Bangkok Administration To Install Emergency Boxes At 112 Risky Sites

webfact

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday announced that it would be installing emergency boxes at 112 dangerous locations in 22 districts to help people report crimes, emergencies or public annoyances round the clock. The law enforcers' motorbikes would be equipped with a GPS to locate the problem area in time.

So the box is on a bike? Pleeeeeeeeease get some journalists.

Learn to read boy, "The law enforcers' motorbikes would be equipped with a GPS to locate the problem area in time."

Pleeeeeeeeeease get some freaking glasses

Maybe you have to pay in advance to get a response. Like an electronic travel permit for Australia ....

Example, swipe card, make call. 200THB deducted from card if phone is answered, thereafter 30THB per min to describe your situation, an then flat fee 500THB for a human response. Then charges are added based on what unfolds ..... you can opt to pay tea money in advance and get a discount, like excess baggage (don't do it at the airport!!)

Just my two satangs worth, but wouldn't it be better to increase police patrols in those 112 locations which have been determined to be so dangerous? Sorry, just caught myself trying to use some common sense!

I agree.

There has to be at least 10,000 BIB in Bangkok why not just station 1 human policeman at each of these 112 locations. It does not seem the boys are spread all that thin within the city.

Edited by dcutman

It is one thing to have the emergency boxes. It is another thing to get a rapid response.

I am curious as to what the "card swipe" thing is ?.......do you have to use a credit card to make a call ?....rolleyes.gif

Well done BiB, bribery and corruption going hi-tech...they now accept a credit card payment before they do anything

After you push the button, the red alarm light will start to flash and can only be stopped

by the police showing up in person and swipe their ID. Obvious, isn't it ?

It is one thing to have the emergency boxes. It is another thing to get a rapid response.

I am curious as to what the "card swipe" thing is ?.......do you have to use a credit card to make a call ?....rolleyes.gif

Well done BiB, bribery and corruption going hi-tech...they now accept a credit card payment before they do anything

After you push the button, the red alarm light will start to flash and can only be stopped

So, only one emergency per box at a time. :(

I never would have thought of that

So, only one emergency per box at a time. :(

I think you can do multiple calls - maybe after every new call the flashing theme changes ¿

And the Emergency button is???

Open the lid, pull out the lever, attach the cord and activate the device. Once the button has appeared, turn it three times while continuously swiping your card . For more information about the card, call the number at the back of the box.

Edited by Morakot

I welcome the idea of these emergency boxes, but I wonder why and at what cost they absolutely want to do this. Nowadays the majority, not to say all people, have a cell phone. In my home country we had a similar system at our motorways but little by little they get taken out of service..

I can think of a few reasons of which there are more or less aesthetic ones.

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday announced that it would be installing emergency boxes at 112 dangerous locations in 22 districts to help people report crimes, emergencies or public annoyances round the clock. The law enforcers' motorbikes would be equipped with a GPS to locate the problem area in time.

So the box is on a bike? Pleeeeeeeeease get some journalists.

Learn to read boy, "The law enforcers' motorbikes would be equipped with a GPS to locate the problem area in time."

Pleeeeeeeeeease get some freaking glasses

I think they mean to say that the GPS will help them to get to the problem are in time. The location is presumably close to where the box is. So glad to know that the local police are so au fait with their locality that they need a GPS to work out where the box or crime is. Now I forgive every taxi driver in Bangkok for not knowing where he is going, if it is beyond 5 blocks away, if the local coppers need a GPS to find somewhere.

Of course, a GPS with no traffic function doesn't help much.

Of course, none of the article explains why you can't simply call the police if you want to report something. Amazing technology telephones. Beyond that, as others mentioned, why not simply get coppers to patrol these dastardly 120 odd extremely dangerous places. The moment I see one of these green boxes, (which hopefully won't be positioned in a great big box 2metres from a junction so that the block the view of drivers trying to turn), I shall vacate the area. These are obviously black holes communication wise, or do the crimes only happen within 10sqm of the box, so they will provide extremely convenient communication tools should the entire mobile and land based telephone system simultaneously implode so that no one is capable of making a simple phone call.

Beyond that, I hope that the GPS is equipped completely with Thai language, because locating Ekkamai, Ekhamai, Ekkamai, Ekhaamai, or Ekkahmai can be a real bitch when under time pressure to reach this apparently KNOWN dangerous spot. Note to Bangkok police, Sukhumvit Road goes all the way to Cambodia so don't believe the GPS if it sends you on the expressway in the direction of Pattaya. That also goes for Pahonyothin which still has addresses in Chiangmai.

"The BMA has warned people to not push the emergency button unless there's a real emergency or they could face up to six months in jail or Bt1,000 in fine."

Why not just put a sign on the boxes saying "WET PAINT" too . . .

So, only one emergency per box at a time. sad.png

I think you can do multiple calls - maybe after every new call the flashing theme changes ¿

Hope it also plays the Jinger Ben theme during Xmas. :rolleyes: