Neil Armstrong, First Man On The Moon, Dies

cdnvic

In his excitement he fluffed his line. He mean't to say "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

That's true enough.

But seeing that he had just pulled off the greatest piece of fly by wire in the history of mankind I think he can be forgiven a wordslip, don't you!.

Neil Armstrong was the coolest hero ever.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy was amazing ... I remember well feeling huge pride for our countries' successes and the amazing feat of getting men to the moon in that time. I was a young 19-year old full of testosterone on my way to SEA, and his accomplishment was a highlight of my year. A true hero. may he RIP.

I remember it well. It is too bad that we haven't been back. RIP.

Slightly before my time however I have heard of him. I mentioned it my 15 yr old daughter in Australia and she said, "Who"? American history is not exactly taught in Australian schools but I thought she may have heard of him. Same goes for Thai wife she had never heard of him either.

R.I.P Mr Armstrong.

I suggest again remembering JFK in reflecting on Armstrong. Without JFK, no Armstrong. At least not that quickly. Yes the first man on the moon was an iconic moment, but I can tell you that for most Americans who were also alive when JFK was assassinated, they remember exactly where they were when they heard about the latter event even more.

Edited by Jingthing

Not surprised that most people wouldn't know his name. Partly because he went so low profile after the big event. But the general fact of the first man on the moon was a big deal and always will be.

You can pooh pooh this but the moon mission was really a step forward with meaning for all people on earth. It's not as if the USA claimed the moon's real estate!

Edited by Jingthing