Find Wood For Guitar Building

I am building guitars as a hobby and would like to know if someone here can give me a suggestion where I can find mahogany wood in size 45 x 350 x 500 mm ( prefer not glued together pieces but one piece ) I not need large volume because as said I build only as a hobby.

Thanks for information

Not sure where you live but where I am there are plenty of large warehouse type places that sell all types of wood and they are quite willing to sell in smaller amounts. If you speak thai or know someone this will certainly help. I recently put up a few shelves and took my Thai partner with me, the process was quite simple, they allowed me to walk about the factory, point out what I wanted and even cut it for easy transportation - total cost around 600Bt.

As I say because I don't know where you are I cannot recommend anyplace specific but if you ride around your area I think you should spot one of the places I'm describing.

Not sure where you live but where I am there are plenty of large warehouse type places that sell all types of wood and they are quite willing to sell in smaller amounts. If you speak thai or know someone this will certainly help. I recently put up a few shelves and took my Thai partner with me, the process was quite simple, they allowed me to walk about the factory, point out what I wanted and even cut it for easy transportation - total cost around 600Bt.

As I say because I don't know where you are I cannot recommend anyplace specific but if you ride around your area I think you should spot one of the places I'm describing.

Well not many people jumping in on this one but if it's any help just to add to my last answer, these places are really easy to spot with massive racks of wood in the entrance way. You want to find the biggest place you can for a wider selection but like I say if you speak thai or have a thai friend then you can ask in the small ones for help if they don't have it.

Don't forget Mai mai mai mai = new wood burns doesn't it (who said it was a strange language). Of course you have to place the tones in the right places.wai.gif

I have made a few quitars - and teach solid body guitar making. In the past I learned by repairing violins. I presume you mean acoustic rather than solid body. Stew Mac, in the US is a great source of parts and info but not cheap and it is not always easy to get wood imported to some countries. I think it is much more interesting to find what you can locally. If you are in BKK you might like to look at some of the used timber and door places. I found a lot running along the banks of the saen saeb canal at its western end. Some had some very nice old door panels - just test that they are not too brittle or had rot. I have used the backs and sides of cupboards and even table tops.