Wife'S Uk Visa App.. Easier Now Married?

My Thai gf and I went to the UK for 7 weeks from December to jan and my wife had to jump through a lot of hoops to get a visa, I am talking ... sending photos of us together, prined out 2 years of skype convos to prove we have known each other for years. Had to get my father to fax over his government ID with address and also a payslip showing his national insurance number and also write a letter for immigration.

I think it took about a month to get together everything they required to issue her with a tourist visa.... This I can understand, because many people are trying to get into the UK illegally.

My question is.... because she already had a visa which is now expired, but she proved she did not default on it, and also since then (April) we were married, and is now my legal wife... Is it an easier process to aquire a UK visa for her, because I need to go to the UK in October, and I want her to come along with me.

Thanks in advance.

Not really.

Same level of evidence really. What type of visa are you applying for?

RAZZ

Correct in as far as the the level of evidence you need to submit...

...however she has shown that she has complied with the visa conditions in returning to Thailand.

It also helps if you show your commitment to returning to Thailand, eg. your visa status, marital home, etc. Also indicating your future plans, particularly if they involve further visa applications.

Not really.

RAZZ

Just a tourist visa, I think they are 6 months by default.

I remember she had to go down to BKK to put her documents in for the visa app, and we beleive that this was because she had to have her fingerprints and DNA swab taken. I was hoping we could apply by post seeing as i can't recall her having her DNA profile or fingerprints changed in the past 9 months.

If your wife is requesting a visit visa, rather than a settlement visa, the fact that you are now married may actually go against her.

The ECO looking at her application will see that she has already had seven weeks in the UK, I assume that's what she asked for when she applied, she has now married you and wants to go back for a further visit.

The ECO will look at the reasons to return, does she work, she has already had at least seven weeks holiday in less than a year, they may also consider, rightly or wrongly, she is attempting to circumnavigate the settlement route.

The fact that she has already successfully complied with her earlier visa will be taken into consideration, but you might want to outline your plans for the future in your covering letter.

As others have said, and to answer your original question, she will still have to provide the same level of proof as before I'm afraid.

Congratulations to you both by the way.

Not really.

RAZZ

I remember she had to go down to BKK to put her documents in for the visa app, and we beleive that this was because she had to have her fingerprints and DNA swab taken. I was hoping we could apply by post seeing as i can't recall her having her DNA profile or fingerprints changed in the past 9 months.

Your posts are confusing. You have Skype communications which suggests you are in the UK and your (now) wife is in Thailand.

Then you say that you have to go to the UK in October, which suggests that you both live in Thailand..????

'tog' is suggesting that they may think that you are attempting to circumvent the settlement conditions. however this would not necessarily be the case if you are living together in Thailand, hence my comments regarding your visa status.

All visa applications for a UK visa require a visit to the VFS in Bangkok to submit the application and documents, and to have bio-data taken (fingerprints and photo...no DNA swab)

I would agree that if you both live in Thailand and intend to return the visa should be easier to get compared to the first. Being married and 'settled' in Thailand together should make it easy.

If you are living in the UK and your wife in Thailand then I suggest you clearly let the ECO know why you are living apart!

With the new settlement rules they will be looking hard at applications that could be attempts to circumvent the settlement rules.

The evidence still needs to be of the same standard as the first visa but a good visa track record should always help!

Edited by bobrussell

Not really.

RAZZ

Your posts are confusing. You have Skype communications which suggests you are in the UK and your (now) wife is in Thailand.

Then you say that you have to go to the UK in October, which suggests that you both live in Thailand..????

'tog' is suggesting that they may think that you are attempting to circumvent the settlement conditions. however this would not necessarily be the case if you are living together in Thailand, hence my comments regarding your visa status.

All visa applications for a UK visa require a visit to the VFS in Bangkok to submit the application and documents, and to have bio-data taken (fingerprints and photo...no DNA swab)

Sorry, I should explain clearer.

I met her online, as opposed to a bar in pattaya. We communicated on skype for 2 years before i cane over here, I have been here in Korat now for 2 years and 2 months, on tourist visas till April, and then on a non imm 'o' visa which i will be issued a 12 month one on Sept 2nd. Which is a foregone conclusion seeing as we are married and i have done all the legal procedures to the letter with more than enough money in the bank (6 million THB in Kasikorn Thailand and another 6 million in my UK bank account).

My wife owns her own house here, which is our marital home.

The actual reason we want to go there, is because my sister is having her 50th Birthday party (masquerade ball) and I thought it would be a nice idea to go and gatecrash it seeing as we will be masked, I thought it would be a sweet surprise considering my sister thinks we can't make it. Wearing masks will add to the fun of the surprise especially if we can mingle around in there for an hour before she or any of my family realises its me....lol I like to make silly entrances like this. I like querky.

Anyway... Thanks for all your answers, it looks like we just have to go through all the same formalities. I am confident she will get the visa, just wondered if it wall less hoops the second time.

Each application is treated separately, and the applicant has to show they meet the criteria for the visa they are applying for with each application.

As said, that she has applied before and complied with the conditions of that visa is, though, a point in her favour.

As you are married and living together you don't really need to provide all the evidence of your relationship that you did before; your marriage certificate, your passport showing your status in Thailand and evidence that you are living together should suffice.

The ECOs are reasonable people; they don't expect married couples who live together to phone, skype and email each other!

Have you considered a longer term visit visa? She could still only spend a maximum of 6 months in the UK per visit and, usually, a maximum of 6 months out of any 12; but it will save you the trouble of applying each time.

Be warned though, the longer the term, the higher the fee. If the ECO decides to grant a shorter term than asked for you will not receive a refund!

See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

Each application is treated separately, and the applicant has to show they meet the criteria for the visa they are applying for with each application.

As said, that she has applied before and complied with the conditions of that visa is, though, a point in her favour.

As you are married and living together you don't really need to provide all the evidence of your relationship that you did before; your marriage certificate, your passport showing your status in Thailand and evidence that you are living together should suffice.

The ECOs are reasonable people; they don't expect married couples who live together to phone, skype and email each other!

Have you considered a longer term visit visa? She could still only spend a maximum of 6 months in the UK per visit and, usually, a maximum of 6 months out of any 12; but it will save you the trouble of applying each time.

Be warned though, the longer the term, the higher the fee. If the ECO decides to grant a shorter term than asked for you will not receive a refund!

See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

Thank you.

Very good and helpful reply.

We were considering the 5 year multi once we have returned from the UK, because we will go again at Christmas, so that will be 3 trips she has made and returned, which we think may help the longer term visa app.

having taken 3 trips inside 12 months will demonstrate that we are frequent visitors, both my mum and dad are both sick also, so this means i need to come and go quite a lot.

Edited by klubex99