Thailands Coral Reefs Gone 50%!

Sandman77

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16758.html

Hello!

last year.i read a report,that some destination like similian islands,and other famous diving destinations .closed for the public,to protect the coral reefs,how long will what destionation closed?

opened one year again,and then maybe close again!

problem are the damage fishing nets!

Similan islands and Surin islans will be closed from 16 May - 31 October 2012, and also the other 73 national parks , the closing period is different and there are 5 national parks that closed until further notice.

The 5 national parks that closed are Khao Pranom Benja, Pha Daeng, Lam Klong Ngoo, Koh Chang (Koh Lamtonglang, koh Kra, Koh Tien) and Hat Jao Mai.

One thing I liked in the article was adding artifcial reefs,I feel that is the answer to the problem.It will take decades for the reefs to be healthy again if ever.

I used to go to Rincon De Quayabites in Mexico for years, they had a beautiful coral reef that wasnot well known. I used to snorkel there a lot and enjoy the beauty. We always beached our boat and swam out it wasnot far from shore. Then all inclusive resorts opened up on the beach The reef was literally being destroyed. Last time I went which was about 20 years ago,I went snorkeling and found loose coral floating all around me,people walking on the reef with no concern,power boats for tourists anchored on the reef so quests didnot have to swim out to the reef.I would say the reef was all but desimated at that time. I am sure if I went back today it would simply be a memory.

If Thailand is sincere about saving their coral they will need to close them from sightseers for a least one generation. I feel it willnot happen. So if they do reopen them and you want to see them go as quickly as you can when they open or perhaps lose the opportunity for ever.

Edited by lovelomsak