Beer And Wine Tax Hike Next For Excise Dept: Thailand

webfact

What's next, a 500 baht entry fee for pole dancing places? You can pry my beer from my clenched fingers, but please please please, don't take away my eye candy!

"Give me nicotene or give me breath!" he wheezed, while sucking a last drop from the booze bottle he found in the gutter.

Will this new legislation affect the price of Chalerm's ear medicine? He might have to sell a pink mercedes to pay the added amount for his multiple daily fixes.

"Who does not love wine, women and song / Remains a fool his whole life long." ....though not a fool, he may have to wait in line at the hospital for a liver transplant.

"Take this Jar and shove it, I ain't drinkin' here no more"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will certainly cut down on the consumption of the Thai guy who drinks every penny he can lay his hands on. As as as us Farang go the price of drinks in the nightspots like Nana and Cowboy will go up so bonking should reduce slightly but will surely help those who participate in such activities remember the girls face and maybe even her name the next day.

Smoking? That's a toughie.......to stop or cut down is tough as hell without help...I tried the comparatively new drug Champix 1800 baht a packet in 22 Pharmacy on Sukhumvit between soi 22 and 20 on Suk rd...amazingly it worked and I was 40 a day for nearly as many years......and no I don't have shares in the companysmile.png I it works for a weakling with no willpower like me it should work for anyone.

Someone said these increases are just an excuse to bring in additional revenue...........give that genius a lollypoprolleyes.gif Who would think that with all the improvements we see taking place every day in and around Thailand a government would need money to operate?

it didn't work for me and neither did a bunch of other things work sad.png

I once worked for a country where we increased the price of tobacco by about 15 times. This was an attempt to place a price barrier in front of potential new younger smokers - I am sure it hurt the entrenched smokers financially. Interestingly the tobacco companies repackaged and repriced in a valiant attempt to counter the impact of the extra tax. My guess with the increase in alcohol is that price sensitive consumers will just shift to a cheaper more gut wrenching form of alcohol that fits with their spending habits. Sin taxes should theoretically be largely applied to address the medical conditions associated with the 'sin' - anti-smoking medication subsidy, alcoholics anonymous, health education programmes and similar. These are problems faced by many countries - lets hope it is a move in the right direction for the right reasons.

It is all down to elasticity of demand. Cigarette smokers can absorb small incremental increases virtually ad infinitum, it is one time large shock increases that will make people trade down or quit. When governments raise it a baht or a penny here and a penny there it is purely a tax generating action, if all cigarettes were doubled in price through taxation tomorrow, the net effect of increased revenue could be counteracted by people trading down and quitting.

As long as Thailand has TTM, they are never going to intentionally make large tax increases in cigarette prices. It makes them far tooooo much guaranteed revenue.

<p>

How much is the import duty on wine?

54% (24% FROM Oz)...total taxes is approx. 390% (source 3 years old so may have changed a little)

A CIF Invoice Value of Imported Wine $100.00

B Tariff (Import Duty): A x 54% $ 54.00

C Excise Tax Paid: Excise Tax Rate x (CIF

value+import duty+excise tax paid+municipal

tax) or 1.7647059(A+B

$271.76

D Municipal tax: C x 10% $ 27.17

E Health tax: C x 2% $ 5.44

F Value Added Tax: (A+B+C+D+E) x 7% $ 32.09

G Total Cost: (A+B+C+D+E+F) $490.46

Effective Duty and Tax Burden 390.46%

Australian wines attract a 24% import duty and will go to 0% by 2015.

Source: http://www.flex-news-food.com/files/Wine_Thailand_270809.pdf

Edited by Thailion

I would like to see cigarettes made as illegal as heroin, as it certainly kills millions of people and it stinks real bad.

or put a 1000% duty on cigarettes

The government said they want to cut down on people drinking, I agree men in isarn are always drunk and acting like morons but the increases wont have any affect whatsoever as its not enough."just a couple of baht per bottle of that popular foul tasting lao khaao they like, ".

up the tax on cheap boose say, 2000% to 3000% that might have the desired effect.

But the government should bring the price of fine imported wines way down.

I guess you must be drinking wine and therefor the price should go down ? OMG

Exactly, I would have no issue with a 1,000 baht per pack tax on cigarettes. I believe it is a fabulous lack of discipline that allows someone to be a smoker. Would that be enough of a deterrent? Cheap imported wine would stimulate an industry that is the laughing stock of the world. With the 460 percent duty on wine, there is barely a wine industry at all here. The Thai Govt has sure shot themselves in the foot over that one. They are losing billions of $$$ in revenue. Boy geniuses at work.

Since everyone wants the taxes to be set on the things they don't like, I'd like to set it at 1000% for salad. Bunny food..eat meat. All sorts of herbs and whatever the health nuts use should be extremely aggressively taxed, too. Yeah. Come to think of it, taxing should be taxed. Taxes are the solution to everything. Not.

But wine is a health promoting food. Whiskey and ciggies are not.

More about the irrational Thai war on wine:

http://www.etbmice.c...?articleid=8100

Narrow minded

“Our overseas partners and teams have worked very hard in trying to put Bangkok on the map as the preferred MICE destination in Asia. We also want to promote Bangkok to the people in the world’s wine industry but unfortunately we have narrow minded politicians and old time bureaucrats who don’t recognized the benefits to the nation as a whole.

“Thailand’s Convention and Exhibition Bureau is preparing to bid to host the World-Expo in 2020 but after how it has failed to facilitate a small international wine trade fair. We must question seriously and wonder how the World Expositions’ members are going to vote for Thailand.

“So, World-Expo Fair is supported by the government – politicians and bureaucrats will speed the tax exemption policy for all goods intended for the fair… if Thailand is to win over Russia, Turkey, Brazil and UAE –, lamented Mr. Sriwarin.

Shooting themselves in the foot as usual for the benefit of a few. Sad. Very sad.

Edited by Jingthing

The price never slowed me down when I was a smoker.

"The number of smokers should drop by between 60,000 and 70,000," said the foundation's deputy manager, Supreeda Adulyanon. "We will have to introduce other measures too, such as limiting the availability of cigarettes."

I would like to see cigarettes made as illegal as heroin, as it certainly kills millions of people and it stinks real bad. or put a 1000% duty on cigarettes The government said they want to cut down on people drinking, I agree men in isarn are always drunk and acting like morons but the increases wont have any affect whatsoever as its not enough."just a couple of baht per bottle of that popular foul tasting lao khaao they like, ". up the tax on cheap boose say, 2000% to 3000% that might have the desired effect. But the government should bring the price of fine imported wines way down.

I guess you must be drinking wine and therefor the price should go down ? OMG

Exactly, I would have no issue with a 1,000 baht per pack tax on cigarettes. I believe it is a fabulous lack of discipline that allows someone to be a smoker.

What about tolerance of other peoples' unattractive habits? Plus, experts say that living in the average big city is equivlelent to smoking a pack of ciggs a day. In Bkk in dry season, it's probably closer to 2 or 3 packs a day. Two of my buddies had to move away from Bkk. One said he had black residue on his face, after returning from a teaching job each evening. The other had chronic bronchitus that wouldn't quit for 3 years, until he moved away. Maybe the sage elders running gov't can devise a way to tax Bangkok air.

Since everyone wants the taxes to be set on the things they don't like, I'd like to set it at 1000% for salad. Bunny food..eat meat. All sorts of herbs and whatever the health nuts use should be extremely aggressively taxed, too. Yeah. Come to think of it, taxing should be taxed. Taxes are the solution to everything. Not.

I realize you're trying to be funny, but seriously, I eat salad most of the time. I make 'em at home, because Thais don't know what a salad is.

So you would still buy it whatever the price...? Customers like yourself are every businessman's dream! The price would certainly increase if tobacco was made illegal. Would you and other smokers quit then, or source tobacco from criminal drug dealers? I'd presume the latter.

So you would still buy it whatever the price...? Customers like yourself are every businessman's dream! The price would certainly increase if tobacco was made illegal. Would you and other smokers quit then, or source tobacco from criminal drug dealers? I'd presume the latter.

There is virtually no superior cash generating legal business as cigarettes.

The experiences from a multitude of prohibitions around the world support the latter choise as well.

coffee is also addictive, and it's a cash generator. Connect the dots.

Well don't forget that kraft foods is part of a tobacco group having been bought from another a few years ago.

Caffeine addiction is nothing in comparison with nicotine.

coffee is also addictive, and it's a cash generator. Connect the dots.

Well don't forget that kraft foods is part of a tobacco group having been bought from another a few years ago.

Caffeine addiction is nothing in comparison with nicotine.

I've been addicted to both in years past. Addiction can be as much psychological as physiological. Probably over the half the population of farang here in Thailand MUST have their caffeine fix in the morning, and likely other times during the day. Notice how their moods change if deprived of it.

Caffeine addiction is typically physical. Don't give them any ideas! COFFEE, again, another health promoting health food, even if addictive.

If they really cared about the health aspect, they would tax the #%@% on SUGAR.

Edited by Jingthing

What I don't understand is why (as far as I know) I've never seen Thai wine on the shelves of shops?

Is it not being produced? Is it not possible to produce a reasonable quality of wine in Thailand? Is the sale of Thai wine subject to the same tax?

The same with coffee and tea. The local stores only seem to sell imported products.

As for cigarettes.... its not even worth the argument! Some believe that they should just be banned or make them so expensive no-one can afford them - others think that the tax charged should be high enough to pay for the related medical costs. There seems to be no 'meeting of minds' on the subject.

BUT surely its more important to work out how we can prevent kids starting smoking in the first place?

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why (as far as I know) I've never seen Thai wine on the shelves of shops?

Is it not being produced? Is it not possible to produce a reasonable quality of wine in Thailand? Is the sale of Thai wine subject to the same tax?

The same with coffee and tea. The local stores only seem to sell imported products.

As for cigarettes.... its not even worth the argument! Some believe that they should just be banned or make them so expensive no-one can afford them - others think that the tax charged should be high enough to pay for the related medical costs. There seems to be no 'meeting of minds' on the subject.

BUT surely its more important to work out how we can prevent kids starting smoking in the first place?

Thai wine is on the shelves at Tops and Villa. It used to be reasonable value and I bought it to encourage the development of the industry. Now the prices are up 50%+ and the quality has reduced. Not interested anymore, sadly.

Thai wine is on the shelves at Tops and Villa. It used to be reasonable value and I bought it to encourage the development of the industry. Now the prices are up 50%+ and the quality has reduced. Not interested anymore, sadly.

There are plenty of Thai wines available. My local, Château de Loei as well as some in Korat- Chateau de Ray. There are also some closer to Bangkok such as Monsoon Valley winery.

The problem is that all wines, imported and otherwise, are taxed to kingdom come for reasons of lining rich people's pockets.

One side effect of this is that most grapes you buy in the shops are for wine making and are a bit tart and tasteless.

How much is the import duty on wine?

There are a lot of duties. That's why wine is so unreasonably expensive sick.gif . It is in the interest of a beer (and lao khao) tycoon, as I heard from a man with connections to his company.

To your question:

post-144423-0-29319600-1345967913_thumb.

post-144423-0-64223600-1345967961_thumb.

If they introduced a tax on killjoys, you would be bankrupt within a month.

Smart move, still a long way from measures taken by the Australian government (no more brand names on cigarette packs) or countries mulling a full ban on smoking for those born after the year 2000, or other Western countries where cigarettes cost many times more than in Thailand.

Same goes for alcohol, hand in hand with nicotine these two are the most addictive, dangerous and lethal drugs on earth. Kudos for Thailand!

and of course, Thai wine is what Australian wine used to be 30 years ago - paintstripper!!!

There are plenty of Thai wines available. My local, Château de Loei as well as some in Korat- Chateau de Ray. There are also some closer to Bangkok such as Monsoon Valley winery.

The problem is that all wines, imported and otherwise, are taxed to kingdom come for reasons of lining rich people's pockets.

One side effect of this is that most grapes you buy in the shops are for wine making and are a bit tart and tasteless.