Is Asiatique Worth A Visit?

hands22

It's defo worth a visit. Give it a visit; I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's a free shuttle boat service from Taksin Bridge BTS. There is a good choice of eateries. It is an upmarket Suan Lum Night Bazaar (the old Night Market), Joe Lewis Puppet Theatre is meant to be there, but despite following the signs for it, I couldn't locate it! It's very pleasant wandering through the maze of shops. There is still very much a feeling that this is an old warehouse area. The developers have gone to lengths to keep the feel of this site's original function. There's an interesting WWII bomb shelter at the front on Charoen Krung Road which has been left in its original tatty condition. Some might considerer it a bit of an eye-sore and it has become a urinary station unfortunately. There is an Asiatique The Waterfront website you can visit to glean more info.

I think it is one of the only places in Bkk that have done a semi-successful job using the waterfront with some emphasis on the local history. So many cities in the world revolve around commerce centered on rivers and the good ones use the riverfront effectively for entertainment and tourism. I was pleasantly surprised how nice it looked. Give it a try I think you will like it and as previous posts say you can get the free boat shuttle.

Yes, it's worth a visit. There's a good selection of restaurants to choose from. You're not going to get a bowl of noodles there for Baht 30, but personally I don't think it's "over priced" considering what you actually get in the restaurants (quality, atmosphere, air-con, service, etc.).

Check it out and decide for yourself.

I also dont think its overpriced either.

I think comparing it to JJ is doing it a dis-service as a lot of the clothes down there are very hip, locally designed and not expensive.If you are looking for cheap then Pratunam might be more your thing. Also JJ is crowded, dirty, smelly, hot...all the things that Asiatique is not.

Took the family down there a couple of weeks ago and ate Singapore Chicken Rice in the food court in the middle which WAS expensive and not very good. After the kids had their fill we went to the Irish pub which was mid price range but very good food. Bought some clothes and knickknacks and generally wandered around, thought it was a great night out for everyone.

Thanks for all the reply.

I will sure make a trip there next week and I am so looking forward to it especially the fireworks and the shows at the waterfront (as advertised.... not sure if there are actually daily fireworks display). One thing I won't be trying is the Singapore Chicken Rice as I am from Singapore...lol.

Definitely worth a visit. The restaurants are good. They have a french restaurant facing the waterfront that was excellent. There's also a few good japanese places. They have an apple store if you want to shop there. Decor/design of the place is really cool. I like it. Would definitely give it a try. People say it's pricey.... I guess so. About the same as paragon, emporium, etc., high end malls.

One thing I won't be trying is the Singapore Chicken Rice as I am from Singapore...lol

My kids were born and lived in Singapore during their toddler years into early school......chicken rice is comfort food for them so whenever they see it that's where they have to eat

Check the tides before you go.

There are sewer grates on all the paths

The night I went the stench was overpowering.

I happened to be breathing in as one belched a particularly fetid cloud and nearly threw up in the street.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

How is the Asiatique these days? Does it attract many upscale (or any scale) Bangkokians and resident farang, or is it essentially a tourist attraction?

Got a mate and his misses coming here soon, I don't know what it is they've read but they're bursting to go.