Extra Fuel

Gweiloman

Riding to Isaan, I like to keep off the main roads. Too straight, too boring, too many buffaloes (the ones on the roads I mean). Unfortunately, some of the roads that I take, I could go miles and miles without coming across a petrol station. Is it safe to carry a jerry can with extra fuel for emergencies?

Edited by Gweiloman

The small villages always have a place were they sell fuel in bottles.

Very true. There's always someone with a crate of soft drink bottles full of fuel or a 44 gallon drum and a pump. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

If your getting fuel out of 44 gallon drums be aware that rust particles can contaminate the fuel. And moisture if they selling that green crap.

PS: Up country I get fuel from a hand crank pump with a glass bowl at the top, circa Australia 1920's, I can see the fuel, but that's no guarantee the fuel is 100%

Edited by BSJ

Personally, I don't trust the fuel in these places. Apparently, even some of the big names can sometimes be a bit dodgy when it comes to the quality of the fuel (at least, that's what I been told). Safest bet is to get a metal jerry can - I would imagine that's tougher and more durable than the plastic ones.

man, no need to carry a can of petrol with you really. it will leak, smell and it is dangerous to carry it too.

In every small shop by the road sell petrol. All the mechanic shops too.

Even in teh middle of nowhere, you can find petrol here in Isaan, no problems.

man, no need to carry a can of petrol with you really. it will leak, smell and it is dangerous to carry it too.

Clearly we ride in different areas.

Not every shop has gas and many are closed when I need fuel.

At times when riding on my Wave, way back country, I carry a 1 gallon red gas can in my basket bungyed down. On two or 3 occations I have needed it. I have a freind who carried a Pepsi Bottle under his seat. with fuel, but under my seat is a map and 2 inter tubes just in case.

If your careful, and know your route, and don't drive on Sundays or after dark you should be OK. But Still I often carry and it never leaks and I never small it.

Nice to have in case I want to start a Riot too !

At times when riding on my Wave, way back country, I carry a 1 gallon red gas can in my basket bungyed down. On two or 3 occations I have needed it. I have a freind who carried a Pepsi Bottle under his seat. with fuel, but under my seat is a map and 2 inter tubes just in case.

If your careful, and know your route, and don't drive on Sundays or after dark you should be OK. But Still I often carry and it never leaks and I never small it.

man if you are a guy living day by day, you might end up without petrol on Sunday of course.smile.png But, if you can plan your trips nicely as you said no problems. 3,5 liters of tank on wave can drive you nearly150 km man!

still man, 3 days ago, my bike stopped as i calculated the reserve wrong:) and i ended up on top of a overpassbiggrin.png and they dragged my bike to petrol station in the middle of Bangkok!

i am lazy sometime to fill 13 liters of petrol - it takes around 15 minutes -like a stupid and what can i say more...so i can understand you.

man if you are a guy living day by day, you might end up without petrol on Sunday of course.smile.png But, if you can plan your trips nicely as you said no problems. 3,5 liters of tank on wave can drive you nearly150 km man!

still man, 3 days ago, my bike stopped as i calculated the reserve wrong:) and i ended up on top of a overpassbiggrin.png and they dragged my bike to petrol station in the middle of Bangkok!

i am lazy sometime to fill 13 liters of petrol - it takes around 15 minutes -like a stupid and what can i say more...so i can understand you.

This is fine if you are talking about daily commuting or short journeys. As for me, usually on a Sunday, I load up my bike with my tank bag, top box and side cases and hit the roads for about 500-600 kms. I set my GPS to avoid highways and choose the option of winding roads (this route option available only on the TomTom South East Asia program as far as I know). I end up passing through small villages, sometimes unpaved roads (the GPS is not 100% accurate when it comes to paved and unpaved roads) and when you only have 2 bars left on a Versys (equivalent to maybe 80 km or so), anxiety can set in fairly easily especially when you have not seen a proper petrol station for the last 100 km. I definitely don't want to be stranded on a B road in the middle of nowhere on a big bike that you can't easily push onto a pick up truck.

i was biking on countries like Iran, India, Cambodia for a long time and these areas were more middle of nowhere than Thailand for sure especially years ago.

And, i never got stranded anywhere with just a little planning - keep in mind no gps on these countries that time - Still, i run out of petrol in cities more than rural somehowbiggrin.png like a stupid hahah.

Anyway, if you feel secure with a can of petrol, just carry it with you. You have a Versys means you have lot's of space.

nice rides!

This is fine if you are talking about daily commuting or short journeys. As for me, usually on a Sunday, I load up my bike with my tank bag, top box and side cases and hit the roads for about 500-600 kms. I set my GPS to avoid highways and choose the option of winding roads (this route option available only on the TomTom South East Asia program as far as I know). I end up passing through small villages, sometimes unpaved roads (the GPS is not 100% accurate when it comes to paved and unpaved roads) and when you only have 2 bars left on a Versys (equivalent to maybe 80 km or so), anxiety can set in fairly easily especially when you have not seen a proper petrol station for the last 100 km. I definitely don't want to be stranded on a B road in the middle of nowhere on a big bike that you can't easily push onto a pick up truck.

As said if you plan as much as you can you should be OK if you going off the beaten track, you have a good range on a Versys anyway, I get around 320 kilos plus before the dreaded fuel flash, then I know I've got about 50k left but I am always around and near to fuel stations.

If I get to go out of the way more I will carry extra fuel for sure, I suppose there always the mobile back up 191 & 1155 though.:D