How Many Kilometers You Get Out Of Your Tires

Rigger

Interested in how many kilometers you get from your tires I have 50,000 KLM on the one on my hilux and still have a lot of tread left on them. Which is strange as I can never remember getting that many out of a car let alone a set of tires

I've had a set of tyres on my old Strada for so long that I can't remember how long they have been on there. They are called Leo 625 I think they are Bridgestones.

I only remember that they are Leo's because I sometimes drink Leo beer.....

I've had a set of tyres on my old Strada for so long that I can't remember how long they have been on there. They are called Leo 625 I think they are Bridgestones.

I only remember that they are Leo's because I sometimes drink Leo beer.....

I have bridgestones on mine

I was told by a guy that in Thailand all the tyres are made at the same place all they do is change the mold and pump out a few of the other brand so the only differents is the tread patten any Know if this is true

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 double cab which doesn't get loaded so much these days.

I changed the tyres last month at around 120,000 km and they still had a few thousand km left. I use Michelin which came as original and replaced them with Michelins.

I had to replace my O/S/F tyre around 75,000 as there was a serious steering / tracking problem which Ford fixed free under warranty and I had to replace the original spare around 40,000 as some ba****d stole it.

If ever I get the choice of tyres I would always go for Michelins as there are long lasting hard wearing tyres and I have had them on a few cars in the YK and they have always lasted well.

Besides I like the Michelin man.

:o:D

Pick-up tyres are made to last seriously long, probably trading off grippyness. If Michael Schumacher fitted Bridgestone Leo tyres he wouldn't have to change tyres his whole GP career, instead of twice per race. :o

> I have 50,000 KLM on the one on my hilux and still have a lot of tread left

> on them.

Do make sure though that the thread on the side that washes water away perpendicular to the main thread isn't warn off. That would be less safe. Often you see still some regular thread around, but with the little 'side gutters' (sorry, no clue what they're called) completely warn away.

That's okay I guess as long as it doesn't rain. :D

Still I always notice a remarkable improvement in ride quality after changing tyres. (And shocks).

Cheers,

Chanchao

I've always been a Goodyear man myself. Its a silly sentimental attachment. I was born and raised in Akron, Ohio, which used to be the tire capital of the world. Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, General Tire. All the big ones were there. I even went to Firestone High School. Well slowly, they all moved away, except for Goodyear. They still have their corporate headquarters there, so I stick by them!

Peace

I do not agree with sticking to one make of tyre.

Different tyres will be better on different vehicles.

My Porsche was great on Dunlops or Goodyear but rubbish on Pirelli's

My Citroen was great on Michelin but crap on other brands.

My Cooper S was great on Avons but crap on Goodyear.

Choose a tyre that suits your car.

I've always been a Goodyear man myself. Its a silly sentimental attachment. I was born and raised in Akron, Ohio, which used to be the tire capital of the world. Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, General Tire. All the big ones were there. I even went to Firestone High School. Well slowly, they all moved away, except for Goodyear. They still have their corporate headquarters there, so I stick by them!

Peace

Ah yes...I remember Firestone...they're a subsidiary of Bridgestone aren't they?

I get about 70k+ out of my pickup tyres...which is considerably more than I got on anything in Europe, but in Oz I get a lot out of my Ford Fairlane. (can't remember the figure).

I was talking to a tyre merchant about the apparent difference in longevity / durability even on what appeared to be the same model tyre and he pointed out that the rubber compounds maybe different for each country and road conditions. With pickups the tyres are particularly hard (not a good safety factor) and will last ages. Cars in Europe have a very soft compound (closer to a racing tyre) to cope with the wide ranging conditions, but mostly on asphalt. Here in Thailand roads are rough but mostly dry so a hard resilient tyre is suitable. The harder compounds are cheaper too.

I saw a good example of the "hard" pickup tyre after a rain storm in Klaeng near Chantaburi when about 10 pickups had all slid off the road on a relatively mild bend. The vehicles were in the central reservation and on the verge pointing in all directions, with the passengers all standing round scratching their heads.

I was advised previously that regardless of the amount of wear you should always look to renew your tyres every 18 to 24 months. The reasoning explained to me was that the heat here degenetrates the rubber and makes the tyres more brittle and prone to blow outs.........just what I was told.

I was advised previously that regardless of the amount of wear you should always look to renew your tyres every 18 to 24 months. The reasoning explained to me was that the heat here degenetrates the rubber and makes the tyres more brittle and prone to blow outs.........just what I was told.

I have noticed that the side walls on older tyres (or is it tires?) start to crack and that is way before the tread gives out, a good indicator to change them I guess.

I've also noticed that the lucky Fortuner buyers get a proper mag wheel as their spare enabling them to rotate their tyres but us lowly Vigo owners only get a steel rim.... :o

Still it is good to put the back tyres on the front as they wear, front tyres are at the mercy of toe and camber. You need to keep your wheel alignment up to scartch. Always check it when putting new tyres on.

An intersting incident happened when the guys went to balance my new tyres, he just kept on putting more and more weights on, so much that they went halfway around the rim. Luckily i was hovering nearby (which I always do when "technicians" are working on my cars) and managed to convince him that maybe it wasn't seated properly. After re-installing it on the rim it needed one weight...How would that have been to start driving on at highway speeds?

Lastly, keep a good tyre pressure guage in your glove box. You will not get a reading from a pump station and 1 psi will make a difference to your ride and economy. I once found 60 psi in my tyres after getting home with the family "looking after" my car...It developed a huge "tumour on the side wall and had to be replaced. I made sure to tell my wife of the benefits of a tyre pressure gauge in the glove box after that! No wonder you see so many accidents, tyres are all important, the interface between your car and the road.

[ I once found 60 psi in my tyres after getting home with the family "looking after" my car...It developed a huge "tumour on the side wall and had to be replaced.

I have noticed that whenever I get my tyre pressures checked here they want to up the pressure by at least another 10 psi!

There seems to be some myth or perception here that over inflation is a good thing....my tyre pressures are written on the inside of the car door and every time I have to point them out or I get too much air.

I bought my vehicle 2nd hand and couldn't understand why the rear tyres showed so much excessive wear in the centre until I first checked the pressures.

Has anyone else experienced this?

When I took delivery of my Vigo 60 all around.What a ride. Dropped them to 30 , back for service & guess what? Bcak to 50.

I got rid of my bridgstones,they used to sqqueal going around corners at low speed & seemed to be prone to sidewall punctures.Now have Goodyear Wranglers, alot better all round tyre, seems to be softer compound & gives much better road feel,grippy on dirt as for the standard bridgstones on a 4X4 useless.

I have noticed that whenever I get my tyre pressures checked here they want to up the pressure by at least another 10 psi!

There seems to be some myth or perception here that over inflation is a good thing....my tyre pressures are written on the inside of the car door and every time I have to point them out or I get too much air.

I bought my vehicle 2nd hand and couldn't understand why the rear tyres showed so much excessive wear in the centre until I first checked the pressures.

There is the Car Manufacturers recommended inflation pressure, and the tyre manufacturer often has one that is different. I can't remember who has the higher pressure, but its nothing like 60psi.

There is the Car Manufacturers recommended inflation pressure, and the tyre manufacturer often has one that is different. I can't remember who has the higher pressure, but its nothing like 60psi.

I have the original manufacturers tyres and the recomended pressures and the recommended pressures are 26/29; every time they are checked they want to put another 10 psi in. The previous owner was obviously not aware that this was going on and you can see on the rear tyres clear evidence of over inflating.