Interview With Thai Finance Minister Kittiratt: 'White Lies Sometimes Needed'

webfact

Does this mean that a GDP increase of 5.5 - 6% is already out of the question? Not that that would surprise me as import/export figures up till June were way down.

In May we had:

- BOT: estimates growth of Thai exports to rise to single digits, at 9.2 per cent

- Commerce Ministry: Jan-Apr export posted -3.86% growth, import grew 9.79%, trade deficit at $8 bn

- PM Yingluck projects 2012 Thai economy to grow 5.5-6.5%, inflation 3.5-4% despite world economic downturn

Maybe someone out there can be interested in a Crystal Ball? I have one, hardly ever used, only needs new batteries

Ask the Finance minister, I am sure he has all the data at his finger tips. I cannot believe this guy had the arrogance to actually say what he did. This may go down in history as the dumbest comment ever made by a Finance Minister in the history of global business. I would love to listen to the sniggering in the national banks in the region over coffee this morning.

No idea asking Khun Kittirat he dosen´t have a clue, and if he has he will lie.cheesy.gif Edited by Skywalker69

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai people NEVER lie - they only joking!!!

Thai people NEVER steal - they only borrowing!!!

May I correct you sir.

Thai MP´s NEVER joking - they only lie!!!

Thai MP´s NEVER borrowing - they only steal!!!

Naaaaa, never? cheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No politician could be this stupid could they?

he knows there will be a good chance he will have to resign over this. Political fallguy?

1. Yes.

2. No chance.

I have a feeling this will lead to a change at the finance ministry with one of the banned making a grand comeback.

no need to change now.... he's apologizing (sort of) so things are alright now...it was all just a "miscommunication" that was due to the fact that he travels away from Thailand so much... blink.png

Kittiratt offered his apology for miscommunication over the export figure

BANGKOK, 3 September 2012 (NNT)-Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong has offered his apology for miscommunication over the export figures, saying he has nothing but good intentions.

The Finance Minister said in response to ABAC poll, in which most respondents wanted him to resign from his post, that he had no time to provide explanation regarding the reported "white lies" as he was constantly on oversea trips for the past year.

He added, however, that he would explain himself before the Senate, as his further attempt to deliver a public apology would likely be perceived as an excuse to cover his remark.

Kittiratt, however, offered his explanation saying that the initial export figure seemed probable according to his earlier study.

But due to the global economy and other factors, he has formed an opposite opinion. He purported that so far he has never once claimed the export figure would reach 15% as forecasted, but, in fact, it was meant to be a goal for the export sector to achieve.

His admittance, he said, has been viewed by the public as dishonest and unreliable. He insisted that whatever he has done in his life has been nothing but honest. He further reiterated that it was nothing new to set a goal high if it was done out of good intentions and nothing else.

Kittiratt offered his apology for miscommunication over the export figure.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-03 footer_n.gif

Ombudsman accepts Kittiratt’s white lie case

BANGKOK, 6 September 2012 (NNT) – The Office of the Ombudsman of Thailand has accepted for consideration the claim that Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong told white lies about the country's export growth figures.

According to Office of the Ombudsman Secretary-General Chalermsak Chantim, the Office has accepted the claim by the Green Group asking for Kittiratt to clarify his lies on the export growth figures.

Chalermsak said the office is sending requests to all related parties to testify, adding that the Finance Minister must testify first.

Kittiratt earlier admitted that he had lied that the export expansion this year was estimated at 15% but, the actual figure sank below half of what he had declared.

This week, the Finance Ministry announced that it has adjusted its export growth target down to 5-6% for this year, given the export sector was heavily affected by the global economic crisis in July.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-06 footer_n.gif