Virago 400 Pipes - Interchangeable?

robsamui

Hi.

I've got a chance to buy a 1990 Virago 400. The main fault cosmetically are the (straight) pipes which are shabby.

I've looked around and there seems to be an alternative - a nice looking swept pipe.

Anyone know from experience if the engine is common to both (presumably it is) and if the swept pipes will fit in place of the old shabby straight ones?

See pic below for comparison.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

post-4665-0-97312700-1345978457_thumb.jp

Hello. Yes, presumably it fits, the basic layout is same on all Virago.

It is also easy to have someone specialized in welding/modifying bikes hand make them.

If you live in Pattaya i can recommend a guy.

Hi,

I'm on Samui and I think I can do a deal with a guy who has a Virago (no book no papers, sitting in his shop getting dusty) so I can swap the pipes with him, plus some cash in hand.

The 400 series and the 535 looks like they are all the same V2 engine with the same dimensions. I was just hoping that someone could tell me for sure.

I will keep it in mind what you say about the pipes. I know exactly what I would really want (but I have to go and buy the dam_n bike first!) and it's good to know that I could get pipes made custom.

Thanks - I'll keep a note of your name for later, maybe!

Cheers

Rob

For me, the inner pipe that is kinda hidden, it was rusty,

so i had this thai guy making a new one, all he needed was the screw

that connect to the cylinder.

I also think original pipes look like shit so i bought 2nd hand pair (dragstar ?)

and had him make them fit.

I'm also totally fed up with rust, washing & rubbing so i powdercoated the whole thing

Edited by poanoi