Skull Found In N.Laos, Dates Modern Humans In Se Asia At 67K Years

maidu

67,000 years, a modern looking person died in northern Laos and his remains were washed in to a cave. That's 20,000 years older than any previous modern human remains ever found in SE Asia. 67,000 later, his skull has been found and analyzed.

link

Interesting indeed. With a large proportion of Americans on the board, there must be quite a few creationists amongst them.

I doubt it. Aside from a few missionaries you are unlikely to ever meet a creationist among Americans in Thailand. Those types of people generally don't leave their home state let alone go to Thailand. Americans that travel abroad for fun or work, as opposed to save the souls of the hell bound heathens, are usually well educated and worldly.

• Like 1

Interesting indeed. With a large proportion of Americans on the board, there must be quite a few creationists amongst them.

I doubt it. Aside from a few missionaries you are unlikely to ever meet a creationist among Americans in Thailand. Those types of people generally don't leave their home state let alone go to Thailand. Americans that travel abroad for fun or work, as opposed to save the souls of the hell bound heathens, are usually well educated and worldly.

I agree. I'm American, and I think creationists are going the way of flat worlders. There are still some clinging on to silly myths, but their # is declining. Now, if we could just knock some sense in to those who continue to believe that a virgin can birth a child .....we might get somewhere.

• Like 1

I agree. I'm American, and I think creationists are going the way of flat worlders. There are still some clinging on to silly myths, but their # is declining. Now, if we could just knock some sense in to those who continue to believe that a virgin can birth a child .....we might get somewhere.

I read Classics at university, and one thing is for certain; a lot of women in the past claim to have been visited by god / ghost / saint in the middle of the night and became pregnant. Especially those women whose husbands were away lot, worked long hours...you get the drift.

Edited by Pseudolus

Thailand is going to be really miffed, here is a regional hub they cant claim this week...

Maybe they will become "Thailand; regional hub of creationism" in a bid to make Laos lose face. Bet they are kicking themselves for the Miracle Thailand campaign now.

If you paced out 6.7 Km, and each centimeter = 1 year, you would be walking back 670,000 years, about the time of the earliest large hominids walking around Africa.

If you trekked 67 Km, and each cm = 1 year, you'd be back in the time of the dinosaurs, 67 million years ago.

ok, I'll shut up now.

Americans are heavily creationist. Especially republicans. Sad but true.

46% Americans Believe In Creationism According To Latest Gallup Poll

As the graph below shows, the percent of Americans who believe in creationism has increased slightly by 2 percent over the last 30 years.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/americans-believe-in-creationism_n_1571127.html Edited by Jingthing

Take your word for it. However why is it whenever a "gun" topic seems to come up this forum seems to fill up with Americans that should never have left their home state let alone come to Thailand ? I can handle the missionaries .......

Lets hope that our words and writings remain otherwise future archaeologists will be examining the remains of Millwall football stadium 67,000 years hence and ponder about the re emergence of Neanderthal man ...whistling.gif

I thought Americans might be leaning towards being realistic about science, it appears many are staying constipated in their thinking. Too bad. There's a limitless wealth of wonderment out there, regarding science and nature - with new things and concepts developing day by day.

I saw a TV special about an American couple who were very polarized in their thinking (I won't try to articulate why, here). They were so insistant that everyone believe exactly what they believed, that they abandoned their own three children (when the kids were teenagers), because the kids didn't agree exactly with the parents' extreme biases.

well, at least the parents (mentioned) aren't going around beheading innocent people, like extremist Taliban are prone to do. Other than that, extreme right-wing Christians (and Jews, for that matter) are not much different in their vericose thinking, than radical Muslims.

Edited by maidu