in the world is doing! Making financial gains for themselves.

Dudes, give him a break!

That is incorrect.

It became harder for Farangs during Thaksins tenure. < (Reign: which implies he was royal, NOT used)

All the anti-farang feeling racheted up during Thaksins nationalism campaigns.

There were no unlimited visas, during his time.

You can get visas on arrival for 15 days, but still get 2, 90 day visas if preapplied for.

I got 90 days during Thaksin's tenure, you can still do that.

4 staff was needed back then during Thakisn.

EVERYTHING costs more now, from soup to nuts and companies too.

Just because in many governments there are people making profit for their friends,

selves and backers, doesn't mean ANY of them should get a pass if the get caught.

Many do get caught convicted and serve jail time for it.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

As far as being too hard on him,

tell that to all those injured or killed by his attempts to retake power for himself.

2009 and 2010 violence would not have happened without his instigation.

Simple fact.

Tourist Visa has been 30 days in every regime since 2003. Seems some numbers are getting confusing. No Thia regime is really friendly for farangs that are not tourists. Many expats are looking elsewhere because of it.

Let me make clear that in no way I'm against or pro Thaksin. I just wonder the way politics works here.

The old Media saying "Any publicity is good publicity" is true,in Thaksins case no publicity must be a nightmare for him,if that ever became a reality,then he will know he is finished. Our views are not considered,so we would not need to stop our discussions.

What great nation do you represent? Sent anyone to the moon lately? This is offensive and cannot even spell. Shows intellect behind comments that attack all Americans who send aid to every disaster around the world. That wonderful communist country of China has a few problems of its own over the years.

Yeah, but what has the US done lately, besides f#$k with sovereign nations for decades based on political and financial gains. No, the US used to be respected around the world for the good it did, but no longer. Today, the US is known more for it's hypocritical foreign policy and the joke which is the Washington elites who can't find their ass with both hands, much less run a country. Oh, BTW, I'm an American too so don't bring up "you would all be speaking German if it weren't for US saving your ass" diatribe.

Thaksin ended the Great American Flop Tour 2012 nearly a week early and unceremoniously.

Also, the tour ended when the stronger protestations (eg. not maintaining a low profile) occurred.

He is in a hurry back home, has some "photoshop"ing to do.cheesy.gif

It is also not surprising that wealthy democrats that want to see Taksin destroyed can afford to follow him around the world on spoiling expeditions.

I'm still gob-smacked at the suggestion that the people who were protesting, outside the shabby Thai-eateries where Thaksin met his seemingly-few US-supporters, are "wealthy democrats that ... can afford to follow him around the world", rather than the ordinary working-class Thais expressing their opinions, that they appeared to be.

Do many hi-so Thais hanker after spending their holidays in this way, I wonder ?

Perhaps Mr Thaksin, who recently professed to now be worth under a million dollars, might recover some of his costs by selling them seats on his private jet, so that they can all be elite together ! rolleyes.gif

Were is the 283 million THB he got when he sold his mansion in Hong Kong?

He is in a hurry back home, has some "photoshop"ing to do.cheesy.gif

That could explain why we've never seen a Thaksin/Kissinger photo yet or even Thaksin with any other ViP's that Thaksin's biography author Plate unsubstantiated claims he met.

• Like 1

Were is the 283 million THB he got when he sold his mansion in Hong Kong?

He could also borrow from Yingluck.

She made nearly a Billion Baht on selling her shares of Shin stock.

As it turned out that those shares actually belonged to Thaksin and not her, it would only be the fair thing for her to do.

Edited by Buchholz