Euthanasia

kennedy

Spent last night watching my little buddy going through absolute hell before he died.Wife told me that we would go to jail if we got caught putting him down.One more dog left.Told the wife, no more pets.Anyone else gone through this BS?

• Like 1

Absolutely! After my dog (Buddy) of 15 years died I was devastated. He didn't suffer much fortunately, he had a heart attack , but the vet in Australia stll gave him a lethal injection. I bawled like a baby I'm not ashamed to admit. His loss was more painful than any broken relationship I've ever had. I've never had another pet since, couldn't stand that loss again.

My sympathies BTW, I know what you are going through.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

Sad to hear about your loss. Ofcourse you will not be punished for letting him out of his misery. Difficult to find a vet, who wants to do it, put normally they will supply you with a bottle of Nimbuthal, so you can do it yourself.

• Like 1

Sad to hear about your loss. Ofcourse you will not be punished for letting him out of his misery. Difficult to find a vet, who wants to do it, put normally they will supply you with a bottle of Nimbuthal, so you can do it yourself.

Also handy if you want to take that painless exit yourself.

Also handy if you want to take that painless exit yourself.

I see you remember my old thread. And no, I am not an agent for Nimbuthal sick.gif

I had a stray cat turn up that was very sick, I took him to my vet and asked for him to be put to sleep. She said she had to know in her own mind it was the right decision. We agreed to leave him there. I called in the next day and she agreed putting him to sleep was best, under one condition, I was to bring him home and bury him. I'm not sure how they disposed of deceased animals but she didn't want it.

All jokes aside, this is a really tough one. I've always had cats, and over the years have learned when they've reached a terminal condition. In Thailand, I've not yet found a vet who would take the responsibility for easing the animal through that end stage. As far as I've been able to learn, it's to do with the whole karma thing - in other words, superstition overrules compassion.

I now remember animals that I took to the vet back in the west. Well qualified vets gave the head shake, and the reluctant verdict that there was nothing left to be done. I'd hold the cat on my lap when the injection was administered - just hold it, and it slipped away painlessly and without any struggle.

I still grieved and felt totally miserable when I took it home for burial, shed tears even, but knew in my mind that my friend had nothing else to expect, except further pain and yet more loss of life quality. I always swear that I'll never have another - but somehow, from somewhere, one turns up.

Which, of course, brings us on to the question of euthanasia for the terminally ill. Me, I'd want to be released from incurable mental and physical distress. How should that be determined? I don't have an answer, but I'd hope that someone I loved and trusted would have the love and compassion to release me.

Hopefully, not just yet though.......

• Like 2

just had a kitten mauled (killed) by the neighbors dogs who dig under the gate.

now it's time to protect the others and the mother.

I won't kill the dog, just make him wish he were dead. gonna hurt him real bad next time. gonna slice on that bastard.

I won't kill the dog, just make him wish he were dead. gonna hurt him real bad next time. gonna slice on that bastard.

GREAT to see you are attempting to exercise the noble principles of Buddhism in your daily life . . . . . . .

Please bear in mind that, at some point, whatever you inflict on others, may well be inflicted upon you . . . . . .

Why not try and find a more peaceful and intelligent solution to safeguard the life & limb of your beloved cat ? ?

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

Absolutely! After my dog (Buddy) of 15 years died I was devastated. He didn't suffer much fortunately, he had a heart attack , but the vet in Australia stll gave him a lethal injection. I bawled like a baby I'm not ashamed to admit. His loss was more painful than any broken relationship I've ever had. I've never had another pet since, couldn't stand that loss again.

My sympathies BTW, I know what you are going through.

Tell me if THIS also happened to you: after the demise of your beloved dog; everytime you paid attention to, or petted another dog, did you feel a sense of "guilt" ? ? Like 'cheating-on-your-own dog' ? ? ?

I had that strange sensation for the longest time, after our Foxy passed-away . . . . .

Yep; I know exactly how this feels; it's horrible !

Wishing you strength in coping with your loss, mate ! ! !

thumbsup.gif

my only wish is i go before my beloved i know i wont be able to handle it,already sorted the vet if the worst ever arrives.a mans best friend is always his dog.i can and i cant imagine what it is to lose a loyal mate who would put his own life in danger to save yours.r.i.p.little buddy.

• Like 1

Far better to have a word with your neighbours to stop the dog getting out. It is the neighbours fault, not the dog's.

• Like 1

It takes time, but you need to find a good vet that really cares for animals. These caring vets will put an obviously suffering, incurable animal to sleep, painlessly and peacefully.

I'm so sorry about your loss OP, but your wife was talking BS and you need to talk to your friends. I'm sure one of them will know a vet that will allow a much-loved (but suffering and incurable) pet to be euthanised.

Why not try and find a more peaceful and intelligent solution to safeguard the life & limb of your beloved cat ? ?

As well as your own "life and limb" if your neighbour finds out that you have done anything to deliberately harm his dog.

it is a bit wierd, the thai thing about not euthenizing.have had many fights with thais about that, even way back when i was running petting zoo.

now, i just inherited a flock of thai fighting chickens (roosters and hens) from a thai that has gone back to thaialnd... he owed us money so we got his thai chickens. anyhow, we had to place them in an old out of use chicken coop in an other village, kibbutz backyards not made for keeping flocks of roosting chickens.

turns out one hen is blind. but she has made it this far due to dilegance of her thai owner who made sure she got food and water daily. well, in the large coop run, she wasnt making it. gettign beaten up by others, and couldnt find the water and food stations even though we introduced all the flock to their new surroundings, including water/meal.

so we now have a blind hen and another cock in back yardmini coop cause husband says hen cant be alone (true ) and hubby wont turn her in to chicken soup (although he knows how to slaughter chickens. he just wont do it unless it is to eat her, but not as a 'mercy killing'. and he wont eat her as he has been hand feeding her. i personally probably woudnt have had kept her from a chick, but 'put her out' at a very early stage.