Expecting Father Needs Advice On Childbirth In Los

centerlinevampire

:o

Swadeekah,

Hi , I need some solid advice about having my girlfriend (American) giving birth in LOS.

We are (really me) interested in returning to LOS to have our baby there.

Costs are lower...and we have no health ins.

We would prefer to relocate there permantley in future. No jobs at present.

Will the child get automatic Thai citinzenship?

Any idea how much $$$ for a normal childbirth, and will medical visa work best? Or should we just go with tourist visa and keep extending?

Have any of you guys been through this?

This will be our first child. Girlfriend is now at 10 weeks.

Thanks

Congrats :D

My daughter was born in BKK, 2001, cesearean section at one of the better private hospitals (Phyathai II) and total cost, including pre-natal was less than 2000 USD, wifey stayed 5 days in a private room, well attended, Doc was top notch, very happy with it, I wasn't bothered about the cost as I was making very good money at the time, (not like now :o ) but it wasn't very expensive anyway. Yes the child born of a thai parent in LOS will get Thai citenship you will have to hang around a bit to register the child etc, if neither of you are Thai then no your child won't be Thai, as for visa, I would suggest medical if it can be done, you don't want to be doing visa runs with a preggers wife, and you will have to fly out early or they won't let her plane if she's too big :D

Good Luck

My daughter was born in BKK, 2001, cesearean section at one of the better private hospitals (Phyathai II) and total cost, including pre-natal was less than 2000 USD, wifey stayed 5 days in a private room, well attended, Doc was top notch, very happy with it, I wasn't bothered about the cost as I was making very good money at the time, (not like now :D ) but it wasn't very expensive anyway. Yes the child born of a thai parent in LOS will get Thai citenship you will have to hang around a bit to register the child etc, if neither of you are Thai then no your child won't be Thai, as for visa, I would suggest medical if it can be done, you don't want to be doing visa runs with a preggers wife, and you will have to fly out early or they won't let her plane if she's too big :D

Good Luck

My daughter was born in BKK, 2001, cesearean section at one of the better private hospitals (Phyathai II) and total cost, including pre-natal was less than 2000 USD, wifey stayed 5 days in a private room, well attended, Doc was top notch, very happy with it, I wasn't bothered about the cost as I was making very good money at the time, (not like now :D ) but it wasn't very expensive anyway. Yes the child born of a thai parent in LOS will get Thai citenship you will have to hang around a bit to register the child etc, if neither of you are Thai then no your child won't be Thai, as for visa, I would suggest medical if it can be done, you don't want to be doing visa runs with a preggers wife, and you will have to fly out early or they won't let her plane if she's too big :D

Good Luck

:o

Thanks for the congrats my friend.

How many kids do you now have?

Thanks for the advice....the girlfriend and I are both American and look it.

I was hoping the baby could optain duel citizenship, by being born there to american parents.

Was hoping to have baby on Koh Samui, using waterbirth...at new hospital there.

Plus was told Thai's do not rush...less chance of cesarian birth...US is big on those.

Do you know how long a medical visa is good for? This is all new to me.

Warm regards.

Can't see how it will be much cheaper after you factor the costs of airfare into the equation. Also, be aware, since you are both US citizens, your child won't get automatic Thai citizenship and it will be a wait to get a passport for the child from the US embassy. Don't forget all the shots needed. Thailand doesn't subscribe to the CDC recommendations on vaccinations. No problem if you plan on staying there a long time, but what happens if you have to leave quickly? No passport, no fly.

Hope it works out well.

BJ

Child will be American only as you would not be legal residents of Thailand. There are serious flight restrictions during pregnancy so last minute travel would not be possible. No job and you intend to stay in Thailand? This isn't exactly "The big rock candy mountain" (I expect you are too young to know that song). Let's put it this way - without the means your stay in Thailand is not likely to be very pleasant.

Child will be American only as you would not be legal residents of Thailand. There are serious flight restrictions during pregnancy so last minute travel would not be possible. No job and you intend to stay in Thailand? This isn't exactly "The big rock candy mountain" (I expect you are too young to know that song). Let's put it this way - without the means your stay in Thailand is not likely to be very pleasant.

We were hoping to stay 6 months or longer if possible.

On our last vist we fell in love with the place and had hoped to return sooner, but the battles of everyday life kind of got in the way. Always something new to attend to, before you know a year or two flys by.

On the last visit I worked in sales (no work permit) but made good money.

I would hope to get a legitimate job this go around.

Even with airfare the prices are way cheaper in LOS......1,500 vs 5000 US.

But it's not all about money, it's more about finding a new home and a freeier, happier lifestyle.

Currently residing in Los Angeles....very expensive, and no community spirit......every man for himself here.....wanna return to normality, if thers is such a thing or place.

Hoping to get duel citizenship for my child....I believe Thailand would be a great place to grow and learn....what can I say I love the people and the culture....and would love to pass that along to my child if possible.

Thanks for listening to my dreams.

Can't see how it will be much cheaper after you factor the costs of airfare into the equation. Also, be aware, since you are both US citizens, your child won't get automatic Thai citizenship and it will be a wait to get a passport for the child from the US embassy. Don't forget all the shots needed. Thailand doesn't subscribe to the CDC recommendations on vaccinations. No problem if you plan on staying there a long time, but what happens if you have to leave quickly? No passport, no fly.

Hope it works out well.

BJ

How long do you think it will take to get a passport for the baby after he/she is born?

No hurries, but it would be good to know in advance.

How many vaccinations shots do babies need to get?

I'm so clueless on these matters, and the only way I'll ever be able to convince my girlfriend to do this is if I get all the info right and it makes sense. Anything else you might think of that would be helpful..I'm all ears.

Thanks

Mate, forget trying to get your future baby a Thai passport or even residency.

My daughter was born in the worst most expensive hotel in Thailand called Bamrungrad. I don't recommend it as they rip foriegners off. They had a package(casaerean) for 40,000 baht or natural for 30,000 - maybe a bit more now. The made us have the caesarean, as the doctor needed to be able to plan his golfing tee times at the country club.

Waterbirth on Koh Samui! Christ man you sound like a did 13 years ago on Koh Pan Ngan - a fcking hippy waster. get some kind of qualification - even if it is only teaching English then your stay in Thailand will be much easier.

Go to the webpage Centers for Disease Control, just search CDC. Then immunizations. They have a printable childhood vacination list. Put the approximate birth date and it will give you the go by. Then take it if you go and make sure they follow it.

Passports can take weeks. Search Bangkok US Embassy. They have a good webpage, go to citizen services and you can answer most of the questions you have.

I would stay away from the water birth deal. I'm in the medical field and have seen things go south. Then what? What if the baby breaches? Some kids need extra care, some have heart problems. Not trying to scare you but.. Do it in a hospital for the childs sake. There is a great birthing center in Rayong, south of Pattaya. Can't remeber the site, but search it. The doc has the baby pictures etc on it. Better price, better care. I agree on the above post about Bangkok.

Good luck!

BJ

We had a baby in Bumgrad, no problems and I guess it all depends on the individual and the docs you choose.

We asked around, we found a female doc who was recommended as the best there. She had the most experience at the time and was a teacher at whatever medical school for her field also.

I was worried about the caesarian deal also as I had heard exactly the same reasoning as Neeranam had mentioned.

I made a point of getting my missus to ask the doc how many C's she had delivered compared to natural, on a percentage basis. i then also got her to ask at the reception to verify this independant from the doc. this info tolf me that she was not an automatic 'C' kinda doc. We also sat down with her and told her that we do not want 'C' at ALL, unless obviously it is an emergancy and required.

Happy to say all went well and natural was the way.

As for cost, I do not disagree with the extra charges here for farang, but I choose to pay it until I find a better place with better docs. We were quoted 33k I think for the natural delivery, that included 2 nights I think. But strange thing was that our insurance paid for it, so we had no out of pocket expense, but I saw the receipt from the hospital to the insurance company and it was for at least twice that amount.