New Macbook 'Log In'

triffid

I bought a new Macbook Pro. Noticed youTube won't work and needed Flash. Tried to download/install Flash but I'm asked for a password. What password is that? Is it possible the shop put in a password for the Macbook and didn't tell me? If so if I log out will I be unable to get back to the laptop?

Some software programs won’t work without an admin password and leaving it blank is not an option. If your computer is new, then perhaps you just haven’t entered one yet.

On the new Mountain Lion you will also need to go to Security & Privacy in the System Preferences and allow applications downloaded from: Anywhere or you won’t be able to download anything but Apple Apps.

Edited by villagefarang

It's asking for the Administrator password. If you don't know that, then you need to go back to the shop you bought it from.

Thanks, I will. (The apple reseller for Chiangmai - perfectly useless sales staff and so-called technical people so far as know how goes).

Some software programs won’t work without an admin password and leaving it blank is not an option. If your computer is new, then perhaps you just haven’t entered one yet.

On the new Mountain Lion you will also need to go to Security & Privacy in the System Preferences and allow applications downloaded from: Anywhere or you won’t be able to download anything but Apple Apps.

Thanks for the advice about choosing 'anywhere' in Security & Privacy. On the first point, no I certainly haven't entered an administrator password. I tried to put in passwords for my old Macbook - wouldn't work. I hope it's the shop, and I'll be going to ask them.

Thanks for the advice about choosing 'anywhere' in Security & Privacy. On the first point, no I certainly haven't entered an administrator password. I tried to put in passwords for my old Macbook - wouldn't work. I hope it's the shop, and I'll be going to ask them.

I recently setup my wife’s new MacBook Air and all I had to do was setup an admin password as one did not exist. If there is no old password just leave that space blank while entering a new one. It is worth a try. I can’t imagine anyone but the owner putting in a password.

I recently setup my wife’s new MacBook Air and all I had to do was setup an admin password as one did not exist. If there is no old password just leave that space blank while entering a new one. It is worth a try. I can’t imagine anyone but the owner putting in a password.

I did exactly that - and it worked! Thanks a lot.

Edited by triffid

Congratulations and enjoy your new MacBook Pro.smile.png

Thanks, I hope to - as soon as a few other teething problems have been resolved! One caused by the Chiangmai 'reseller' shop fiddling with it and thereby causing the Set Up Assistant to disappear leaving me without an easy way to move my data from the old Macbook. But i'm told there's another way for me to try, failing which I'll have to go back to them to do it. Infuriating.

Thanks, I hope to - as soon as a few other teething problems have been resolved! One caused by the Chiangmai 'reseller' shop fiddling with it and thereby causing the Set Up Assistant to disappear leaving me without an easy way to move my data from the old Macbook. But i'm told there's another way for me to try, failing which I'll have to go back to them to do it. Infuriating.

If you can connect the two with a FireWire or even USB cable, try Migration Assistant. It's not perfect, but often helps in transferring from an older Mac to a new one. Big problems, though, if the old one has system "difficulties."

If you can connect the two with a FireWire or even USB cable, try Migration Assistant. It's not perfect, but often helps in transferring from an older Mac to a new one. Big problems, though, if the old one has system "difficulties."

Can you specify the problems and their resolution? Because I think exactly that may have happened.