Getting A Visa To The Uk

I would just like to check some advice i am giving is correct.

If someone has already decided to marry, would getting married in Thailand rather than waiting until getting to UK have any bearing on whether a Visa (visitors or settlement) to the UK is issued.

I think it doesn't, the person would still have to wait the same time, and meet the same criteria. Can someone confirm this, or maybe I am wrong ?

totster :o

Visitors cannot get married in the UK and change their vistor's status

I am aware of that.. but thanks anyway vinnie, my fault I wasn't very clear in my first post.

Obviously they would have to get the Settlement visa if they wished to marry in the UK.

Would getting married in Thailand first make it any easier or have any bearing when applying for either the vistors visa or settlement visa ?

Totster - As far as I can remember, the settlement visa forms and criteria are the same for a spouse or fiance...

So no - providing that you can provide all of the required evidence and documentation - it shouldnt make any difference...

Below is the web address to the UKvisa site - "If you are after Settlement for your wife/fiance" you will need to print out and complete form VAF2...

If your wife/fiance is not planning to settle then VAF1 should be used - this will give her upto 6 months visit visa

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pa...d=1014919208354

Edited by rio666uk

Whether someone marries in Thailand or the UK will have no bearing, in itself, upon any settlement visa application. However, should someone enter the UK on a fiancé(e) visa and marry, they then have to apply to the Home Office for permission to stay based on the marriage. Getting married in Thailand obviates the need to make this application to the Home Office and, so, saves the fee.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks all... just what I wanted :o

The people I was speaking to were having the thought that already being married would more or less guarantee a visa to the UK.. I on the other hand thought they would still have to go through the same processes and meet the same criteria as any other.

Sorry about the mixup with visa names, but it was unimportant anyway :D

totster :D

To expand on this point.

Under the Foreign Marriages Act of 189? the UK recognises all marriages that are legal in the country where they took place, so having registered your marriage at the Ampur you cannot get married again in the UK. Many couples want to do something for both sets of relatives, so have the ceremonial (but not legal) marriage in Thailand and then a registry office wedding in the UK.

However, unless you have a strong reason for marrying in the UK, I would recommend marrying in Thailand on cost grounds alone.

If you decide to marry in the UK then you will need:-

Fiancée visa; cost £260.

After marrying in the UK, Further Leave to Remain; cost £335 if applying by post or £500 in person.

Two years after FLR, Indefinite Leave to Remain, cost £335 if applying by post or £500 in person.

Marrying in Thailand means she applies for a spouse visa and this cuts out the FLR stage and so saves that cost. Also the holder of a fiancée visa cannot work until they have FLR, but the holder of a spouse visa can work immediately.

Applying for the visa makes no difference as the criteria are the same, except for a spouse visa you have to be legally married, of course.

To expand on this point.

Under the Foreign Marriages Act of 189? the UK recognises all marriages that are legal in the country where they took place, so having registered your marriage at the Ampur you cannot get married again in the UK. Many couples want to do something for both sets of relatives, so have the ceremonial (but not legal) marriage in Thailand and then a registry office wedding in the UK.

However, unless you have a strong reason for marrying in the UK, I would recommend marrying in Thailand on cost grounds alone.

Fiancée visa; cost £260.

After marrying in the UK, Further Leave to Remain; cost £335 if applying by post or £500 in person.

Two years after FLR, Indefinite Leave to Remain, cost £335 if applying by post or £500 in person.

Marrying in Thailand means she applies for a spouse visa and this cuts out the FLR stage and so saves that cost. Also the holder of a fiancée visa cannot work until they have FLR, but the holder of a spouse visa can work immediately.

Applying for the visa makes no difference as the criteria are the same, except for a spouse visa you have to be legally married, of course.

Thanks GU22... some good information and very helpful..

cheers

To expand on this point.

Fiancée visa; cost £260.

At the risk of stating the obvious, on the cost front, getting married in Thailand will be cheaper for the bash itself. In my case it is a bonus that my guest list can be very limited (selective?)......not only as a bonus financially! But of course families vary :o:D