Vexing "Apple Id" Problem

dddave

I admit to being Apple retarded but I am trying to help a friend. She knew little about tablets but thought the Ipad looked pretty cool so she went to an MBK kiosk and bought an Apple2, 32G..actually genuine.

The seller said she would install a bunch of apps for her and took it to another shop while my friend waited. They indeed did install about 4 pages of apps. She completed the deal and left.

We were having coffee and she mentioned she loved Suduko so I showed her an app I had on my Android tablet. She liked it but when I found it in the 'APP STORE" and attempted to download it, a window popped up asking for The password to a HOTMAIL account she had never seen before. Apparently, the shop had generated and used some random hotmail account to set the tablet "Apple ID" up for her. Problem is, they never mentioned it to her and she didn't know to ask. It was not written on any of the materials or receipt that came with it. She does not have the password. When I attempted to recover and then change the password to something usable, I was blocked because we had no answers to security questions attached to the account. We went back to the kiosk at MBK but naturally, that salesperson was no longer working there and nobody knew nothing...zero help.

I have Goggled the problem and tried several of Apple's password recovery pages but it all returns to the hard fact that she has no way to answer any security questions or even know where the computer is that set the password up so she is not allowed to change it, thus she can not access her tablet.

I am stymied; any suggestions?

Edited by dddave

Simple, sign out of the account and set up a new one with her own ID, I have two apple I'd s as some apps are not available in Thailand plus I download books from UK

Yes - set up a new apple id for her, and re-install all apps. It's painful but it needs to be done, chances are most of these apps that were installed are free anyway.

Lots of shops have this kind of "service" for their customers - I am not sure if they're really so clueless, or if it's just a scam but I know it's happened to a few people I know.

They're like "wow, they installed X apps for me, how cool" only to find out later that in order to use their device as was intended, they have to get rid of all that and set it up again. I am sure loads of people never actually find out. I had to explain to my farang neighbor how this works, as she also had no clue - she had a different deal, the store gave her an "all you can eat" app store account for BHT 2,000. The caveat: In order to install any apps, she'd have to come to the store, and they'd have to do it for her using their password.

Simple, sign out of the account and set up a new one with her own ID, I have two apple I'd s as some apps are not available in Thailand plus I download books from UK

But how can I "sign out" of the account if I can not access it in the first place?

I have never used an Ipad myself. Can you point me to the sign out process if I indeed do not need to open the existing account first?

Edited by dddave

I don't buy products with rotten apples on the, so no problem. Blackberry for me anyday.

Who cares about your Blackberry. This thread was asking about iPads, not phones. And if you bothered to read the problem was easily fixed...