No Free Wifi Router When Applying For 3Bb Internet? Everybody Has To Pay For 3Bb Router Or Buy One ?

Fgis

One thing to note. On my screenshot showing the DD-WRT, it shows DHCP as disabled. In fact it should normally be enabled (In my case I have another server handling DHCP) and the Router IP can be whatever, such as 10.0.0.1 as you are using.

• 2 weeks later...

Just flashed my Netgear WNDR3700v2 router with DD-WRT and cannot get it working with the 3BB HUAWEI+SmartAX.

The wireless Netgear router is daisy chained on to the HUAWEI Smart AX router, it worked ok like this before I flashed the Netgear router.

I can't get internet WAN connectivity now. The only way I managed was to change WAN to disabled and WAN port to switch.

The 3BB has a defaul IP of 192.168.1.1 and I want the Netgear to be a DHCP 10.0.0.0/24 network for the LAN.

Please can anyone help before I flash the thing back to Netgear factory firmware!

http://www.4freeimag...c7c3e271361.jpg

Depends what you are trying to achieve. Looking at the screen shot of the DD-WRT setup, I guess you have the Huawei set up as router 1 and the Netgear as router 2. Unless you have some special requirement to have 2 routers this isn't the correct configuration because the Huawei is doing all the work (adsl sync and NAT) and then the Netgear is just doing NAT again. It will work - but less efficiently than if you just took the Netgear away.

If your purpose is simply to have a stable internet connection then the Huawei needs to be in bridge mode (only handling ADSL) and the Netgear functioning as the router (NAT,DHCP, SPI etc). In this configuration your ISP login details are entered into the DD-WRT WAN Setup page, not the Huawei. As follows;

1 - connect the Huawei to your PC and set mode to Bridge and the VPI/VCI to whatever your ISP uses (eg 1/32 or 0/100). Save and exit.

post-50983-0-19949400-1347852659_thumb.p

2 - Connect a cable from the WAN port on the Netgear to a LAN port on the Huawei.

3 - Now connect the Netgear to your PC and in Wan Setup under Connection type select "PPPOE" and enter your ISP login and password. Save and reboot.

post-50983-0-12896000-1347851717_thumb.p

That should be it. In the DD-WRT Status/Wan page you should see that you are connected to your ISP and have been assigned an IP address.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. Cheers

It looks like you " 'dah man" and understand LAN setups:

Can you help me .... I, too, just had a 3Bb internet line installed and have (1) Huawei box.

What brand/model router(?) would you recommend and how would I set it up so that I can have internet access via my laptop from any room in my one story house? (Would this be termed a LAN configuration?)

- I can make my 3Bb internet connection wireless?

- I also have a desktop computer.

- After I get everything (per your forth-coming instructions wai.gif), how do I access and configure my Huawei MT 880 box?

Thanks!

Edited by Ahnsahn

What brand/model router(?) would you recommend

Read this topic about the Asus router:

how would I set it up so that I can have internet access via my laptop from any room in my one story house? (Would this be termed a LAN configuration?)
I can make my 3Bb internet connection wireless?

The configuration is basiclly the same (in the pictures from Dork) but with a different Front End, you must read the manual of the router since PPPoE and Wifi setup are very popular configurations.

For the Huawei access you can call 3BB, wait that some user give you the credentials or look in google "huawei 3bb access"

What brand/model router(?) would you recommend

Read this topic about the Asus router:

http://www.thaivisa....ce#entry5698490

how would I set it up so that I can have internet access via my laptop from any room in my one story house? (Would this be termed a LAN configuration?)
I can make my 3Bb internet connection wireless?

The configuration is basically the same (in the pictures from Dork) but with a different Front End, you must read the manual of the router since PPPoE and Wifi setup are very popular configurations.

For the Huawei access you can call 3BB, wait that some user give you the credentials or look in Google "huawei 3bb access"

I will get started on the Google search .... Thanks!

Seems where a free Wifi router use to be the norm when signing up for an internet plan that seems to be dropping by the wayside now days.

I just signed up for TRUE cable and they gave me a 4 port wifi modem/router. I have to return it when I stop service

I also have TRUE adsl and they gave me a 1 port wifi modem/router. It's mine to keep.

Both of them I use in bridge mode as you can pick up a very solid wifi router for like $20 and flash it with ddwrt.

Edited by Jayman

mmm i didn't know that.

I already have a Linksys router with DD-WRT so the free modem is enough for me...

but another question, they using the TOT line or they have they own line?

right now my home have TOT internet and phone but real we never use the phone (such a very old technology or maybe only for complain when internet not work xD)

this is the first time that I rented a home for one year so I not have any idea about this services, and really I prefer no IT guys from any companies, with me is enogh xD, I can use the existing LAN network in this home.

Hi ITGabs, as you didn't include a quote I'm not sure what you don't know, if it's about keeping the router then don't hold me to it because the sales guy (although we warned 3BB there was a farang here ) did not speak any English. My wife translated and she left out my curses about the price of the Wifi router - can get a lot better at IT city for much less money. Anyway she seemed to think he said we can keep it but she sells food, she knows nothing about IT and ISP contracts.

Hi Sysardman wink.png

Was about the free modem, and keeping the router, sorry

But now I have a better idea.

The unique thing that I still don't know is about the telephone line

Do they put a new telephone line?

My girlfriend already call to 3BB she is thai and she haves degree in IT/business with some experience, but she gets very few information all the time, she change the mod with the young, not professional or not farang people, like a very clasist girl, so all the time is disagreeable, not smile and ask very few things xD ...when we travel together the past months I get better prices/places than she speaking my bad thainglish, she only find enemyies in the reception of the hotels :/

So I prefer to have the big picture by my self and later explain everything to she and she do the rest

When I signed up for TRUE adsl they came an put in the phone line. I has both TOT and TTT before that and each had their own line. So, I've had 3 phone lines brought to my house. I think the only one I paid for was the first one that I got before I ever signed up for internet.

just fyi, I think 3BB is re-branded TTT.

Edited by Jayman

mmm i didn't know that.

I already have a Linksys router with DD-WRT so the free modem is enough for me...

but another question, they using the TOT line or they have they own line?

right now my home have TOT internet and phone but real we never use the phone (such a very old technology or maybe only for complain when internet not work xD)

this is the first time that I rented a home for one year so I not have any idea about this services, and really I prefer no IT guys from any companies, with me is enogh xD, I can use the existing LAN network in this home.

Hi ITGabs, as you didn't include a quote I'm not sure what you don't know, if it's about keeping the router then don't hold me to it because the sales guy (although we warned 3BB there was a farang here ) did not speak any English. My wife translated and she left out my curses about the price of the Wifi router - can get a lot better at IT city for much less money. Anyway she seemed to think he said we can keep it but she sells food, she knows nothing about IT and ISP contracts.

Hi Sysardman wink.png

Was about the free modem, and keeping the router, sorry

But now I have a better idea.

The unique thing that I still don't know is about the telephone line

Do they put a new telephone line?

My girlfriend already call to 3BB she is thai and she haves degree in IT/business with some experience, but she gets very few information all the time, she change the mod with the young, not professional or not farang people, like a very clasist girl, so all the time is disagreeable, not smile and ask very few things xD ...when we travel together the past months I get better prices/places than she speaking my bad thainglish, she only find enemyies in the reception of the hotels :/

So I prefer to have the big picture by my self and later explain everything to she and she do the rest

When I signed up for TRUE adsl they came an put in the phone line. I has both TOT and TTT before that and each had their own line. So, I've had 3 phone lines brought to my house. I think the only one I paid for was the first one that I got before I ever signed up for internet.

just fyi, I think 3BB is re-branded TTT.

To clarify the situation, if you go for the cheapie 3BB option the router/modem provided is ethernet only. If you are decided on using Wifi then for a few more baht they will provide a Wifi router/modem. No phone line is needed as they will install one as part of any package you sign for.

Personally I would recommend for any home network to purchase a decent wifi router. DORK has made some great suggestion in another thread on this. For me, I won't buy a router unless it can be flashed with dd-wrt or tomato. All my routers are 80211 b/g since I don't have many devices that use N. If I was in need of a new one I'd get an N one to be prepared for when I start changing my devices over to it.

Then you only need a basic1 port modem from any ISP and you will put it into bridge mode that will cause the routing function to stop and pass everything straight to your new wifi router that will handle all the NAT routing and WIFI access. The modem will only act as a modem (the way it should).

I think DORK mentioned that the ASUS are better value for hardware so I will make a note of that when in need of something new. I currency use all linksys/cisco stuff.

I brought over a linksys wrt-54g-TM from the US that I paid like $20 for. Is an outstanding modem cause it has far more memory than most of the other 54g series routers. I wish I brought over a few more. You can never have too many of these for that price.

Edited by Jayman

Personally I would recommend for any home network to purchase a decent wifi router. DORK has made some great suggestion in another thread on this. For me, I won't buy a router unless it can be flashed with dd-wrt or tomato. All my routers are 80211 b/g since I don't have many devices that use N. If I was in need of a new one I'd get an N one to be prepared for when I start changing my devices over to it.

Then you only need a basic1 port modem from any ISP and you will put it into bridge mode that will cause the routing function to stop and pass everything straight to your new wifi router that will handle all the NAT routing and WIFI access. The modem will only act as a modem (the way it should).

I think DORK mentioned that the ASUS are better value for hardware so I will make a note of that when in need of something new. I currency use all linksys/cisco stuff.

I brought over a linksys wrt-54g-TM from the US that I paid like $20 for. Is an outstanding modem cause it has far more memory than most of the other 54g series routers. I wish I brought over a few more. You can never have too many of these for that price.

I have to comment on all this rubbish being spouted here, most of us want a no fuss, simple internet connection and yet this poster is talking about a home network and then goes on to quote somebody using an office network. Why add all the complexity for no benefit, please explain.

I have to comment on all this rubbish being spouted here, most of us want a no fuss, simple internet connection and yet this poster is talking about a home network and then goes on to quote somebody using an office network. Why add all the complexity for no benefit, please explain.

The benefit is stability for your home network. If you have only 1 computer then no need for any of it. Most of the home networks we have are more than 1 computer consisting of several devices. If you don't like what I said.. then just move on. Have you even bothered reading the rest of this thread? We are not discussing a simple 1 device internet use here. What more explanation can I give you?

Edited by Jayman

I recently got 3BB. The router was only $20 or so.

They advertise 7mb/s download speed. I tested it and it is generally between 6.5 - 6.99.

TOT only promises between 3-7 for the same price.

The router cost is nothing. The only thing you should be concerned about is service which is great.

I too signed for 3BB and because my laptop is used in one place when at home and only has a 54Mb WiFi port I opted for the free 1 port ethernet router because 100Mb is faster then 54Mb. My neighbour later asked to share our internet so I said if you want to get a cheap ethernet switch and some cable then OK. We now have a little network going and both parties are very happy. If I later decide that I really, really need WiFi and it's inherent problems with walls etc then I can wait till prices for 54Mb routers hit rock bottom and buy one.

Oh now I get it... The thought of spending $20 for one is killing you. Not sure you are going to find them any more rock bottom than they are now since 54Mb routers are considered old tech.

Edited by Jayman

The benefit is stability for your home network. If you have only 1 computer then no need for any of it. Most of the home networks we have are more than 1 computer consisting of several devices. If you don't like what I said.. then just move on. Have you even bothered reading the rest of this thread? We are not discussing a simple 1 device internet use here. What more explanation can I give you?

My hat is off to guys like Jayman, Dork and others who take time to share their knowledge and experience with those of us who are otherwise somewhat clueless. Computering is technical ..... and the days of 'simplicity' are long gone. In this, the information age, one can't get enough information. wai.gif

By following this thread alone, I have learned invaluable amounts of info and have been brought 'up-to-date' in this area of the ever changing world of computing! thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Well actually I'm the one that has read the thread - where in all this did the OP ask for advice on flashing routers with DD-WRT and tomato? and using his modem/router in bridge mode etc. You guys have turned a simple question into some tech geek forum just to show off that you read IT weekly or something.

Edited by sysardman

.... The benefit is stability for your home network. If you have only 1 computer then no need for any of it. Most of the home networks we have are more than 1 computer consisting of several devices. If you don't like what I said.. then just move on. Have you even bothered reading the rest of this thread? We are not discussing a simple 1 device internet use here. What more explanation can I give you?

I had to read this thread twice. After having read it the first time, I knew I didn't understand nor could follow all of what was going on, but instead of letting it intimidate me, I sat down and looked up each acronym and term that I didn't understand and in no time at all, I understood and easily followed the discussion on my 2nd read .... I had my daughter learn along with me. Now there are 2 less (otherwise) clueless people out there. clap2.gif

Now that I do know, this thread contains an abundance of info that any basic user and especially router device buyer should know:

- For the best performance connection, internet subscribers, especially those who want a wireless connection and those using a LAN, are generally better off purchasing their own quality router.

- An added performance tip is to install the DD-WRT or Tomato (operating system) program onto the new router.

It is worth investing in a cheap little G router. The N routers are all well and good, but most people don't need them at present in Thailand. The biggest internet connections might warrant it, but us slightly more budget conscious people are happily making do with 9-10Mb. I run an Home Theatre PC serving Bluray (compressed mkv) around my house over my G router happily with 2 people watching 2 different films with no problems.

Go for a router that will take the Tomato or DD-WRT firmware upgrades and you'll find plenty of simple to follow instructions online to help you set up a well managed network. You will end up, over 2 years, paying less and getting more as you will be able to control how your data is shared with FAR greater freedom.

I'm curious to know the how, what (it is) and composition of a Home Theatre PC serving Blu-ray LAN. How do you get TVs into a computer network?

I'm curious to know the how, what (it is) and composition of a Home Theatre PC serving Blu-ray LAN. How do you get TVs into a computer network?

For the home theatre side you need a digital media server. It's basically a small little computer that has video outputs and you hook it to your lan and to your TV to stream content from the internet or to stream any of your media content to your HD TV. These are being made by everyone and their brother now. Apple has one, google has one, western digital has one, and there are now even android based one. I have a chinese made egreat NMT (network media tank) which is basically a clone of the old popcorn hour boxes (same OS).

Here are some links so you can see some different models out there

http://www.roku.com

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

http://www.ebay.com/...C-/221116833552

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1349624570

http://www.popcornho...om/onlinestore/

I should add that the Blue Ray playing is done by either ripping your Blue Ray collection to your media box to stream to your TV or to download them from the internet. MKV is a popular video container format. Most of the players will play MKV. You are looking in the box that will play the most formats (both audio and video) and will output to 1080p. Some come with storage devices built in while other you will need to buy a HD and hook it to the box by either USB or sata.

Edited by Jayman

For the home theatre side you need a digital media server. It's basically a small little computer that has video outputs and you hook it to your lan and to your TV to stream content from the internet or to stream any of your media content to your HD TV. These are being made by everyone and their brother now. Apple has one, google has one, western digital has one, and there are now even android based one. I have a chinese made egreat NMT (network media tank) which is basically a clone of the old popcorn hour boxes (same OS).

Here are some links so you can see some different models out there

http://www.roku.com

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

http://www.ebay.com/...C-/221116833552

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1349624570

http://www.popcornho...om/onlinestore/

I should add that the Blue Ray playing is done by either ripping your Blue Ray collection to your media box to stream to your TV or to download them from the internet. MKV is a popular video container format. Most of the players will play MKV. You are looking in the box that will play the most formats (both audio and video) and will output to 1080p. Some come with storage devices built in while other you will need to buy a HD and hook it to the box by either USB or sata.

This is my first insight into a whole new side of technical video.

Up until now, the extent of my video 'expertise' has been making personal copies of Blu-ray movie discs and playing them separately on my laptop and TV.

When I had a Blu-ray disc home subscription with them, I also had Netflix streaming but VuDu looks good, now!