No More Police Road Blocks/Checks In Bangkok Before 9Pm?

siampreggers

Is it true?

It was mentioned in another thread that BKK police have been ordered to not set up police blocks/checks before 9pm?

Great news if it is. The dangers that they cause are plain to everyone surely. People trying to turn in to left lane and slow down, turn into the outside lane and speed up, various vehicles slamming on their brakes to avoid all these things.

So what's up? Just rumour and misinformation or an actual publicized police order?

So what's the danger in a poice check?

People suddenly swerving all over the place to either get into the inside lane and slow down or in to the outside lane to speed up, cars and picks-ups suddenly forced to slam on their brakes to avoid said swerving, people stopping as they're not sure who exactly is being pulled over, cops standing in between the two outside lanes being obscured by larger vehicles etc... I've seen a few accidents, usually Thais on scooters trying to dodge the cops and hit cars. A few have come off, luckily none of them have gone under vehicles.

the inside lane that people are trying to get into usually consisting of foodcarts, buses, and taxis pulling into stop without indicating which doesn't aid the uncertainty of it all.

The uncertainty of what everyone is going to suddenly do as some people speed up to dodge them and some slow down to stop.

You have never noticed the dangers of the driving behaviour of all of the above upon coming into some police checks?? huh.png

Edited by siampreggers

There are more checkpoints appearing during the day in some parts of Nonthaburi province since this ruling, especially during the morning and evening rush hour. 3 lane roads are coned to funnel the traffic into the centre lane. BIB block the inner and outer lanes. 2 lane roads have the outer lane blocked. All bikes and some pickups are directed into a holding area by the kerb.

There are more checkpoints appearing during the day in some parts of Nonthaburi province since this ruling, especially during the morning and evening rush hour. 3 lane roads are coned to funnel the traffic into the centre lane. BIB block the inner and outer lanes. 2 lane roads have the outer lane blocked. All bikes and some pickups are directed into a holding area by the kerb.

Has there actually been a ruling?

that is true guys.

i inquired it through a high ranking police friend.

NO MORE CHECK POINTS BEFORE 21:00! one of the best news i heard for some time in Thailand:)

horraay! I am so happy on this as i can use all the tunnels and bridges and left lanesclap2.gif

But, what i have seen, no check points but they hide under a tree or after a turn with a blind point - groups of two policemen only - and stop some bikes yesterday - small bikes only going througjh right lane - so definitely, they will find a way soon!!!

Ok, so I have noticed for a few weeks since I read about it in the newspapers that there have not been ANY police stops on Sukhumvit at the On Nut BTS. I posted in another thread that for the last several months they were there almost daily, at least 4-5 times per week. For the last few weeks, none! BUT....I noticed something curious over the last several days. During rush hour between 4pm-7pm, while out directing traffic, they are nabbing a few cars and motorbikes. I stood and watched for about 15 minutes, and they grabbed about 3 motorbikes and 5 trucks with construction workers in the back. Much less than a police stop, but they are getting creative in making a few stops for obvious infractions. Certainly better than before, and I can live with them stopping the cars/motorbikes that are actually visibly violating a traffic law, and not randomly stopping us and then making up a violation. Great days ahead for those of us who regularly drive cars and motorcycles through Bangkok. clap2.gif

So what's the danger in a poice check?

People suddenly swerving all over the place to either get into the inside lane and slow down or in to the outside lane to speed up, cars and picks-ups suddenly forced to slam on their brakes to avoid said swerving, people stopping as they're not sure who exactly is being pulled over, cops standing in between the two outside lanes being obscured by larger vehicles etc... I've seen a few accidents, usually Thais on scooters trying to dodge the cops and hit cars. A few have come off, luckily none of them have gone under vehicles.

the inside lane that people are trying to get into usually consisting of foodcarts, buses, and taxis pulling into stop without indicating which doesn't aid the uncertainty of it all.

The uncertainty of what everyone is going to suddenly do as some people speed up to dodge them and some slow down to stop.

You have never noticed the dangers of the driving behaviour of all of the above upon coming into some police checks?? huh.png

No. But then I don't live in Bkk, I feel sorry for you guys who does.

Interesting... sad... and very Thai.

Yesterday and today I was coming down Viphawadee, I on the inside frontage road. On both occasions scooters and bikes zoomed down the main section underneath the tollway.

this morning it was a plethora of scooters (Fino's and Scoopy's etc.) all spread out along the two/three lanes. Rattling a long as fast as they could go.

That is no road for such scooters.

While being a fan of not having police checks that don't result in people having to drive dangerously in the far left buffalo-cart lane, or not going over small overpasses etc. I don't think weak little scooters should be rattling down high speed roads that they can't even match the speed of the average vehicle.

Typical Thainess I thought. Give an inch, immediately and blatantly take a mile.

They've been given an inch, and what do they do, immediately and blatantly take it for everything they can while probably considering the giver a fool...

Wonder how long it will change for this policy to be reversed due to such idiocy.

Edited by siampreggers

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen one since I posted this.

anyone else in BKK see one lately?

I haven't seen an official stop as before, but I do notice that when the police are out directing traffic in the morning and afternoon rush hours, they are flagging over many more bikes and cars/trucks than they used to. So, it is there way of complying with the current directive, and still getting a little bribe money on the side. Still much better than before. I haven't been stopped on my bike in ages! Woo hoo.

So now maybe I can really customize the heck out of my bikes and ride with no fear!

Everyday driving post-65746-0-98502700-1347540344_thumb.j

Night driving post-65746-0-54074800-1347540362_thumb.j

For the girlfriend post-65746-0-61474200-1347540368_thumb.j

For her kids post-65746-0-20230700-1347540352_thumb.j

For the flood that they say will never come post-65746-0-02230300-1347540339_thumb.j

• Like 1

Interesting... sad... and very Thai.

Yesterday and today I was coming down Viphawadee, I on the inside frontage road. On both occasions scooters and bikes zoomed down the main section underneath the tollway.

this morning it was a plethora of scooters (Fino's and Scoopy's etc.) all spread out along the two/three lanes. Rattling a long as fast as they could go.

That is no road for such scooters.

While being a fan of not having police checks that don't result in people having to drive dangerously in the far left buffalo-cart lane, or not going over small overpasses etc. I don't think weak little scooters should be rattling down high speed roads that they can't even match the speed of the average vehicle.

Typical Thainess I thought. Give an inch, immediately and blatantly take a mile.

They've been given an inch, and what do they do, immediately and blatantly take it for everything they can while probably considering the giver a fool...

Wonder how long it will change for this policy to be reversed due to such idiocy.

The Sad part IMHO is that somehow you think your better than them and more deserving to be on that road then them

Fino's, Scoopy's, Waves's, and Dreams are all allowed to ride there and can easily go the speed limit there.

The upper tollways they are not allowed and I wonder why I am not. My bike can go faster than all but the 30 million Bt cars and my guess is that is close too. I can stop quicker and accelerate faster. I casue less wear and tear on the roads and make less pollution. Most of the bridges the same too. I would even guess my bike cost more than what you can afford to call your car or truck.

Bikers where here first, out number cars more than 10 to 1 yet are treated like second class citizans.

The Idocy as you call it is your buying into that logic Equal for all I say

Just to make it clear: Nonthaburi is NOT in Bangkok. The ruling was made by Bangkok admin.

Just to make it clear: Nonthaburi is NOT in Bangkok. The ruling was made by Bangkok admin.

To most of us happily not living in the BKK area, we think BKK is from Auttaya down or at the very least Bag Pa In It's all just one big traffic mess after another and light after light. So, really where is Bangkok by law ? Maybe they should post signs or make a line on the road

"Now entering a No police stop area 9 a.m. - 9 p.m." Would be helpful for all the drug smugglers and people trafficers