Foreigner And Medical Care In Thailand.

MorkCNX

I'm just wondering about foreigner living in Thailand and the medical bill. I know that all foreigner needs to pay for their own medical care. For Thai people they do have social service to take care of the bill if they cant afford it. But what will happen if foreigner who is living here that can not afford the medical bill and got no relatives??

I use both the Thai government hospitals and private.

I have been part of the Thai 30 baht/free health care for 3yrs now.

Dental is great hospital is hit and miss depending on Doctors

Private has always been good,

I do stay away from the big names as they only bring big bills and huge complaints.

Are you married?

Bring your wife with you to your local hospital and get signed up for the 30baht line up.

Can't remember what all I needed but I know it took ten minutes and did it without the wife, but most people at the hospital did know me.

I'm sure someone on here will sort you with what papers you will need to apply for government 30bht plan.

Thank you for your reply. It's not for me but I'm just wondering cause I'm sure there must be a case of some foreigner that got very sick and can not take care of them self. I asked many people but no one could give me any answer not even the hospital.

Edited by MorkCNX

It's nice that you think ahead and hopefully formulate some plans from advices contributed and to be contributed by the forum members.

For a foreigner without insurance, with not much money, and having no relatives and friends close by, the result can be quite tragic. Hope you find a way to circumvent it.

Good luck.

OP, what sort of visa do you have? Tourist? Retired? Educational? And so on. Are you 50 years of age or older?

Do you have relatives abroad?

I gather from Post #2 above that, if you are married to a Thai citizen,you can register for the government health plan,but not knowledgeable about that.

Edited by Mapguy

I've had some experience with this subject.

First, I'm not aware of any program where a foreigner can sign onto the 30 baht medical scheme simply by being married to a Thai. It may be possible to utilize a Thai wife's insurance if she has private insurance thru her employer.

Foreigners can join the 30 baht plan if they are employed in certain jobs -- like teaching at a government school. They can continue to be part of the plan after they cease employment simply by paying a small monthly fee. But, there are age restrictions and someone should be very careful about accepting a job and planning to work just the minimum length of time to get into the plan and then quiting. I know one woman who worked a year at a government university, hating every moment, just to get into the plan. After she quit, she found she was a few weeks short of being able to buy into the plan for the rest of her life and now was over the age limit to be rehired.

The services provided under the 30 baht plan are pretty basic, with long waits to see doctors. If hospitalized, you'll be in an unairconditioned ward with many patients. Any medicines not on the "government list" are extra and that includes many of the newest antibiotics used to fight resistant infections. A few days in ICU with an IV drip of an exotic antibiotic can produce huge bills, even at a government hospital.

The private hospitals have no obligation to treat anyone who says they can't pay their bill. If someone who claims poverty is brought to their emergency room, they'll do the bare minimum needed to stabilize the patient and then bundle him off to the government hospital, usually Suan Dok, here in Chiang Mai.

Sometimes people do end up in the private hospitals unable to pay the bill. They're permitted admission because they've had treatment there before, have a few credit cards in their wallet, have friends with them at the time of admissions, etc. Incidentally, despite a common myth, you're not obligated to pay for someone's medical treatment if you bring them to the hospital. The private hospitals will create the impression you are and try to get you to sign a form to that effect, but don't. Simply say you're doing a sick friend a favor and it was his idea to come to this private hospital.

If admitted to a private hospital, the English-language social worker (really English language bill collector) will work very hard to obtain a deposit, usually half the amount of the total anticipated bill, before treatment beyond stabilization continues. No deposit -- the patient is transferred to the government hospital. The private hospitals usually are willing to work out payment plans for the remaining half of the bill. Something like payment over 3 - 6 months. During that time, they hold the patient's passport. Don't worry -- they take care of visa maintenance -- they don't want their debtors on overstay.

If someone is in the government hospital, that hospital has a "human rights obligation" to provide care, regardless of ability to pay. They don't hold passports, either. But, they will provide very basic care, such as immobilizing a fracture with 8 weeks of bedrest in hospital vs. doing orthopedic surgery that involves expensive imported plates and screws but gets the patient up and walking in a couple weeks. Also, once someone without money is deemed to be stable, they are discharged, even if they have no place to go or no one to take care of them.

Suan Dok always gets the foreigner's consulate or embassy involved in cases where a hospitalized patient has no money. Also, they involve Immigration if the patient is on overstay or appears to have fradulently claimed sufficient income for a retirement visa. Suan Dok responds very well to poor foreigners who manage to make some sort of deposit, sign a promise and then actually return every month to make a payment on their bill -- even if it's just 5000 baht a month. Otherwise, it's going to be very difficult for someone to seek treatment again if they have an outstanding bill they refuse to pay.

For more information about this important topic check out www.LannaCareNet.org

Very interesting and informative post. I would like to add a few personal comments. My wife a Thai developed breast cancer 18 months ago. At the time we were living in Phitsanulok. She found a lump in her breast then went to a private hospital for a mammogram. She then had a consultation with an oncologist at the private hospital. He told her that it was very likely she had breast cancer but a biopsy would confirm if his thoughts were correct. Now here is the interesting part.He told her to go to the public hospital and he would look after her there. He said if she remained a patient at the private hospital the final cost could be extremely high. She went to the public hospital had the operation to remove her breast. We opted for a private room for her at a cost of 2000 bahts a day. That was the only out of pocket expense we have incurred. She had 8 rounds of chemotherapy, 22 radiation treatments and goodness knows how many different types of drugs taken orally. Many appointments with various types of doctors. She has never had to wait extremely long for any of her doctors appointments. Today she appears to be cancer free. As a former member of the medical profession I would like to say quality of care here is on par with the majority of hospitals in the U.S.A. and Canada.
  • Like 1

I agree, the quality of the medical care I've seen at Suan Dok appears to be good and they have some state-of-the-art equipment not available at other hospitals in town. It's just that they don't do anything "extra" for a foreigner who hasn't made a deposit. Also, the wards are crowded, few staff members speak English (the doctors do, but you only see them for a few minutes daily) and the food is pretty basic. So while the accomodations don't appear to be up to western standards, the medical care is.

first i have ever heard of a foreigner being able to access the 30 baht program just because he has the correct visa and is married to a Thai... would be very interested in a more knowledgeable answer.

I was issued a 30bht card at the same time as getting my yellow taabian baan, the house book for foreigners.

Gets me treatment should I need or want it at my local Govt hospital.

first i have ever heard of a foreigner being able to access the 30 baht program just because he has the correct visa and is married to a Thai... would be very interested in a more knowledgeable answer.

I was issued a 30bht card at the same time as getting my yellow taabian baan, the house book for foreigners.

well, mom always said any day that i learn something new is a good day. So thanks for making my day. I will have to get the wife over to the amphur and look into their particular qualifications and follow up.

Yes, this is news to me also. Have you actually tried to use the card, Apetley and how was the care?

I've been involved in several cases of foreigners in Suan Dok who were married to Thais and had problems paying their bills. They had homes and businesses. I would have thought the English-language social worker at Suan Dok would simply have asked the Thai wife for their husband's 30 baht card.

last month the home owners (we rent) offered my wife to move her house card here from Nakhon Sawan. She went to Sansai amphur and while processing her paper work with the house owner present, she casually asked about a card for her husband (me). They started rattling off about residency and my wife tuned out - thinking that they meant permanent residency. She had done all US stuff, gotten permanent residency and citizenship, so all she thought of was mountain of paperwork, me learning Thai etc...

However, if it is indeed the case that all i need is "residency" as in rental contract and/or certificate from Immigration... then we will pursue the matter. She will be going to amphur next week to delve into the topic more deeply.

last month the home owners (we rent) offered my wife to move her house card here from Nakhon Sawan. She went to Sansai amphur and while processing her paper work with the house owner present, she casually asked about a card for her husband (me). They started rattling off about residency and my wife tuned out - thinking that they meant permanent residency. She had done all US stuff, gotten permanent residency and citizenship, so all she thought of was mountain of paperwork, me learning Thai etc...

However, if it is indeed the case that all i need is "residency" as in rental contract and/or certificate from Immigration... then we will pursue the matter. She will be going to amphur next week to delve into the topic more deeply.

Would be very helpful to get an accurate and complete account noting procedures, forms, et cetera, if you have the time. This could be significant for a lot of foreigners.

I have used my 30bht gold many times.

For hospital and dental.

Never asked to pay.

This is good news, Bpraim1. Could you please share a few more details like:

Are you a permanent resident or have a non-immigrant visa that you extend yearly (i.e. a "retirement" or "marriage" visa)

Have you worked in Thailand? If so, do you continue to pay into the Social Security system?

Are you listed on a yellow book or blue book?

Where did you "sign up" for the card?

Can you go to any government hospital you'd like for service or are you limited to a specific hospital which can give you a referral to another hospital if they can't provide the service needed?

Have you used the card at more than one hospital?

How long have you been using the 30 baht card?

Thanks for this great news that could really help to improve the lives of many foreigners!

All excellent questions I hope an answer is forthcoming.
  • Like 1

Yes, this is news to me also. Have you actually tried to use the card, Apetley and how was the care?

I've been involved in several cases of foreigners in Suan Dok who were married to Thais and had problems paying their bills. They had homes and businesses. I would have thought the English-language social worker at Suan Dok would simply have asked the Thai wife for their husband's 30 baht card.

I usually use a private hospital but have used the card twice for an injury that meant I was unable to make it to my usual hospital and wifey suggested the local Govt one.

Service was first class imo and didn't have to pay.

I am here in Thailand on a multi entry non-o.

For hospital and dental.

Never asked to pay.

Are you a permanent resident or have a non-immigrant visa that you extend yearly (i.e. a "retirement" or "marriage" visa)

Have you worked in Thailand? If so, do you continue to pay into the Social Security system?

Can you go to any government hospital you'd like for service or are you limited to a specific hospital which can give you a referral to another hospital if they can't provide the service needed?

Thanks for this great news that could really help to improve the lives of many foreigners!

I asked about referral up the chain of hospitals.

The answer I got was first go to your local hospital. If they cannot treat me I would then go to the nearby city. If they were unable to treat then maybe referred on to Bangkok.

However I would add that my experience so far is only treatment as an outpatient.

After seeing Thai friends in a Govt ward I would make sure I had funds for at least a private room as there was literally no space between the patient beds.

I emailed Sheryl, the all-knowing moderator of Thai Visa's health forum about the question of whether foreigners can get free treatment at government hospitals. Here, with her permission are exerpts of the emails she sent:

"There have been threads on this in the health forum several times. The problem is that people don't like what they hear.

Being married to a Thai does not qualify someone.

Permanent residency might or might not -- I have wondered about that and never seen an answer, I'm not sure the issue is even addressed in writing anywhere. The best thing to do is to call the NHSO directly and ask. It is clear that the scheme is intended only for Thai citizens, what is unclear is the degree to which permanent residency confers the same rights as a citizen. I suspect not (I don't think permanent residents can vote, can they? Citizenship is one thing, permanent residency another), but it is admittedly a grey area and best to call NHSO to be sure). NHSO Call center # is 1330, if that doesn't yield a clear answer then the main office is 02-141-4000/4025

Those who are qualified are indeed limited in where they can go and would need to be referred from their nearest provincial hospital to a place like Siriraj, and there are indications and rules regarding such referrals, it is not on demand.

Apparently some upcountry hospitals have mistakenly enrolled foreigners on the basis of a tabian baan, and this has fueled the confusion. This is an error on the part of those hospitals, and it gets found out if and when the person needs to be referred to a higher level of care.

The cover that many foreigners can get is not the "30 baht scheme" but rather the Social Security scheme, which is for people working in the formal sector and financed through payroll tax deductions. Anyone who has legally worked in Thailand will have been covered while employed and once someone is covered, they can maintain it for life just by paying a small amount monthly. Unfortunately many people do not know this and let it lapse. AFAIK there is no way then to get back into the system except to again be legally employed. This system requires that one select a hospital and register there, and cover is then limited to that place unless there is justification for referral "

I asked her for clarification about how long someone would have to work to be able to continue to buy into the Social Security scheme after quitting and she replied:

"I believe one has to be employed for a full year.

I think there is already a pinned notice in the CM forum about health care that may also stress the need for insurance. It never fails to astound me how many foreigners settle here without insurance, and I've seen some awful messes result (probably so have you)."

Yes, indeed, I have seen some "awful messes" for foreigners without health insurance here. It is something that should be purchased as soon as you arrive, when you're still fairly young and healthy, so you can wait out the normal 2-5 year restriction on excluding pre-existing conditions. It can be affordable with a high deductable. Yes, I know people say medical care here is cheap, so I'll just self-insure. That's fine if you're prepared to pay 300,000 baht plus several times during the course of your life and have that money available as soon as you arrive.

Recently, the social worker at Suan Dok hospital showed me one year's data of unpaid hospital bills from foreigners at his hospital. At least 8 cases were over 300,000 baht and a couple were over 500,000 baht. And that's the cheapest, good hospital in Chiang Mai. It could be double that amount for similar services at a more comfortable private hospital. Many of the unpaid bills were 50,000 - 150,000 baht.

Many thanks, Sheryl! The Thai Visa health forums are excellent and benefit greatly from her expertise. Check them out if you haven't already.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

For hospital and dental.

Never asked to pay.

+2

For hospital and dental.

Never asked to pay.

+2

+3

I emailed Sheryl, the all-knowing moderator of Thai Visa's health forum about the question of whether foreigners can get free treatment at government hospitals. Here, with her permission are exerpts of the emails she sent:

"There have been threads on this in the health forum several times. The problem is that people don't like what they hear.

Being married to a Thai does not qualify someone.

Permanent residency might or might not -- I have wondered about that and never seen an answer, I'm not sure the issue is even addressed in writing anywhere. The best thing to do is to call the NHSO directly and ask. It is clear that the scheme is intended only for Thai citizens, what is unclear is the degree to which permanent residency confers the same rights as a citizen. I suspect not (I don't think permanent residents can vote, can they? Citizenship is one thing, permanent residency another), but it is admittedly a grey area and best to call NHSO to be sure). NHSO Call center # is 1330, if that doesn't yield a clear answer then the main office is 02-141-4000/4025

Those who are qualified are indeed limited in where they can go and would need to be referred from their nearest provincial hospital to a place like Siriraj, and there are indications and rules regarding such referrals, it is not on demand.

Apparently some upcountry hospitals have mistakenly enrolled foreigners on the basis of a tabian baan, and this has fueled the confusion. This is an error on the part of those hospitals, and it gets found out if and when the person needs to be referred to a higher level of care.

The cover that many foreigners can get is not the "30 baht scheme" but rather the Social Security scheme, which is for people working in the formal sector and financed through payroll tax deductions. Anyone who has legally worked in Thailand will have been covered while employed and once someone is covered, they can maintain it for life just by paying a small amount monthly. Unfortunately many people do not know this and let it lapse. AFAIK there is no way then to get back into the system except to again be legally employed. This system requires that one select a hospital and register there, and cover is then limited to that place unless there is justification for referral "

I asked her for clarification about how long someone would have to work to be able to continue to buy into the Social Security scheme after quitting and she replied:

"I believe one has to be employed for a full year.

I think there is already a pinned notice in the CM forum about health care that may also stress the need for insurance. It never fails to astound me how many foreigners settle here without insurance, and I've seen some awful messes result (probably so have you)."

Yes, indeed, I have seen some "awful messes" for foreigners without health insurance here. It is something that should be purchased as soon as you arrive, when you're still fairly young and healthy, so you can wait out the normal 2-5 year restriction on excluding pre-existing conditions. It can be affordable with a high deductable. Yes, I know people say medical care here is cheap, so I'll just self-insure. That's fine if you're prepared to pay 300,000 baht plus several times during the course of your life and have that money available as soon as you arrive.

Recently, the social worker at Suan Dok hospital showed me one year's data of unpaid hospital bills from foreigners at his hospital. At least 8 cases were over 300,000 baht and a couple were over 500,000 baht. And that's the cheapest, good hospital in Chiang Mai. It could be double that amount for similar services at a more comfortable private hospital. Many of the unpaid bills were 50,000 - 150,000 baht.

Many thanks, Sheryl! The Thai Visa health forums are excellent and benefit greatly from her expertise. Check them out if you haven't already.

Does this mean (to try and put it simply)...that unless you received your thai 30 baht plan coverage thru a JOB (and possibly continued paying for it after leaving employment)... but if you got it because you (say) simply went with a yellow house reg to the amphour and got admitted to the plan.... could you possibly be 1) denied the hospital care or 2) be asked to pay for hospital care previously received under "false" pretenses?

so confused at this point.

zippy

the "30-baht scheme" for all Thai nationals is different than being covered under the Social Security program because of employment. A foreigner must work at least a year in Thailand in a job that pays into the Social Security program and THEN continue to pay a small monthly payment to continue to participate in Social Security after no longer working.

As I understand what Sheryl is saying, is that if someone has managed to obtain free care because of the being married to a Thai and isn't a part of the Social Security plan, then that foreigner is going to be denied care if the local hospital has to refer the case to a higher level hospital. I doubt the local hospital is going to ask to be repaid for previous services. But, if someone is a patient at that hospital and is running up large charges, it's possible that some higher-level administrator could start asking why the hospital is giving free care to a foreigner who isn't part of the Social Security plan.

I am here on a Non O marriage visa, I have a yellow book, I don't work here.

I had a normal blue/white card from the hospital, then a friend said that his hospital gave him a 30bht gold card.

So I went to my hospital and asked the lady up front and she sent me to the back admin office, 10min later all done.

I'm in Sisaket Province. Local hospital is not all that bad, yes there is a que to get into, but every country has them.

I also use private hospitals when I feel I want a more educated guess, as My local hospital is mostly trainees.

Drugs and service I feel are right on track with any private hospital, just a hell of a lot cheaper.

All sounds very confused and typically Thai with different answers coming in from different directions.

Just to add to it all if you are married to a Thai Goverment employee then you can also join the 30 baht scheme because part of her employement package is that her spouse has "free" health care as does she.

Edited by SamSipEt

I am here on a Non O marriage visa, I have a yellow book, I don't work here.

I had a normal blue/white card from the hospital, then a friend said that his hospital gave him a 30bht gold card.

So I went to my hospital and asked the lady up front and she sent me to the back admin office, 10min later all done.

I'm in Sisaket Province. Local hospital is not all that bad, yes there is a que to get into, but every country has them.

I also use private hospitals when I feel I want a more educated guess, as My local hospital is mostly trainees.

Drugs and service I feel are right on track with any private hospital, just a hell of a lot cheaper.

Bpraim -- basically you've been very fortunate to obtain the 30baht gold card.

However, it isn't something that a foreigner will automatically receive as a "right" in every province. Resident foreigners really need to plan how they will pay for medical care and counting on the 30 baht card working throughout Thailand at every level of government hospital isn't a good plan.

Incidentally, Sheryl's explanation helps to explain some situations I've encountered at Suan Dok hospital -- where a foreigner is showing the 30 baht card and doesn't understand why Suan Dok won't give them free medical care. In these cases, the foreigner left in a huff, saying they were going back to the local hospital that gave them the 30 baht card. Fortunately, they were in a condition to travel. Seen it happen more than once.

Thanks to the OP for starting this very useful Topic--and huge thanks to NancyL, Sheryl and all others for giving us the lowdown--I have recently insured my daughter with Private Health cover and now need to get myself sorted--sure as heck will be needing cover someday [ and I am definitely far from rich enough to pay should things get nasty]

All sounds very confused and typically Thai with different answers coming in from different directions.

Just to add to it all if you are married to a Thai Goverment employee then you can also join the 30 baht scheme because part of her employement package is that her spouse has "free" health care as does she.

Well...yes and there are options too. GF's brother is an officer in the government (although he works in private sector to confuse things more). He has his mother on the plan with him although they don't use government hospitals. He opted for a higher deduction from his government salary to use Sripat. So nothing is black and white here.