Drivers License

TheFishman1

The wife paid about 600B for her new license yesterday.

Don't forget that you'll also need a health check and a certificate of residency. that will be about 600B as well.

Was this money under the table or was she ripped off? If I remember right, it's about 200 something Baht. blink.png

Well, she did have to sit in a 1 hr lecture on safety (this is because she let her license expire over 4 months ago), maybe there was an extra charge for that. Come to think of it, I paid something like 250B each for my licenses last time I renewed. May also have to do with she only needs a car license renewal as her motorcycle license does not expire.

Who knows, but to the OP's question, plan on it being under 1000B for the whole thing.

I applied for a licence yesterday; the staff were very helpful and courteous, but suggested I come back in November.

The only reason I can think of for the postponement is that I've recently returned from overseas, and my 90 days will be up in mid-November.

Is this normally a problem? Yes, I had a medical certificate and also a residency form from Immigration.

They did process my vehicle transfer papers with no problems and I was hoping they could use the same health certificate and residency form, but no such luck.

You have an International Drivers Permit. This is not a license & is merely a proof that you have a valid license from the country where your Permit was issued. The local authorities will only recognise your original drivers license and there will be no cost savings for having a Permit.

The cost of a Thai license is minimal and if you go to a National Park you will get Thai admission prices and so will recoup your costs in no time.

The best way to deal with the licencing centre, as with most Thai agencies, is to go in and ask them for a current check-list of what they require. If you try to second guess them, you'll almost certainly omit some new bit of paper they've dreamt up. Its also worth bringing heaps of photocopies of anything remotely relevant. Thais love photocopies. There are always photocopy machines in these offices, but many are ancient and prone to malfunction just as you get to the front of the queue. That or the operator is at lunch/gone to the loo/called in sick etc.!

And remember, you need some kind of Non-O visa

I obtained my one year temporary driver license on a Tourist Visa at the Chiang Mai LTD and has been known to be done on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Legally you can't

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

snip 'If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).'

I obtained my one year temporary driver license on a Tourist Visa at the Chiang Mai LTD and has been known to be done on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Legally you can't

http://driving.infor...ng-licence.html

snip 'If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).'

You are in Thailand and most things not done by the book. Your quoting from a private source which is advertising International Driving License which by international agreement are illegal. An International Driving Permit is legal.

Edited by khwaibah

Legally you can't

http://driving.infor...ng-licence.html

You are in Thailand and most things not done by the book.

But giving you driver license on turist visa is a big risk both for you and the people who did it. If something happens, all of you are in deep shit

"But giving you driver license on turist visa is a big risk both for you and the people who did it. If something happens, all of you are in deep shit"

Incorrect. As said not all things are black and white in the LOS. I'm now on my second 5 years DL

Edited by khwaibah

"But giving you driver license on turist visa is a big risk both for you and the people who did it. If something happens, all of you are in deep shit"

Incorrect. As said not all things are black and white in the LOS. I'm now on my second 5 years DL

Ok. Its not much to discuss. Its your life and you do what you want.

I only tell people that dont like to bribe people how it should be done

Edited by expat63

I think the point you are missing is that there is no bribing involved. They simply allow people to apply/get a driver's license without being on a Non-Imm visa.

I think the point you are missing is that there is no bribing involved. They simply allow people to apply/get a driver's license without being on a Non-Imm visa.

Ok. You probably know then.

Edited by expat63

Bribing...Who said anything about bribing? Naughty Naughty.

You should know. If you have your 2th DL on turist visa means you have been here in Thailand on the same visa type for more than 6 years.

That's not logical. It simple means he made his DL on a tourist visa. he could have since changed the type of visa he's on.

You should know. If you have your 2th DL on turist visa means you have been here in Thailand on the same visa type for more than 6 years.

hi,

first of all they issue you with a tempory 1 year licence which you can apply for with a tourist visa, medical letter that you can get at the hospital on the way to the transport office 100 baht and a residence certificate that you can get from immigration 500 baht.

after 1 year you can convert to a 5 year full driving licence but they don't accept a tourist visa.

they issue two seperate licences one for car and one for motorbike .

the price for 1 tempry licence i think is around 200 baht and 5 year is around 400,

they charge bit extra if you want a plastic credit card type also,

the car one costs a bit more than the bike one,

when i applied i paid around 400 for both tempory licences and 5 year around 900 baht or less,

if you have a drivers licence from your home country the process is easy .

first step is to get a residence certificate then hospital letter then goto transport office with your passport and current drivers licence,

if your also going to buy a car or bike you can use the one residence certificate for both applications - tell them and they will make a certified copy etc for you,

• Like 1