Golden Retrievers

Hello, If anyone is interested in quality Golden retrievers. my wife and I have a kennel out side of khon kaen. We are expecting three litter in February 2006. At this time we have one male pup Samson. The only pup of his litter. Sire is American Golden imported to Thailand now showing in Korea and China. The dam comes from a Thai Champion line.

You can find out about all of our pets and our Kennel by visiting my profile

we speak Thai and English and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Breeding Pedigree and Non-Pedigree Golden Retrievers

prices start at 8,000bt

thank you

Grayland Nelson

edit: Please read the forum rules with regard to links and advertising.

udon.

Edited by udon

Very useful pets.......My wife asked for something Gold for our anniversary last year, so I bought her a Golden Retriever. Pym is now a big bag of trouble, albeit a lovely bag of trouble :o

post-14019-1138155763_thumb.jpg

Edited by lampard10

post-17093-1138158873_thumb.jpg

I have an eleven month male named Cookie. He is a bundle of energy and loves kids. He is still growing and he is quite clumsy. He is the biggest dog in the neighborhood and every other male dog in the area has beaten him up. The small kids ride him like a pony. I just hope he learns to protect himself from the other dogs. He appears quite intelligent and just simply can't understand why other dogs want to bite instead of play.

Hello, If anyone is interested in quality Golden retrievers. my wife and I have a kennel out side of khon kaen. We are expecting three litter in February 2006. At this time we have one male pup Samson. The only pup of his litter. Sire is American Golden imported to Thailand now showing in Korea and China. The dam comes from a Thai Champion line.

You can find out about all of our pets and our Kennel by visiting my profile

we speak Thai and English and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Breeding Pedigree and Non-Pedigree Golden Retrievers

prices start at 8,000bt

thank you

Grayland Nelson

edit: Please read the forum rules with regard to links and advertising.

udon.

Grayland, since you are in the "business" perhaps you could give me some advice. My wife and I have a pedigreed GR (female). Sire and Dam are both from Thailand, but ancestry on both sides is orginally from the US, with several champions listed on her papers. Our GR, soon to be one year old, is very much a family dog and we have no inclination whatsoever in pursuing dog shows or anything like this. However, given her pedigree, we now feel somewhat obligated to let her have one litter with another pedigreed GR, just to keep her bloodline going. While rare, her birth was a one pup litter. We would mate her in approx. 6 months. While several of my friends have GR's, none are pedigreed (still great dogs, but that would defeat the purpose of keeping the bloodline going). While my wife and I have time to change our minds, assuming we don't, how would we arrange this? Do we go to someone such as yourself and if so, generally, how much would this cost? From my side, I guess we would end up selling the pups, but then that is what you do and not what we do.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you have on this.

post-17093-1138158873_thumb.jpg

I have an eleven month male named Cookie. He is a bundle of energy and loves kids. He is still growing and he is quite clumsy. He is the biggest dog in the neighborhood and every other male dog in the area has beaten him up. The small kids ride him like a pony. I just hope he learns to protect himself from the other dogs. He appears quite intelligent and just simply can't understand why other dogs want to bite instead of play.

Hi Gary,

How strange,

We purchased a 5 month old Golden bitch from a reputable breeder a few weeks ago. On the way home, we tried to come up with a new name (the breeder called her 'Busty', which we weren't keen on). My thai wife, from nowhere, said how about "Cookie"?. So Cookie it is. So there is now a male and female Cookie in Thailand - we are in Pattaya. Maybe we should breed little chocolate chips? Our Cookie is still much smaller than your Cookie, and as we have quite a spread ( nearly 1 Rai) I only take her out on walks with a lead -and keep all the dogs awy with a big stick. We don't have an un-chewed shoe left between us. But she is so loveable we can't get angry. :o How about you? :D

post-24265-1138353784_thumb.jpgI've got a lovely golden named Waffle. He is 11 months old. He likes to pick shoes up and carry them around, but doesn't really chew them. I like to keep him shaved, but let his coat grow during the colder evening weather. I suppose Ill shave him again in March, in preparation for the hot season.

These pictures are from September or so. He is enjoying his new doghouse.

post-24265-1138353854_thumb.jpg

post-24265-1138353877_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbowman1993

post-17093-1138366878_thumb.jpgOur Cookie learned very quickly not to chew or drag our shoes away. Every time he even looked at a shoe we would swat him with it and talk loudly to him. He does have the retrieving instinct big time and loves to carry things around. It doesn't matter what you throw he will fetch it. Rocks, bricks, tree limbs or a ball are retrieved by him. He also loves water or even mud. The wife gets quite upset with him. She will give him a bath and he will look for the nearest mud hole to wallow in. We have two rai fenced in so he has room to run and play. To keep him clean we have to keep the gates closed. He loves to ride in the back of the truck but I don't trust him not to fall out. He puts his front feet of the side of the bed and runs from side to side. He is clumsy so I'm afraid it would be easy for him to fall out and get hurt.

He is also not allowed on the tiled front or back porch. He got tired of hearing the wife yell at him for huge muddy foot prints on her clean porches so he will not walk on tile floors.

Our GR (Not Pedigree) has just given birth to her first litter of pups. They are currently 3 1/2 weeks old.

We are located in Bangkok and would be delighted to hear from anyone interested in a bundle of fun.

Please PM me for further details.

post-24265-1138353784_thumb.jpgI've got a lovely golden named Waffle. He is 11 months old. He likes to pick shoes up and carry them around, but doesn't really chew them. I like to keep him shaved, but let his coat grow during the colder evening weather. I suppose Ill shave him again in March, in preparation for the hot season.

I think it's a good idea to shave them in the heat and humidity of LOS.

It also makes it easy to spot ticks, especially if your dog has a dark coat. :o

nice to read about your lovely pet dogs :D

just want to add that thai 'street' dogs can become the same 'bundles of fun' and love to retrieve etc if treated and raised the same way, usually they have strong genes and are healthy, and you don't have to buy them, many also have long, fluffy coats :o:D

I also own a GR and I tend to make comparisons with her and other GR's I see around. Mine is a really deep gold colour, very dark indeed whilst the others I see around tend to be much lighter, some almost white in colour.

I dont wish to start a GR war here but can anyone tell me which colour is actually the one that is expected from a GR

I also own a GR and I tend to make comparisons with her and other GR's I see around. Mine is a really deep gold colour, very dark indeed whilst the others I see around tend to be much lighter, some almost white in colour.

I dont wish to start a GR war here but can anyone tell me which colour is actually the one that is expected from a GR

why don't you check with the many sites on the www about GRs, lots more useful info there as well! :o

We don't have an un-chewed shoe left between us. But she is so loveable we can't get angry. :D How about you? :D

First rule when getting a new dog, HIDE THE SHOES! :D

We do hide our shoes now - what's left of them. Told the maid to do the same but she forgot - two half chewed, ruined flip flops was the result. She didn't have any shoes to go home in so the Missus had to give her a pair of her expensive shoes. (all the cheapies have been destroyed). Anyone know how I can stop Cookie from stealing and chewing shoes? I'm starting to train her :o and she does a passable 'sit' and 'heel', when she's in the mood and hungry for treats. :D

We bought our GR in Chaingmai for 3,500 Baht with a full pedigree.

The OP's price sounds rather expensive.

I dare not tell you how much mine was - but the wife nearly had a fit. Both parents were champions and we bought her from a show breeder in Ratchaburi. I have to say she's beautiful - worth every Baht!! :D

Any advice on chewing shoes - someone out there must know what to do (apart from hiding all the shoes - a bit difficult in Thailand when all the visitors take them off outside the door - where Cookie is lurking, ready to pounce). :o

I agree that they are absolutley adorable dogs, despite the shoechewing, best thing is to give Cookie a pair of old flip flops (or a new pair for 50 Baht) then Cookie can chew away in complete contentment. Thats what we give our Cindy

Chew YOUR OWN shoes,...not ours please... there's a good doggie!!

GR's come in a variety of colors from a light tan to a darker brown. My GR's papers list her color as copper-gold, which I find humerous since she is really a reddish brown. I had a similar question a few months ago and started looking at various websites out of the US and it clealry showed that GR champions come in a variety of shades of gold, but their sizes are standardized more or less.

I dare not tell you how much mine was - but the wife nearly had a fit. Both parents were champions and we bought her from a show breeder in Ratchaburi. I have to say she's beautiful - worth every Baht!! :D

Any advice on chewing shoes - someone out there must know what to do (apart from hiding all the shoes - a bit difficult in Thailand when all the visitors take them off outside the door - where Cookie is lurking, ready to pounce). :o

I really don't think you can stop a young dog from chewing things. I sent mine to an expensive obedience school and she can jump through hula hoops, play dead, roll over, crawl etc., but she still chews shoes. They will grow out of this, eventually, at least my poodle did. My problem now is my GR has taken a liking to one of our outside doors, to the point that once she outgrows chewing, we will have to have the door replaced.

I think it's a good idea to shave them in the heat and humidity of LOS.

It also makes it easy to spot ticks, especially if your dog has a dark coat. :D

Hi, I'm not an expert - in fact I know next to nothing about dogs in general or Goldens in particular. But I came across this advice today on the net - for what it's worth.:- :o

I can't handle all the hair! What is your opinion on shaving a Golden?

Do not shave your Golden. An undercoat rake and a steady routine of brushing will solve the problem. Goldens actually have two coats of hair. Their coat is designed to keep them comfortable and protect them in both winter and summer. During the winter, the undercoat grows, and in the spring they begin to blow that coat. The undercoat rake is designed to remove all of the dead undercoat. When first using one, it will take a few sessions of raking and brushing to remove all of the dead coat, but once you have done that, a weekly routine of brushing and using the undercoat rake will keep shedding to a minimum. The first time you use it, you will be shocked at the amount of hair you remove.

Combine the undercoat rake with the porcupine thistle brush are all the tools you need to keep your Golden's coat looking beautiful and you can control indoor shedding.

On another - golden - subject. The breeder who sold me Cookie, now 6 months old, advised me not to have her spayed. he said it would make her fat and affect her personality. I have bought 2 books on goldens, and have visited numerous web sites and all the advice is 100% to have her spayed, before she comes into season for the fist time, unless I want to breed or show her (which I don't). They all say that sensible feeding will keep her size under control, and spaying will not affect her personality. Apparently there are many health risks, including cancer which will be greatly reduced if she is spayed. Any opinions from the experts would be welcome. Thanks. :D

A friend of mine has a mut and he didn't want her to have pups so the vet gave her a shot that was supposed to be good for a year. She GOT fat and lazy. My friend is sure she got fat because of that birth control. After the first year she started bleeding and a trip to the vet confirmed that she had serious problems. He did the surgery and removed everything. She is now on the road to recovery and is looking pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to have her spayed.

• 2 weeks later...

As with all things you get what you pay for. I can not imagine a pedigree Golden Retriever for 3,500bt. I spend 2,000bt a month to feed one dog. Yes it can be done for less...So maybe they feed their dogs grass and rice as many here do. I have a kennel not a farm and we love each of our dogs and yes we sell the pups.

I would not think about buying a dog for 3,500 bt in anyway due to misrepresentation of the dog by the seller. I have emails everyday from people all over south East Asia and know the stories that go with 3,500bt "pedigree" dogs. Like the "pedigree is in the mail", or "I will send it to you", or "it's a registration not a pedigree" or the famous " he was not sick when you bought him", or "all dogs limp when they walk", or "you pay the Vet. bill and I will pay you later".

Their is no way that a quality Champion line Golden Retriever can be sold for 3,500bt. A stud fee alone is 20,000bt to start. Much less a pedigree Golden Retriever. Vet bills, food and care. grooming , kennel club fees and time. At the least a quality dog ( non pedigree )must be 8,000bt. it's impossible to breed and care for a female and male to sell pups for less. Although I see it often in Thailand. So you do the math on what you will end up with. Do you really want your 2 year old child playing with a dog that was mated with it's brother or father? As is the case more than not with this type of 3,500bt dog?

So as I said you get what you pay for.

I will add ...I have a non-pedigree female that is just as beautiful and loving as my pedigree and we love her just as much as the others. You do not need a pedigree to have a great and loving Dog. It's just many people like to know in writing what the history of their pup is. Funny people think twice at buying a pair of shoes for 4,000bt knowing they will only last a few years. But seem to think that a loving animal at 20,000bt that will love you for 12-14 years, day in and day out is expensive?

regards

Grayland Nelson

GoneNorth, you are obviously one of Thailand's foremost experts on Golden Retrievers. One quick question:

I have seen in this forum where some suggest it best to cut the Golden's hair short during our hot season in Thailand, while others have advised to use an undercoat rake and rake out the shedding undercoat. While raking the undercoat seems to make more sense to me, I don't want to make a mistake and hurt my dog. With your dogs, during our hot season do you cut their hair short or do you brush out the shedding undercoat, or both?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I agree with Old man river, about Gonenorth being an expert on breeding Golden Retrievers.

I went up to his kennels about 2 weeks ago and came back home with Samson, he is the most adorable dog i have ever seen, the kids love him. Samson is a very good dog and seems to be well trained, so the Kennel does do some pre-training before you recieve the dog. Samson is good with kids because Gonenorth has children so there dogs are used to kids.

I also agree with his pricing of the dogs, if you want a good dog from a very good pedigree line 20.000 is not alot of money to pay. Me and the wife are already thinking of buying another Golden from them.

There web site has a lot of imformation so i would reccomend a visit if you are thinking of a Golden Retriever.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Golden Retriever male named Cookie was such a wimp that I coudn't walk him anywhere. The soi dogs would come after him and he would piss himself and roll over on his back. A Thai friend has an old 12 year old female ridgeback that beat him up.

FINALLY at a year old he figured out that he is a VERY large dog and he doesn't have to be afraid of the soi dogs anymore. Our neighbor has a pack of four soi dogs and they always picked on Cookie. One of them made the mistake of biting him after he laid down on his back. He got angry for the first time got up and took after all of them. They now are afraid of him.

Our Golden Retriever male named Cookie was such a wimp that I coudn't walk him anywhere. The soi dogs would come after him and he would piss himself and roll over on his back. A Thai friend has an old 12 year old female ridgeback that beat him up.

FINALLY at a year old he figured out that he is a VERY large dog and he doesn't have to be afraid of the soi dogs anymore. Our neighbor has a pack of four soi dogs and they always picked on Cookie. One of them made the mistake of biting him after he laid down on his back. He got angry for the first time got up and took after all of them. They now are afraid of him.

lol :o The same thing happened with our Golden who has now grown to be a pretty darn big dog. Must be about 6-7 soi dogs (belong to neighbors) that would give him a hard time. He is really jealous about his toys and his food. We let him out front one time and had his play toy with him. One of the soi dog's made a big mistake and went for the toy. Heard this horrible screaming sound and went out to find the soi dog was being tossed around like a rag doll, except now a bloody rag doll. Really surprised me, but the soi dogs stay pretty clear of him now.

Do not breed your Golden unless you are a professional. There are so many Golden that were bred poorly. The breed is getting watered down. Also, inferior breeding has made many Goldens nervous and high strung. A good Golden in the US is at least $1000.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think you can stop a young dog from chewing things. I sent mine to an expensive obedience school and she can jump through hula hoops, play dead, roll over, crawl etc., but she still chews shoes. They will grow out of this, eventually, at least my poodle did. My problem now is my GR has taken a liking to one of our outside doors, to the point that once she outgrows chewing, we will have to have the door replaced.

Having been in the GR breeding business back a few years (albeit not to the extent of GoneNorth), a few experiences and lessons do come back to me regarding dealing with chewing.

We would never attempt to stop our dogs from chewing as it is their method of brushing the pearly whites. Rather we would give them alternative 'chewies' which in our case was raw wood products such as sticks and the always appreciated bone. Should they take to something not on the 'chewable' list, we would take the item from them with a firm verbal command of NO while displaying the item to them. This would be followed by giving them an item that was on the 'chewable' list.

As with any dog, their world consists of 'always' or 'never so by re-enforcing this approach with complete repeatability, it did not take them long to learn what was on the list of chewies and what was not. We did not give them anything to chew on which was a discarded verson of something that was otherwise not allowed. To them, a shoe is a shoe is a shoe. :D

With GR's, we found that verbal reprimands were just as effective (if not more so) than physical actions. It is impossible to train a dog to follow hand commands when they are afraid of the same hand giving them a swat for bad behavior.

GR's love to please, give them the right learning environment and you will not be disappointed. The key is consistancy in your training methods.

We could go on and on about these :D family members but will refrain for now. :D

:D Happy petting :D

Do not breed your Golden unless you are a professional. There are so many Golden that were bred poorly. The breed is getting watered down. Also, inferior breeding has made many Goldens nervous and high strung. A good Golden in the US is at least $1000.

Tim

Agreed Tim, it is not a cottage industry, leave professional matters to those in the know or who are willing to learn the in's and out's. :D

I'm making quite slow progress in training Cookie who is now just over 7 months old and weighs over 21 kilos.

Its mainly down to my lack of patience and dedication, but there have been some extenuating factors like her recovery from being spayed, followed by a very worying time when she was limping and I thought she was seriously ill.

(Although she's not totally out of the woods yet, as she still seems to favour her front legs sometimes, but the vet has assured me it is tendonitous and will clear up.)

On the training front, she has learned a few things in spite of my lousy training. She always sits on my command and looks at me lovingly, and she is good on the lead, and pretty much never pulls the lead tight if I take her out for a walk. She will come to me when I call her, but I haven't managed to train her to stand when she's sitting, to lay down or to stay, all of which are quite important. She does stop barking when I tell her to. But I think I'll have to renew my efforts to complete her training. If she can sit, stand, lay, stay, come, and walk properly on the lead, I guess that's all I need.

When I play with her, she will run and retrieve the ball 2 - 3 times and bring it back to me, but then she gets lazy and runs to the ball and then just sits down with it, instead of returning to me. A couple more of these and she either won't get the ball at all, or she will get it and run away to another part of the garden. This behaviour is a little strange, because when I take her to a nearby lake, she is absolutely incredible. I throw a piece of wood way out into the lake and she will run and swim after it, put it in her mouth, swim and paddle back to the shore, drop the wood about a metre from me, shake off her surplus water and then walk right up to me, sit in front of me and look lovingly into my eyes. She will carry on doing this until she drops from exhaustion - and I never trained her to do it! I suppose its in her genes?

Cookie is the most adorable loving pet I have ever come across. She is also extemely intelligent - smarter than me.

Any coments on all this from GR lovers (especially new owners with growing puppies) are welcome. What are your experiences?