Better Than Brick Lane?

SamSipEt

Woke up with fond memories from last night one of which I thought was worth sharing with you (one of the others is still sleeping but thats another story).

As any self respecting Englishman knows an evening of burp.gif is often followed by a ruby and last night was no exception. The best Chicken Tikka Marsala I’ve had in a long time (and I’ve eaten a few) was found in The Olde Bell.

Large chunks of chicken swimming in a delicious sauce that was as authentic as any served in one of the numerous curry houses to be found along Brick Lane licklips.gif so many thanks to Beer who served it and to Pedr who watched while I ate it clap2.gif

A number of off topic bickering posts have been removed.

Along with the replies to them.

Yes. Sponsors can promote their business.

Yes. Members can give opinions on local services as long as it is not a blatant promotion.

No. Members cannot defame local businesses, putting Thai Visa and the member at risk of being sued.

Are they home made or does Pedr buy them in ?

I didn't ask but it sure was nice. My guess is that they were made elsewhere (if his chef can cook as good a curry as that he should convert to an Indian restaurant) but I have no problem with that :-)

I think these are curries made by a guy in Chiang Mai and can be bought in Rimping, maybe elsewhere. I think they are called 'curry nights' But there are similar ones made by Sausage King. I prefer 'Curry nights' myself as it seems does the Old Belle.

for the sake of clarity as this is a sensitive subject. We buy our Chicken Tikka Masala (and the spelling can be Romanised from the Hindi in a number of ways Bri19000!). as well as our Chicken Korma, Chicken Vindaloo, Chicken Dopiaza and Chicken Dhansak . Our Lamb Balti is 'homemade' using Pataks Balti sauce mixed with our Lamb and vegetables, and our Prawn Madras and Veggie Rogan Josh are made using a sauce from Gourmet Cuisine, from Singapore. Our Pappadums are Pataks (specially imported from UK), Our Garlic and Coriander Nan breads are bought and Our Shish Kebabs are from Sausage King! For the record,we also buy many other fine products from Sausage King including several of our Pies, and some of our bacon, gammon, Rob's excellent ham and Cornish Pasties. We also make a number of dishes ourselves from scratch including our Shepherd's Pie, Aubergine Parmigiana, Fisherman's Pie, Liver 'n Bacon, Beef and Onion Stew and many others. So now you know the origin of our curries and other products!

Its really a matter of whether you like your Curry to be more Brick Lane than Bombay more Bradford than Bangalore, more Birmingham than Bihar. As a Brit I prefer the former! Others may differ!

I think it might of had something to do with the burp.gif that made it taste so good whistling.gif I prefer Sausage King Curries but the other ones curry nights are OK but certainly nothing like I can get in my hometown of Birmingham UK

Curries no matter who you ge them from taste way better when ya pissed and I am sure many will agree that eating one that you thought was good when pissed and then eating the same one when sober, can change that perception pretty quickly.

Robs Shish Kebabs ROCK (patty style I like) AWESOME STUFF

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

I think it might of had something to do with the burp.gif that made it taste so good whistling.gif I prefer Sausage King Curries but the other ones curry nights are OK but certainly nothing like I can get in my hometown of Birmingham UK

Curries no matter who you ge them from taste way better when ya pissed and I am sure many will agree that eating one that you thought was good when pissed and then eating the same one when sober, can change that perception pretty quickly.

DK

Why would someone want a curry like you get in B'ham40.gif, don't tell me, B'ham is the curry centre of the world 13.gif

DK

Why would someone want a curry like you get in B'ham40.gif, don't tell me, B'ham is the curry centre of the world 13.gif

Birmingham has a huge Indian population and is where the Balti style curry became originally popular, along with Brick Lane in London's East End it is one of the major curry centre's of the UK at least and us Brit's love our home grown curries!

I always enjoy good food and the curry that I had the other evening certainly hit the spot.

Provided that the food is of a certain standard it then comes down to your own preference and yes DK I would agree that the burp.gif consumed both before, during and after the meal added to the experience and that is the nature of a UK upbringing and curries in general.

I will go and try again early one evening to see if they are as good as my admittedly hazy memory tells me. Hoever given how touchy a subject this seems to be I don't think I'll post the results of any further curry taste tests where ever I might eat them.

DK

Well that certainly shows your lack on knowledge where currys are concerned LOL coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Alfie hasn't heard of much north of Watford DK! C'mon Alfie - never heard of the Balti Triangle Stratford Road and that area Alfie? some of the best curries in Uk!

Surely they can't be better than the ones you get in B'ham 38.gif.

LOL Stratford road is in Birmingham LOL biggrin.png

Edited by onthedarkside
flame removed

My favourite curry house was the Taste of Raj on New Cross Rd SE14. Best Goan fish Curry in the world!

Have you got Goan Fish curry on the menu and do you think it would be a suitable first course before moving on to tonights cheese event laugh.png

My favourite curry house was the Taste of Raj on New Cross Rd SE14. Best Goan fish Curry in the world!

Have you got Goan Fish curry on the menu and do you think it would be a suitable first course before moving on to tonights cheese event laugh.png

I don't think curry would go too well with cheese, SamSipEt - though the Indians use Paneer cheese in curry of course. Mango Chutney goes well with Austrian Smoked cheese believe it or not!

DK

When India was part of the Empire, spices from other parts of the Empire were taken there, so an Indian curry really is quite an authentic British dish believe it or not, and not because many Indians live in the UK, it goes back 150 years.

Well I had one of the Curry nights curries tonight and I have to say it was excellent. Far better than anything else around.

So you have tried everything around rolleyes.gif

I've tried most, but not all the restaurants, but nearly all the main ones people on here harp on about. From what I have tasted curry nights is superior to most restaurants and far superior to what is on offer for take away curries from Rimping. I know we can't name the competitor by name but for what the majority of us want in a curry, the unnamed is no match for curry nights.

And before people start complaining I am in no way connected to curry nights. i just enjoy a good curry.