Positive Experience At Soi 5 Immigration

patsfangr

I think that we are a bit remiss in reporting good experiences with Thai businesses and/or government organizations; so I'd like to report one now.

Today, I went to the Immigration Office on Soi 5, Jomtien. I was 8 days past due for my 90 Day Report. I had surgery on August 8, and have been limited in my ability to move much without pain and possible damage to the internal healing process. On top of being late, I forgot to make a copy of my passport.

When I arrived, at about 10:30, the place was nearly empty. I was first in line for the 90 Day desk, and was served by the guy who is, I believe, the senior officer at that desk. He's been there since I moved here 6+ years ago. I handed him my passport, Form 47, and copy of an internet bill with my address on it. He asked for a copy of my passport, and I acknowledged that I had forgotten it. He said, "OK. Be sure to bring one next time"; and he went on with the process.

As he was finishing up with all the stamping, etc., he noticed that I was due to report on August 13. He said, "You are late." I then showed him the bill from the hospital, and explained the situation. He told me that I could have sent my wife, or someone else for the 90 Day report. I told him that I wasn't aware that I could do that. He completed the process, handing my my passport, and said, "OK. I take care of you this time. Next time, don't forget to be on time, or send someone."

Let me add that I have never had a bad experience with the people in this office. Their system is, IMO, the most efficient operations in this area, commercial or government. They are always courteous; though not necessarily "friendly". I've always held and expressed this opinion of the Soi 5 Immigration Office, and have said so to friends many times. Today really topped it off. I very much appreciate the understanding and courteous treatment I received there.

I'm betting that most of you have been similarly pleased with that Office nearly all of the time. I know that there have been some "horror stories"; but, honestly, I think that the overall work done by that organization should be praised by all of us.

• Like 1

I had to go there last week on what I thought was going to be a nightmare scenario, thanks to the two ladies I dealt with, I was sorted out in a professional, friendly manner, I have nothing but praise. Because of my situation here I have no reason for any dealing with immigration in Jomtien and was very pleasantly surprised by this visit.

A few years ago I showed up 20 minutes before opening to be near the front of the queue. Just before the doors opened, a guy showed up with beer in hand. He finished it off and asked his GF to go get him another one. He was plastered.

I'm sure most foreigners deal with this immigration process quite well, but as they say, a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

I've never had a problem there. Last trip forgot my house papers for the 90 day report. No problem, just remember to bring them next time. Easy.

I will also sing their praises on retirement extensions and 90 day reports, but the re-entry permit service is undermanned and slow. I went there for a re-entry permit back in March and was told by Barry Kenyon that there were over 150 people waiting for one and I should better come back in a few weeks. A month later I returned and got one, but it still took almost an hour compared with 2 minutes for a 90 day report and less than 10 minutes for an extension. I went for another re-entry permit in July and it was quiet there, none of the high season zoo, but it STILL took 50 minutes. It's ridiculous given what a simple process this is.