How The Hell Did They Get Our Phone Numbers !

RedBullHorn

The wife always get all sort of irritating insurance proposal calls, i will sense it straight away when she roll her eyes and tilt her head to her shoulder...But still she listen to the proposal for a good 5 mins and then politely reject it, i ask why don't you just hang up in the begining ? She said that would be rude, thai don't normally do that unless the caller is rude. -_-''''''''''' ( Who cares, you don't know her...right ? )

Then suddenly mine rang, the wife looks at me as i answer the call, yup~ it the same insurance thingy...i stop her on track of her memorised speech and i said " Sorry teerak but i need the money for drugs...so if you don't hang up the phone, the police will be tracing your call too..."

The phone's tone went dead immediatly..."Dit *...Du~Du~Du...." >.<

I really like to figure out, how they get our phone numbers...

• Like 1

As soon as you realise, ask them to wait a moment as you are cooking and need to turn the cooker down. Leave the phone unattended until they have rung off before hanging up.

Other ways to annoy unsolicited callers are ...............................

I recall the story of a young lady rankled that her BF was going off with his mates on a 2 week golfing holiday on the Costa del Sol without taking her, packing up her gear and moving out. Her last act was to call the talking clock in New York and leaving the phone off the hook.

Don't get mad, get even.

Edited by Bagwan

Wifey gets it all the time, I think they sell or swap lists around the companies or something.

Only gave her details once when purchasing the car new so only one company had it to sart with, now 3 years on she gets about a dozen calls around 3months before renewal time.

I did the same as you and told her to just say "no thanks" and close the phone but she still stands there letting them waffle on.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I doubt there is the consumer protection that we get in England over here in Thailand. My best bet would be that DTAC, AIS, TRUE and the others sell their customer lists to increase their profit margins. That simple. I don't put my real number out to ANY supplier, yet I get all the messages and calls too.

• Like 2

calls are alright, but i get alot of thai messages. i mean alot

You can turn those off, just call the phone company tell them to stop the promotions.

This seems impossible with True. My wife get alot of messages/spam and have been to their office (True) to make them stop it, but they are just pouring in.

Edited by Semper
  • Like 2

Why do people answere unknown callers?

Why do we answer unknown callers? There are people who change SIM cards like we change clothes. I myself have four SIM cards. Two SIM cards are 3G and the coverage is spotty at best so no one even has those number but on occasion, I do make calls with them.

Why do people answere unknown callers?

Why do we answer unknown callers? There are people who change SIM cards like we change clothes. I myself have four SIM cards. Two SIM cards are 3G and the coverage is spotty at best so no one even has those number but on occasion, I do make calls with them.

Curious, 4 SIM cards, 2 of them barely has a coverage and then you have 2 more (coverage unknown). Why not invest in one card that has a good coverage?

I thought having several SIM cards, was for the 'working ladies'

Both your numbers have been sold. Another example would be someone who buys a piece of worthless tat by way of a TV advert. Their number is added to the list of people who are susceptible to buying rubbish, the list is sold (for quite large amounts) to other companies selling rubbish because it is a targeted list. Imagine you had a company selling 'x'. You can either carpet bomb potential customers via newspapers, TV and or radio which is expensive or you can target potential customers which is much cheaper even though you have to buy a list of those customers.

There are a number of companies which don't sell an actual product of service, they just buy lists and enter the information into a database. When someone wants a targeted list of potential customers the lists is sorted to meet the criteria of what it wanted and the results sold.

Today i got a automated voice call said my Bangkok Bank credit card had an outstanding bill

of ฿92'783... Spoke to the operator after that, in "Mandarin and Cantonese" just for the fun of it... She couldn't stand me and hung up. tongue.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

I heard its from those lucky draw tickets we filled up @ big c, the mall, central, any where. After lucky draws, the tickets r sold to telemarketing companies.

That's y they have those surveys column in the lucky draw tickets. Its to survey on our spending habit; essential for the telemarketing firms.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 6 months later...
" Sorry teerak but i need the money for drugs...so if you don't hang up the phone, the police will be tracing your call too..."

The phone's tone went dead immediatly..."Dit *...Du~Du~Du...." >.<

I..

5555 classic. Will. Have to do this.

Unfortunately I doubt there is the consumer protection that we get in England over here in Thailand. My best bet would be that DTAC, AIS, TRUE and the others sell their customer lists to increase their profit margins. That simple. I don't put my real number out to ANY supplier, yet I get all the messages and calls too.

Not as fiendish as you suggest. The banks are allowed to cross sell. Many insurers have an arrangement/relationship with the banks. For example, SCB has its own affiliated insurance group.

When I get these marketing calls, always say (In my worst possible Thai) Kun Poot Pasa Angrit my cap" and they always hang up!

There's a good chance they will. Why not say koon poot passaa Finland/Estonia/Wales?

I NEVER get these calls and I've had this number for 13 years.

In regards to answering unknown callers, no choice because the business is also tied to the same numbers, most of the unknown callers are customers...

Haha, just like you are!

As soon as you realise, ask them to wait a moment as you are cooking and need to turn the cooker down. Leave the phone unattended until they have rung off before hanging up.

Other ways to annoy unsolicited callers are ...............................

I recall the story of a young lady rankled that her BF was going off with his mates on a 2 week golfing holiday on the Costa del Sol without taking her, packing up her gear and moving out. Her last act was to call the talking clock in New York and leaving the phone off the hook.

Don't get mad, get even.

1st 1 I used to do that.

2nd 1 I bet she watched Only fools and Horses.

Many companies use predictive diallers to make contact. They enter number ranges i.e 087 0000001 to 0879999999. The dialler initially rings all the numbers in the range and discards any numbers that return with number not in service types replies. It then filters it even further to compile a list that may have people on the end of the calls. These calls are then transferred to their call agents. Sometimes you may get a dropped call just previous to a spam call. This is the dialler making the initial call to determine if a person is at the other end of the line.

Banks, jobs, tax returns, car purchase, car registration, driving license (application), visa, post office box. I think we give out our names and telephone numbers quite frequently in the course of living here?

Most SIMs are not registered so I'm not sure mobile service providers would get much selling a number?

Edited by lomatopo