Yongyuth Denies Rumours Of Conflicts Between Govt, Bangkok Over Drainage Tests

webfact

Yongyuth denies rumours of conflicts between govt, BMA over drainage tests

Jutarun Tipnampa,

Thanatpong Kongsai

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit yesterday dismissed rumours that the government and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) were fighting over the upcoming water-drainage tests in the capital.

"No, we are not in opposing camps. We are on the same side because we are both working for the people," he said. The BMA comes under his ministry's jurisdiction.

Yongyuth was speaking at a press conference at which Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra was also present. The meeting was held one day after the BMA and the government released differing information about the September 5-7 water-drainage tests in the capital.

"The government and BMA don't have opposing opinions, it's just that some concerns have been expressed," Yongyuth said.

Sukhumbhand, meanwhile, said his agency was ready to provide support to the government, just like it did during last year's flood crisis.

"I understand why the tests need to be conducted, but I'm just worried about forecasts that say Bangkok will be hit by unusually heavy rainfall in September," he said.

Sukhumbhand added that it was necessary for the BMA to talk about the yet to be completed dredging of Lat Phrao and Bang Sue canals - projects supervised by the Science Ministry.

"I am not speaking for political reasons, but it is my duty to present this information otherwise I could be held responsible," he said.

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee, who chairs the government-appointed Water and Flood Management Committee (WFMC), said the dredging of the Lat Phrao Canal had been delayed because locals were putting up a fight. "In some places, the canal bank has been encroached upon. But the operation has started moving ahead after we called on the Army to help," he said, adding that the dredging of the canal was now more than 50 per cent complete.

"It should be able to pass the test. Just six cubic metres of water per second will be released to flow through the canal on September 7, when in fact the canal is able to accommodate up to 20 cubic metres per second," he said, adding that the tests would be called off if it starts raining.

Army deputy spokeswoman Colonel Sirijan Nga-thong said that in May, soldiers had dredged 277 canals in Bangkok to boost their capacity. "We will work closely with relevant authorities and communities to help them understand the need for these tests," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-01

"It should be able to pass the test. Just six cubic metres of water per second will be released to flow through the canal on September 7, when in fact the canal is able to accommodate up to 20 cubic metres per second," he said, adding that the tests would be called off if it starts raining.

tests would be called off if it starts raining

MoSc Plodprasop really has a nice sense of humour, now doesn't he :-)

Why is the Science Ministry supervising dredging projects? Are they using boat propellers to wash the mud away?

Because they won the contract for those particular Klong no doubt.

Ministries bid for project contracts? When will the Health Ministry be supervising their next road project?

I REPEAT, we are not in conflict with each other, we are not in conflict with each other, WE are only at ODDS with reach other; and there is a

major difference between the 2. Holy Mother of Buddha...We Flat Out Deny Everything that is Deniable. So let that Gray area of Truth

be Denied. coffee1.gif

In addition to that, we are NOT Responsible; for these Rumors!coffee1.gifermm.gifsad.pngbah.gifwai.gif