webfact

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A post with links about homebrewing has been removed as homebrewing of alcohol is illegal:

We have all seen Thais drinking their homemade rice wine at weddings or while relaxing in the countryside and the ubiquitous Bangkok corner side or rolling cart Yaa Dong sellers with containers of some concoction of herbs like ginseng, plaonoi, tree bark and vodka or whiskey. That is why expats and Thai nationals are always shocked when they find out that it is illegal to produce and/or sell alcohol in Thailand without a license. The Thai Government authorizes local governments to regulate alcohol production and sale under the Health Code. Local Government Rules 112 Section 58 NDOR, enacted 20th of July 1995, ‡15 provides that individuals cannot produce or sell alcohol without a license from the Thai Government. There is no exception in the law for personal consumption. While the law is obviously not enforced with any vigor in Thailand it is still against the law and those that engage in such activity are always in jeopardy of being caught.

http://www.thaivisa....e/#entry3851270

so sad!

A post with links about homebrewing has been removed as homebrewing of alcohol is illegal:

We have all seen Thais drinking their homemade rice wine at weddings or while relaxing in the countryside and the ubiquitous Bangkok corner side or rolling cart Yaa Dong sellers with containers of some concoction of herbs like ginseng, plaonoi, tree bark and vodka or whiskey. That is why expats and Thai nationals are always shocked when they find out that it is illegal to produce and/or sell alcohol in Thailand without a license. The Thai Government authorizes local governments to regulate alcohol production and sale under the Health Code. Local Government Rules 112 Section 58 NDOR, enacted 20th of July 1995, ‡15 provides that individuals cannot produce or sell alcohol without a license from the Thai Government. There is no exception in the law for personal consumption. While the law is obviously not enforced with any vigor in Thailand it is still against the law and those that engage in such activity are always in jeopardy of being caught.

http://www.thaivisa....e/#entry3851270

so sad!

how about glue sniffing then? laugh.png

So can someone explain how this affects the free trade agreement with Australia http://www.dfat.gov....y-outcomes.html ??

For agricultural products subject to tariff rate quotas prior to 1 January 2005, Thailand has either eliminated the tariff and quota restrictions or will expand access for Australia over a transition period varying according to the product, before final elimination of the tariff rate quota.

Wine, beer and spirits

• Thailand immediately reduced its previous 54% tariffs on wine to 40%, and will phase the tariff to zero in5.
  • For beer and spirits, Thailand immediately reduced its previous tariffs of 60% to 30%, before phasing to zero in 2010

I think that excise is not a tariff.

Agreed. That Free Trade Agreement is about import tariffs, also known as customs duties.

A higher excise tax for an imported product than for the domestic equivalent is a so-called non-tariff import restriction and any opposition to that by an exporting country would have to filed with the WTO.

Meanwhile in the real world, the newspaper that we can't link to already has ALL the details that people have been asking for, including current levels and new levels, in a clearly laid out article.

Is it the newspaper with him, who not should be named, errr I mean the guy who goes berzerk when someone misspells his name? smile.png

Meanwhile in the real world, the newspaper that we can't link to already has ALL the details that people have been asking for, including current levels and new levels, in a clearly laid out article.

Ah thanks, now I found it. Thought it wasn't the Lord Voldemort - publication, but it was indeed. I usually never read that rag, but this was of course a matter of extreme priority.

blink.png pages are added to this topic faster than I can read.. I get to the end of page 3, and the total is 4.. I get to the end of page 4, the total is now 6.. Slow down everyone, I'm falling behind!!!

I'm feeling the same way Winnie. Barely can keep up myself.

Steady you two, better get yourselves a drink quick.

Before the prices go up!

• Like 1

blink.png pages are added to this topic faster than I can read.. I get to the end of page 3, and the total is 4.. I get to the end of page 4, the total is now 6.. Slow down everyone, I'm falling behind!!!

I'm feeling the same way Winnie. Barely can keep up myself.

Steady you two, better get yourselves a drink quick.

Before the prices go up!

I guess after a few drinks I might not be able to catch at all with the pace here.biggrin.png

OMG - 8 pages of whining for a small price hike.

The excise for imported whiskey is 360 thb/l today. Tomorrow it will be 400 thb/l.

Please note that the news article says excise will be increased TO 400 thb/l, not BY 400 thb/l.

I missed that. I bet I'm not the only one! Good catch, mate.

The article's headline is incorrect...

Edited by joefromdc
  • Like 1

Excellent, the price of alcohol can't be high enough. It's one of the most dangerous drugs in the world, it causes death and mayhem in traffic, spousal abuse and all sorts of aggression. In another thread: "Drunken Swede kills tourist from New Zealand". I am convinced he would not have killed that guy if he were sober!

Yet it is good enough to make the the goverment have more income. Eating bad food is not good for your health either, and community also pay your doctor bills (at least in Europe).

Everything you do, have to be a responsable way, drinking driving, taking care of your children. ABUSE is wrong, but you not need alcohol for that. I loe wine, but will not drive, when I am having my bottle. When I am in Thailand, I go out, not drink much or at all, and have my bottle on the terrace, when i get back.

The excise for imported whiskey is 360 thb/l today. Tomorrow it will be 400 thb/l.

Please note that the news article says excise will be increased TO 400 thb/l, not BY 400 thb/l.

Of course.

And the increase is per liter of pure alcohol.

So for a 700ml bottle at 40%, you're looking at a price increase of... wait for it... 12 baht.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Probably based on 100%, given the fact that most spirits don't have a content over 40% it will be not that high.

It's 400 Baht per liter for imported alcohol under 80 degrees! That means that the price for a big bottle of Heineken for example will increase by 264 Baht because it contains 660ml. That's a lot!!!

Edited by pacovl46

Bt120 per litre of alcohol for domestically-produced products and Bt400 for imported products, regardless of alcohol content.

the words regardless of alcohol content.

so its not based upon alcohol by volume

Yes, The Nation says "regardless of alcohol content".

This is quite confusing, it means that the new excise tax for Tiger beer imported from Singapore will be 0.64 x 400 = 256 Baht.

And it means that a big bottle of Tiger Beer will be sold in Thailand for 300 Baht!

This is ridiculous.

I believe the wording "regardless of alcohol content" should be clarified.

Probably based on 100%, given the fact that most spirits don't have a content over 40% it will be not that high.

It's 400 Baht per liter for imported alcohol under 80 degrees! That means that the price for a big bottle of Heineken for example will increase by 264 Baht because it contains 660ml. That's a lot!!!

No, it won't. You're taking a first alarmist news report at face value. Go to bed.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Of course.

And the increase is per liter of pure alcohol.

So for a 700ml bottle at 40%, you're looking at a price increase of... wait for it... 12 baht.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Winnie you have posted some good posts re this topic. Most readers see the headline and their judgement is totally clouded.

I have never seen a thread explode like this. I think we have a lot of nervous posters who think their hip pocket my be dented when this impact will be very small There have been 5 new post since I have started typing

Once they AEC get's going, will the Cambodian and Vietnamese beers be considered domestic beers? And will those tarrifs be dropped completely then? (Actually does the AEC promote free trade?)

I go for Lao beer.............wai.gif

The alcohol excise tax on rice whiskey was increased from 120 baht a litre to 150 baht a litre based on alcohol content, and for blended liquor from 300 baht to 350 baht per litre. The tax on brandy increased to a maximum of 50 per cent from the existing rate of 48 per cent.

The new rate does not apply to beer or wine, which already face maximum taxes.

source : forbidden in here

so no price hike on beer ? the bars in town will be upset ! i bet they already planned to increase prices by 10bt as a 6bt rise would of been an odd number

Please could you explain how 6 would ever be an odd number???? whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1