Tourist Spots In Chiang Mai

whistleblower

Hi

its a while since I have been to Chiang Mai and I am coming up soon. I would like to revisit the following places as others are coming with me who have never been:

Cave - this is some where up a mountain, it has a long stairway up with a very ornate concrete dragon 'bannister, inside the cave are some buddha statues.

Floating restaurant - I think this was on the way to mae rim but not sure. I remember it wasnt far from a silver factory and it was on the left (heading for mae rim?)

Hot springs

Sa paper factory

Umbrella factory

If anyone can give me directions, details I would be most grateful

Thanks for that but it wasnt a temple so to speak. You had to drive up a steep hill (mountain) and it had a small car park. the caves certainly didnt go on for kilometers. It was more like just one big cave. it was only about 20baht to get into it. and it had 2 or 3 tyle style eateries there. Im thinking it was on the way to the hot springs.

But thanks for this one i will try it.

Chang Dao cave may be what you are thinking of, although in recent years they have extended the cave area for tourists. There are now half a dozen different small restaurant ringing the car park, and several vendors selling various herbal health supplements. The Hot Springs are further along the main road, turning off towards Pai and going on that road for several kilometers. There too, many changes in just the past few years. No more egg sellers so you can't cook your eggs in the main spring. You can, however, walk downstream a bit and take a dip in some cooler water.

The Sa Paper Village and Umbrella Factory are in a completely different direction. The cave and hot springs are north, and the Sa Paper Village is to the east. On the other hand, there IS a hot spring area further to the east as well, just more developed, with private rooms available for rent.

Chang Dao cave may be what you are thinking of, although in recent years they have extended the cave area for tourists. There are now half a dozen different small restaurant ringing the car park, and several vendors selling various herbal health supplements. The Hot Springs are further along the main road, turning off towards Pai and going on that road for several kilometers. There too, many changes in just the past few years. No more egg sellers so you can't cook your eggs in the main spring. You can, however, walk downstream a bit and take a dip in some cooler water.

The Sa Paper Village and Umbrella Factory are in a completely different direction. The cave and hot springs are north, and the Sa Paper Village is to the east. On the other hand, there IS a hot spring area further to the east as well, just more developed, with private rooms available for rent.

Thanks for this info i do remember in the cave there was what looked like a 'dinosaur' fossil/skeleton in the rock

Thanks for this info i do remember in the cave there was what looked like a 'dinosaur' fossil/skeleton in the rock

Do you have any road numbers or names for the above?

Do you have any road numbers or names for the above?

Samkampeng is where the hot springs were i think it was on the same road to the floating restaurant if i remember rightly, had nice gardens at the springs. the cave im on about was on that road.

Terminator is right.

The 1317 road ( straight out of the Airport/Mahidol road over Don Chan flyover) will take you on the NEW Sankamphaeneg road to the cave at Mae On/hot springs ( about 25Km) up stairs, down stairs, big Buddha statue in the bottom of the cave, just a small cafe and small car park.

For the Umbrella factory, still take the 1317 but turn off at the intersection for Bo Sang, cross the traffic lights, the factory is on the right.

The Sa paper factories are at the back of Bo Sang, take any soi to the left and just wander. There are also one or two on the 'old' road which leads back into town.

Thanks for that but it wasnt a temple so to speak. You had to drive up a steep hill (mountain) and it had a small car park. the caves certainly didnt go on for kilometers. It was more like just one big cave. it was only about 20baht to get into it. and it had 2 or 3 tyle style eateries there. Im thinking it was on the way to the hot springs.

Mae On cave.

Mae On cave.

Thanks all for your help

This one?

San Kamphaeng

See location at Google Maps: San Kamphaeng

In the Lanna period San Kamphaeng was famous for its pottery kilns; today modern kilns operate nearby. The small market town is prosperous and there are several handicraft shops. Take H1006 to the hot springs (18 km.) from the road junction in the middle of town.

stalactite.jpg

Muang On Cave

See location at Google Maps: Muang On Cave

(H1317 KM.28 west turn - 1 km.)

A narrow scaled road leads up the side of a hill to a small car park. From there you have to climb up a steep naga stairway for about 100 meters before reaching the entrance to the caves.

Make sure the lights have been switched on before descending into some big, deep caverns.

A large seated Buddha image amidst stalactites creates an impressive effect.

Edited by Chicog

This one?

San Kamphaeng

See location at Google Maps: San Kamphaeng

In the Lanna period San Kamphaeng was famous for its pottery kilns; today modern kilns operate nearby. The small market town is prosperous and there are several handicraft shops. Take H1006 to the hot springs (18 km.) from the road junction in the middle of town.

stalactite.jpg

Muang On Cave

See location at Google Maps: Muang On Cave

(H1317 KM.28 west turn - 1 km.)

A narrow scaled road leads up the side of a hill to a small car park. From there you have to climb up a steep naga stairway for about 100 meters before reaching the entrance to the caves.

Make sure the lights have been switched on before descending into some big, deep caverns.

A large seated Buddha image amidst stalactites creates an impressive effect.

Thats the baby!! thanks for that