Getting A Visa When Old

What will happen when I am 60 years old and unable to work here. I won't get any pension from my original home government - UK as I've been here too long. I'll have paid off my house and my family will look after me, especially my children.

I won't have the cash for a retirement visa or even marriage visa. I'll be getting about 20,000 baht from the UK a month.

Is there any other kind of visa I could get or will they kick me out of my house and my home of 35 years?

Why won't you get a pension from the UK?

NI contributions are about 12UKP a month, so no excuse not to pay when working abroad.

Sell your house, put the money in the bank to finance your VISA, and rent somewhere to live.

or

endless border runs, every two weeks, like the rest of the poor foreigners.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Why won't you get a pension from the UK?

NI contributions are about 12UKP a month, so no excuse not to pay when working abroad.

Sell your house, put the money in the bank to finance your VISA, and rent somewhere to live.

or

endless border runs, every two weeks, like the rest of the poor foreigners.

No need to do a border run every two weeks, if married to a Thai.

Edited by beechguy

You will have to meet the immirgation requirements. Since you don't have an income you wil have to meet the money in the bank requirement:

400,000 in the bank for 2 month with a Thai wife or child

or

800,000 in the bank for 3 months when based on retirement. But you can combine your yearly income with the money in the bank, as long as the total sum is 800,000 (thus you need to show 560,000 in the bank).

Marriage extension does not allow a combination of money in the bank and income.

Wow -- I hope the OP has paid into the Thai government insurance plan so he can get nearly free medical care at a government hospital. Otherwise, that 20,000 baht/month isn't going to go very far if he needs medical care or his condition deteriorates to the point that his kids can't take care of him.

• Like 1

You get a pension from the UK, you can ask them how much it is, and also if you need to pay into it to get a full pension (with reading your post you most certainly will have to pay into it). I believe in a few years time the pension will be set at a flat rate for everyone, also a UK pension is payable to a male at 65 years of age and a female at 60 years of age.

I'm not sure how old you are now - but since you are concerned about your finances in your 60's, now is a good time to start to make plans and save money and check on insurance. Enjoy your time in Thailand now but also make plans for living in Thailand in the future.

Understand from others in there 60's go to Laos Thai Consulate at Savannkhet, the yearly 1 yr married to a Thai Visa, you need to show no funds...

Others go to K.L. understand must show 100,000 baht in a Thai bank for the years Visa......... both of course you will need to do a boarder run every 90 days.

There are other places, but you need to find out at the time......... eg: many used to go to Cambodia no funds needed to be shown, change of staff at the Thai Embassy there all that changed.

How many years did you work in uk before you left.?

At the moment you need 30 years contributions to get a full pension, so if you worked for 10 years you will be entitled to 10/30ths of the full pension etc. In some cases depending on your birth date you get free years, eg when you were 16, 17, and 18 years old called starting years, if you were at college etc.

Tomorrow I will scan a little book I have that is up to date, Sent to me last month with all the details, 26 pages.

You can have a read. It also has all the numbers you can call in UK to find out how many years you have paid and how you can pay for the missing years.

Edited by overherebc

How many years did you work in uk before you left.?

At the moment you need 30 years contributions to get a full pension, so if you worked for 10 years you will be entitled to 10/30ths of the full pension etc. In some cases depending on your birth date you get free years, eg when you were 16, 17, and 18 years old called starting years, if you were at college etc.

Tomorrow I will scan a little book I have that is up to date, Sent to me last month with all the details, 26 pages.

You can have a read. It also has all the numbers you can call in UK to find out how many years you have paid and how you can pay for the missing years.

I believe I worked for 5 years there, was unemployed for a year and was a student for 5 years.

Thanks very much for sending that book!

I don't think there is a law that makes retirement at the age of 60 mandatory unless you are working for the government.

You could apply for permanent residency which would eliminate the funds issue for extensions.

If you are married to a Thai you could also apply for Thai citizenship which only requires 40K baht income for 3 years.