Ranong On Special Alert For Contagious Diseases

webfact

Ranong on special alert for contagious diseases

image_2012082315453952A88632-F63A-EFC3-08A03BA395B1A774.JPG

RANONG, Aug 24 - Thai and Myanmar health officials in Thailand’s southern province of Ranong are working closely to fight against widespread malaria and dengue fever, a Thai health official said Thursday.

Dr Thongchai Kiratihattayakorn, a senior health official in Ranong, said continuous efforts by health officials from both countries have been carried out after it was found that the situation of the two contagious diseases had worsened.

Health officials have been dispatched to educate people on both sides of the border, Ranong in Thailand and Kaw Thong in Myanmar, on how to prevent the spread of malaria and dengue fever.

They also sprayed houses with disinfectant and provided blood tests to people.

According to the latest report, a malaria outbreak has worsened in Kraburi district on the Thai-Myanmar border where more than 300 people have been infected with the disease.

In Ranong last year, a total of 1,344 people, 857 Myanmar nationals, were infected with malaria and most of them were in Kraburi district.

The Public Health Ministry on Wednesday declared it would permanently eliminate malaria in 80 per cent of Thailand by the year 2020.

Five malaria-prone provinces are Tak, Ranong, Mae Hong Son, Kanchanaburi and Trat. The first four provinces border Myanmar, which the last borders Cambodia. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-24

Malaria and Dengue are not contagious diseases, they cannot be transmitted from person to person!!!

They can - but need the mosquito to bite them in the right sequence.

Disinfectant is no use at all.

Spraying or fogging standing water would be the best policy and maybe that's what they mean.

Edited by Moruya
  • Like 1

Lol I had a cold last month, dam_n doctor spent 5 minutes trying to convince me it was malaria. She wanted to charge me 400 Baht for a blood test. I told her I could go down the road and get one for a few Baht. Just give me medicine/tablets for this cold. I stopped going to La-Un hospital for serious illness, now it looks minor ailments are off limits too.

Malaria and Dengue are not contagious diseases, they cannot be transmitted from person to person!!!

Spraying or fogging standing water would be the best policy and maybe that's what they mean.

They can what, be transmitted from person to person, please explain and in the meantime I'll alert the WHO to these new developments!

The problem is the amount of water people have in containers around and in their homes. When the house was being built I had to stop the builder building a Thai style bathroom. They just provide breeding places for the mozzies. Containers outside should hold fish.

• Like 1

2 Very devastating diseaseso.. What a hell of a combination...one is bad enough.

Malaria and Dengue are both endemic in Thailand so there's nothing new here, Dengue comes from a daytime mosquito whilst Malaria comes from a night time active mosquito, incidents of both diseases tends to spike during the rainy seasons. I would guess it's fairly unusual for someone to contract both diseases at the same time (which is what your post aludes to), or should I say extremely unlucky.

They can what, be transmitted from person to person, please explain and in the meantime I'll alert the WHO to these new developments!

Wiki says in very rare circumstances Dengue can be passed person to person. I was looking the other week, as a friend's step daughter had it, and I was looking it up to point out Aides Mosquito was a day time active mosquito,

Edited by Mosha

In order for a mosquito to get the parasite, it needs to bite something that already has it, right?

Wiki says in very rare circumstances Dengue can be passed person to person. I was looking the other week, as a friend's step daughter had it, and I was looking it up to point out Aides Mosquito was a day time active mosquito,

OK, two points then, Mr Wiki from Dewsbury. laugh.png

I can just about imagine a scenario whereby a dengue carrying mossie feeds off someone unnoticed, flies away sated and blood from the bite leaks out onto the surface of the skin, an amorous partner then happens along and perhaps kisses or licks the others skin thus injecting/absorbing the pthers infected blood, chances of that must be 0.0000000001 in 1 trillion people or similar.

Secondly, if the above actually happened, how would anyone actually know it had so as to record the event as a person to person transmission?

• Like 1

In order for a mosquito to get the parasite, it needs to bite something that already has it, right?

Ummm, sounds logical but honestly I don't know, regardless, your point though is? I'm still not there with the idea that person to person transmission can happen and your question above hasn't made it any clearer, spell it out in simple terms, pretend (or don't) that you're talking to a thick person.

Ummm, sounds logical but honestly I don't know, regardless, your point though is? I'm still not there with the idea that person to person transmission can happen and your question above hasn't made it any clearer, spell it out in simple terms, pretend (or don't) that you're talking to a thick person.

Please read my post again.

@chiang mai It didn't say. I'm not a wiki fan, I just wanted to show my mate also from Dewsbury, that night time prevention measures won't prevent Dengue fever.

Is it Malaysia or Singapore which has stiff fines for having preventable mosquito breeding spots outside the house?

2 Very devastating disease so.. What a hell of a combination...one is bad enough.

Yeah it can knock you around ,a work mate in Indonesia with both disease was flowin out, never saw him again , I seen him off on the chopper, he looked like death warmed up, moral of story, never go to sleep drunk outside in the tropic's.

Edited by chainarong

@chiang mai It didn't say. I'm not a wiki fan, I just wanted to show my mate also from Dewsbury, that night time prevention measures won't prevent Dengue fever.

Is it Malaysia or Singapore which has stiff fines for having preventable mosquito breeding spots outside the house?

Both countries have stiff fines...if me memory serves me right SGP has a 5000

Singapore dollar fine and Mal has a 2500 ringit fine.

I have and I'm still no closer to understanding how anyone thinks that human to human transmission is possible, with involving an intermediary, aka a mossie.

Dengue & Malaria...I've had both and they're nothing to brag

nor be proud of having. The vector for dengue is the Aedes

mosquito while malaria is spread by the culex mosquito.

The aedes bites mostly during the day and the culex at night

however there is an overlap around dawn & dusk. A very,

read extremely unlucky, person can have both dengue and

malaria at the same time but this is extremely rare.

There are now 4 strains of Dengue...A-B-C & D. Type

A is the most common which starts out like a cold or flu

but then things change rapidly....very high fever develops

along with a rash first presenting itself on ones hands, arms

back etc. At around this time the headache associated with

the common cold or flu and similar in the early stage of dengue

gets worse...imagine a white hot metal rod being slowly pushed

through your head....that's an easy example. Extreme weakness

and apathy set in and continues for about 10-12 days (in my case).

Jaundice may or may not manifest. There is no "cure" or

"prophylactic" for dengue as there is for malaria. Dengue

treatment is symptomatic...i.e...treat for fever, headache etc.

Dengue B-D are supposedly the hemmoragic varieties and

one can easily tell if one has these by looking at the whites

of ones eyes...they'll turn bright red. Then there may be blood

in the urine or poop...get to a hospital fast if you get a flu like

illness and you notice yer eyes are blood red and you pee is

tainted red...again there is nothing anybody can do but treat each

symptome.

Malaria starts the same way as dengue...like the flu starts.

But then things change very rapidly...usually beginning with

the fever that rises rapidly and then dissipates with a feeling

of coldness through the body (flashing hot & cold). The muscle

and joint aches set in and become worse. The apathy sets in.

One generally feels something worse than road kill looks etc...

etc...etc. Get to a hospital so the doc's can figure out what type

of malaria you have (2 types ovum and falciparum, the latter

can be deadly but both are nasty) and begin to administer

the proper meds.

There are numerous drug resistant strains of both ovum and

falciparum malaria...and a few that can only be treated with

the antibiotic vibramycin instead of antimalarials.

Best thing is to not get bitten. Hard to do that especially with

the aedes mossie since it's so small and bites in the day so

ya just don't notice it.

Both the aedes and culex mosquito have to draw blood from

someone/thing that has already been infected before they

can pass it on to some unlucky person and both mossies

have an approximate range of 30 KM's per day.

Spraying with disinfectant does no good at all except

to kill bacteria on or about your property and this won't

kill mossies. Anti mosquito fogging and spraying with

the proper insecticide does work.

Ensure there is no standing water on your property.

Turn flowerpot bases upside down so when the plants

get watered the water won't accumulate in the base.

If you have a "squatter" keep it covered unless you're

squatting on it and after using it give the inside a good

spray of mossie killer. Mind you if you're a smoker give

a few more minutes before spraying if you've just tossed

a ciggie down the hole!

Keep water cisterns covered at all times...the big ceramic

ones...if you have em. And if you're growing water lillies

or lotus in a water cistern put the powder "Abate" into the

water...it kills mossie larvae and leaves the plants alone.

Keep trash can lids closed and if you see a pile of plastic

bags get the trashmen to clean the mess up...mossies

only need a small bit of water for their eggs to hatch...

about a teaspoon size will do nicely.

Use that thing called common sense, which is pretty

uncommon today and you'll be all right during dengue

season...which is now by the way. Malaria season

is 365 days long FYI.

I hope this helps somebody. Spread the word amongst

friends and your neighbourhood. Clean up the neighbour-

hood in fact.

This info I'm passing comes from personal trauma and

the book "Medicine In The Tropcs" by A. W. Woodruff

plus the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website...

www.cdc.gov.

edited to correct fat finger on small keyitis.

Thanks, very informative post.. coming to CM by the end of September. Let the battle begin !

Edited by stefb1964

If you don't know the life cycle of the parasite, you should research it before launching missives at people who understand it better.

Mosquito comes along, sucks up some blood from an infected person or other animal, sleeps of her meal and goes for another feast on an uninfected person. You then have another infected person.

The same could be achieved by using a syringe to extract some blood from the first and inject it into the second.

The same could be achieved by any means of blood to blood transfer but is highly unlikely in normal life.

I have and I'm still no closer to understanding how anyone thinks that human to human transmission is possible, with involving an intermediary, aka a mossie.

Chiang Mai....

Maybe I can help...Let's say I have malaria and I'm contagious....in other words

the malaria parasite (unlike bacteria or virus) is actively breeding in my liver

and bloodstream...and I'm in the hospital wishing I was dead. One night a

culex mosquito gets inside the hospital and sucks up some of my blood

then later she (only female mosquitos do this) flies over to your house

and sucks up some of your blood cause she's a really hungry chick.

In the process of sucking up some of your blood she also gives you a little

bit of my blood (remember it has a few squillion malaria parasites in it) in

the process.

About a week to ten days later you begin to feel like you're gonna have the flu

only to learn that instead of getting better in say 5 to 7 days time...you get

much worse and decide to see a doctor who then refers you to a hospital

who in the end...if you live...will hand you a whopping bill!

Another scenario....

You & I are mates....I have malaria...you don't and come to visit my sorry ass

in the hospital. I sneeze, you inhale and in doing so some of my sneeze gets

into your lungs. You say a few unkind words to me but since I'm sick we laugh

it all off.

I get released from the hospital say 2 weeks later and, providing you've never been

bitten by a malaria carrying female mossie, or how many bevvies you had at the

pub...you feel fine and as normal as normal is in your definition of normal.

We then have a beer and discuss how I'm gonna pay that massive hospital

bill I have just received.

Malaria can only be transmitted via a FEMALE mosquito that has the malaria

parasite in her gut....a human can't get it in any other way...as far as I know.

• Like 1

My understanding is that you are correct in this statement. The transmission of either of these diseases from one person to another requires an intermediary 'vehicle', i.e., mosquito, hypodermic needle, blood transfusion, etc..

URL to the CDC website and an article regarding malaria; an excerpt from the article below.

http://www.cdc.gov/m...about/faqs.html

"Is malaria a contagious disease?

No. Malaria is not spread from person to person like a cold or the flu, and it cannot be sexually transmitted. You cannot get malaria from casual contact with malaria-infected people, such as sitting next to someone who has malaria."

URL to the Only My Health website and an article regarding dengue fever; an excerpt from the article below.

http://www.onlymyhea...ious-1301653693

"Dengue is considered to be a non-contagious disease. It never transmits from a person to another person and hence is not contagious."

Edited by xray
  • Like 1

If you don't know the life cycle of the parasite, you should research it before launching missives at people who understand it better.

Mosquito comes along, sucks up some blood from an infected person or other animal, sleeps of her meal and goes for another feast on an uninfected person. You then have another infected person.

The same could be achieved by using a syringe to extract some blood from the first and inject it into the second.

The same could be achieved by any means of blood to blood transfer but is highly unlikely in normal life.

Well, but that is still not transmitted person to person.

Even if an infected person breaths, scratches or even bites another person (what does happen),

I don't believe they would get malaria, dengue, japanes encapetilitys or elephantitis.

So, NOT contageous.

Mosquito to person to mosquito to person OK everything else is just unrealistic.

Edited by JoeLing

I don't buy this crap about transmssion from person to person, any disease is transmisable from human to human if bodily fluids are exchanged, that fact alone however does not make dengue or malaria contagious diseases and I don't care who understands the life cycle, sex life and entertainment habits of the parasite or if they even have some as good and close friends.

True, but people can give the diseases to other mosquitoes and spread the disease like that. If an infected person moves from one place to another it will infect the mosquitoes at the new destination when being bitten.