Farangs Talk Toooo Much!

JcCarlin

Well this is an opinion of my Thai GF after watching the movie 10,000 words. But in reality after watching the Eddie Murphy comedy, I did start contrasting Thai people and westerners. When Western movies are translated into Thai-much more vocabulary is often needed to express the detailed feelings within the scripts dialogue. Some of my friends who speak thai fluently in the Isaan region have told me that Thai's don't really like to express feelings or talk in metaphors so much when communicating. They also said many thai's are annoyed at most westerners if they are around them on a consistant basis just for the simple fact we like to share ideas and discuss them.

Anyone feel like talking to a window overlooking a swimming pool of sexy ladies can give you more postive feedback than your sweetheart?

Hmmm, ever tried to watch a movie / tv programme in the company of a local? Got a fantastic mrs who looks after our kids with all her heart and soul but why she cant shut her trap when a movie is on is beyond me lol

Edited by bkkjames

Hmmm, ever tried to watch a movie / tv programme in the company of a local? Got a fantastic mrs who looks after our kids with all her heart and soul but why she cant shut her trap when a movie is on is beyond me lol

My missus loves to give me a running commentary if she's seen the movie before, even likes to tell me the ending halfway through the movie. She also likes to read the last page of a book first to see how it ends.

Rule # 142

Do not open a thread under the influence of mind-altering substances.

You make an excellent point, but the practicalities are not so simple.

As with so many of the 'rules' in Thailand, the devil is in the detail...

SC

Silly topic, but I agree w/ Thais. I don't like listening to a bunch of farang chatter and trivial observations and opinions about everything in visible range (and invisible when that runs out). Thais do some of this too of course but at least it's not so readily understandable.

However, Filipinos are a much worse. And try sitting near a group of Indians on a bus. I keep my earplugs handy.

Japanese are my favorite.

Silly topic, but I agree w/ Thais. I don't like listening to a bunch of farang chatter and trivial observations and opinions about everything in visible range (and invisible when that runs out). Thais do some of this too of course but at least it's not so readily understandable.

However, Filipinos are a much worse. And try sitting near a group of Indians on a bus. I keep my earplugs handy.

Japanese are my favorite.

Hai

And whoa behold , if you open your trap when they are watching there Thai soap

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking"

Stephen Hawking.

Very true, indeed!

But sometimes silence speaks louder than words.

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking"

Stephen Hawking.

Very true, indeed!

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt then?

Rule # 142

Do not open a thread under the influence of mind-altering substances.

You make an excellent point, but the practicalities are not so simple.

As with so many of the 'rules' in Thailand, the devil is in the detail...

SC

True, we easily oversee the devil in the detail. Here it is:

Rule # 142

Do not open a thread under the influence of mind-altering substances. Unless you are in an advanced stage of inebriation than Rule # 138 on "The possibility of replying to a thread under the influence of mind-altering substances" may be extended to Rule # 142, providing Rule # 71 on "The principle of genuine and benign conversation" is largely adhered to.

silence speaks louder than words.

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt then?

You have identified the incredible difficulty of the situation:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts."

-- Bertrand Russell

Edited by Morakot

"The Road to Excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom"

-William Blake

I think in general people in the isaan region speak in less detail than any other region of Thailand. Just my observation and I think this topic is a little more relevant to readers than the location of the new McDonalds in Nong Khai.

Stephen Hawking.

I used to think my mate lived with Stephen Hawking until I realized it was the factory instaaled message on his answering machine.

• Like 2

Yeah, and they always pipe up just at the crucial moment you've been waiting for.

It's worse when you're trying to avoid a football score and the missus reads the score out from the ticker tape under the news!

I have seen 3 of your posts absolute sh..e, whatever it is yout on has addled your brain please stop.bah.gif

We could treat this two ways:

Option A)

I could speculate wildly about what you were talking about, but as Ray French and Allan Rooney would say

"there's no point speculating"

"No, none at all".

In future, to quell such speculation, you might want to use the quote function, so that we had an idea to whom you were talking, and what about.

Option B )

Excellent example. I am sure that there is a word even more precise than 'irony' to describe a speech that is itself the epitome of what it condemns, but sadly my limited vocabulary does not include that word

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

I think epitome is already good enough. Another might be autonym

http://en.wikipedia..../Self-reference although implies no qualification.

But 'epitome' does not capture the ironic (hypocritical, even) self-exemplary nature of the quote; the "pot calling the kettle black", so to speak.

SC

"Autological" seems a closer fit. 'Autologically ironic...'; 'hypocricially autological'

Neither is going to win the Oscar Wilde Award for succinctness, thoughSC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

As is evident by looking at some of the posts on this forum, many farangs are willing to have an in depth discussion about things that they have little knowledge about or not really interested in. So probably from a Thai's point of view, we do talk too much.

Mosts Thais that I know can talk endlessly about the lottery. The lottery holds no interest for me and so I find that boring.

I can have long converstaions with Thai farmers about farming, but if the Thai has no interest in farming, the converstaion will be very short and it will almost seem like the Thai has forgotten what we were talking about.

Many times I've had conversations like this one the other day with the missus.

"I saw your sister today, day off work?"

"Yes, she was ill" (at this point, I guess that she considered the conversation finished)

" She didn't look ill to me, she was drunk"

"Who?"

Stephen Hawking.

Very true, indeed!

Always liked that quote. Except when my teacher directed it at me. ha ha