Claim That Apple Computer Has Deceived Its Customers

midas

I guess the issue comes down to who pattented the design and name first. If LG didn't, big mistake.

The LG tablet apparently didn't go to market, even in South Korea, so it appears it was a design study.

When the iPad came out, it was panned by a lot of people, but Apple stuck with it. Now it is the standard which other tablets are measured.

I guess the issue comes down to who pattented the design and name first. If LG didn't, big mistake.

The LG tablet apparently didn't go to market, even in South Korea, so it appears it was a design study.

When the iPad came out, it was panned by a lot of people, but Apple stuck with it. Now it is the standard which other tablets are measured.

There are two things - the first is that the US patent system is (at least at present) based on "first to invent" rather than first to file. The other is that one of the fundamental requirements for getting a patent is novelty - so demonstrating that the idea you have patented existed before you claim to have invented it is grounds for getting the patent invalidated.

The larger issue is that the US patent system is horribly broken - a great example of this that that Research in Motion were forced to pay $600m for "infringing" a patent at a point in time where the USPTO had already stated they were going to invalidate it on the basis of prior art. The idea that a patent should be "non-obvious" also appears to have been lost somewhere along the way.

I just can't wait to buy the next iMac2012, ( hopefully within a month) sorry. My existing one is 5 years old, still going strong but not up to coping with modern NLE editing programmes. I just love how Macs 'just work' You boycott them if you like,

+1

Regards

• Like 1

I just can't wait to buy the next iMac2012, ( hopefully within a month) sorry. My existing one is 5 years old, still going strong but not up to coping with modern NLE editing programmes. I just love how Macs 'just work' You boycott them if you like,

+1

Regards

I'm sure you both also like the tax man.

There are two things - the first is that the US patent system is (at least at present) based on "first to invent" rather than first to file. The other is that one of the fundamental requirements for getting a patent is novelty - so demonstrating that the idea you have patented existed before you claim to have invented it is grounds for getting the patent invalidated.

The larger issue is that the US patent system is horribly broken - a great example of this that that Research in Motion were forced to pay $600m for "infringing" a patent at a point in time where the USPTO had already stated they were going to invalidate it on the basis of prior art. The idea that a patent should be "non-obvious" also appears to have been lost somewhere along the way.

Sorry, not quite right, from the USPTO.gov:

If the inventor describes the invention in a printed publication or uses the invention publicly, or places it on sale, he/she must apply for a patent before one year has gone by, otherwise any right to a patent will be lost. The inventor must file on the date of public use or disclosure, however, in order to preserve patent rights in many foreign countries.

So if LG didn't patent it, they lose. There is the case of the guy who patented the wheel, he holds the patent, but since the wheel is in the public domain, there isn't any claim to "license" it's use.

Yes, I'll agree, the USPTO is broken, just like many of the overbloated government agencies around the world.

Is that why apple support is not a free included service with your purchase? Because the products "just work"?

If I had a nickle for every time an Apple user has asked me for support help on their device...... I might be able to buy a share of APPL.

Is that why apple support is not a free included service with your purchase? Because the products "just work"?

If I had a nickle for every time an Apple user has asked me for support help on their device...... I might be able to buy a share of APPL.

I believe you are mistaken on this point. Apple offers an additional extended AppleCare support. Extended meaning it extends beyond what comes with their products which is typically 1 year.

I own a macbook currently and have had other Apple devices over the years as well as other PCs and android devices. I have had problems with all of them. None are without their flaws. I say whatever works for you, use it. I think some of the claims Apple are making are perhaps a tad ridiculous but I think it's undeniable that smartphones in both function and design took a rapid change of course after the iPhone was in users' hands. And yes, many look very very similar to the iPhone. Whether patents were broken, I'll leave that for the legal teams to wrangle over. I can hardly fault them for trying to protect their interests.

As for the whole Apple stole from Xerox thing that is repeated time and time again...mostly fabrication. Xerox was financially compensated for the use of the things Apple supposedly stole, not in some lawsuit after the fact, but in an arrangement reached before Apple produced them for public sale.

+1

Regards

I'm sure you both also like the tax man.

Can't understand the connection, sorry I must be thick

But it is for 90 days. And yes 'they just work'. Over 5 years far fewer problems on the mac than with my wife's PCs. ( Just guessing but if you had had a nickel for every time someone asked you for help with a PC maybe you would be up with Warren Buffet now?)

Edited by msg362

( Just guessing but if you had had a nickel for every time someone asked you for help with a PC maybe you would be up with Warren Buffet now?)

Wouldn't happen to be due to the ratio of the number of PCs out there versus Apple would it? wink.png Also, to compare apples to apples, so to speak, then one would need to compare specific PC companies as Apple is one company. Some may have higher or equal reliability to Apple's some less.

( Just guessing but if you had had a nickel for every time someone asked you for help with a PC maybe you would be up with Warren Buffet now?)

Wouldn't happen to be due to the ratio of the number of PCs out there versus Apple would it? wink.png Also, to compare apples to apples, so to speak, then one would need to compare specific PC companies as Apple is one company. Some may have higher or equal reliability to Apple's some less.

Of course it does, just teasing!!!!biggrin.png

I believe you are mistaken on this point. Apple offers an additional extended AppleCare support. Extended meaning it extends beyond what comes with their products which is typically 1 year.

I own a macbook currently and have had other Apple devices over the years as well as other PCs and android devices. I have had problems with all of them. None are without their flaws. I say whatever works for you, use it. I think some of the claims Apple are making are perhaps a tad ridiculous but I think it's undeniable that smartphones in both function and design took a rapid change of course after the iPhone was in users' hands. And yes, many look very very similar to the iPhone. Whether patents were broken, I'll leave that for the legal teams to wrangle over. I can hardly fault them for trying to protect their interests.

As for the whole Apple stole from Xerox thing that is repeated time and time again...mostly fabrication. Xerox was financially compensated for the use of the things Apple supposedly stole, not in some lawsuit after the fact, but in an arrangement reached before Apple produced them for public sale.

Well if the film about it is correct they paid $1 for the lot. is that financial compensation where your from?

Oh and yes the Xerox management were dumb

Well if the film about it is correct they paid $1 for the lot. is that financial compensation where your from?

I'm not sure which film you are referring to. But I agree, they were dumb. But so were most large corporations at that time when the idea of personal computing just didn't seem to make any sense to them.

I don't know where the $1 figure is from. They were given the option to purchase 100,000 shares of Pre-IPO stock in Apple at $1,000,000. As far as how they chose to exercise that right I confess I don't know. But assuming they were not dumb enough to pass on the offer (and that may be a big assumption) we know it was one of the biggest money raising IPOs in history with the stock prices ending at $29 each on the first day and the stocks of course went up and split several times afterwards. Granted, Apple may not have handed Xerox money directly I think it was a shrewd business decision on the part of Apple and at no point was it ever "stealing" as so many Apple haters contend. The fact is, even if they HAD paid $1 it wasn't stealing which was my point. The link by the OP was just rehash of the same misinformation that has been repeated for years probably largely due to people taking movies like "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" as truth. I admit, I do like that movie but it is what it is. Xerox and Apple had an agreement.

Edited by SlideRiceFC

Mac is the easiest thing to use if you do not have good computer skills or you do graphic design or video editing but over all it is not a good product but it sure is pretty, not quite sure how a mouse with only one button works though seems like you're missing out on a lot of options with that flaw alone.

You could always just run Linux on your old Mac, in fact Mac OS X is Linux copied poorly by Apple. I would never personally own any product from Apple simply based on the human suffering they have caused and continue to cause not to mention they lie about everything including what they did not invent like rounded corners and flat, soon they are going to try to patent the "square" and say they invented it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure which film you are referring to. But I agree, they were dumb. But so were most large corporations at that time when the idea of personal computing just didn't seem to make any sense to them.

I don't know where the $1 figure is from. They were given the option to purchase 100,000 shares of Pre-IPO stock in Apple at $1,000,000. As far as how they chose to exercise that right I confess I don't know. But assuming they were not dumb enough to pass on the offer (and that may be a big assumption) we know it was one of the biggest money raising IPOs in history with the stock prices ending at $29 each on the first day and the stocks of course went up and split several times afterwards. Granted, Apple may not have handed Xerox money directly I think it was a shrewd business decision on the part of Apple and at no point was it ever "stealing" as so many Apple haters contend. The fact is, even if they HAD paid $1 it wasn't stealing which was my point. The link by the OP was just rehash of the same misinformation that has been repeated for years probably largely due to people taking movies like "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" as truth. I admit, I do like that movie but it is what it is. Xerox and Apple had an agreement.

that's the film i was talking about.. so it is untrue?

So they offered Xerox a deal that Xerox had to BUY stock in Apple....ummmm thats not paying for anything.

There is nothing Apple have "invented" that's worth the ridiculous prices they charge. However, they are without a doubt the world's number one marketing company, or they wouldn't be where they are now.

Most people probably believe the ipod was the first mass-produced MP3 player, such is the quality of their spin.

• Like 1

that's the film i was talking about.. so it is untrue?

So they offered Xerox a deal that Xerox had to BUY stock in Apple....ummmm thats not paying for anything.

Oh, really? I've seen it many times. It's an enjoyable movie even if made for television. But no, like most movies it's part truth and part entertainment.

Business deals don't always involve one party handing cash over to the other party in return for something. Pre-IPO stock in a company that was growing as rapidly as Apple was at the time is nothing to scoff at and is something often used in deals and incredibly common concerning tech deals. And at opening price of $14 a share Xerox stood to make 400,000 before trading on the stock even started.

Now this news has broken I wonder how many other people will look at their itunes collection and say "I paid for it and I don't own it?":

Action hero Bruce Willis is engaged in a real-life battle – as the diehard music fan fights to save his song collection.

The actor is taking Apple to court so he can leave the tunes he has downloaded onto his iPods to his daughters after his death.

He has reportedly spent thousands on the collection, which features music by bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

But under Apple's current terms and conditions, he cannot pass on the songs to Rumer, Scout and Tallulah because they are effectively borrowed under a licence and not owned outright.

It means the collection will become worthless when he dies.

Willis, 57, has reportedly asked his lawyers to investigate whether the music can be put into the ownership of a family trust.

Legal action to give downloaders more rights is already underway in several US states.

A win against technology giant Apple could benefit millions of people who have downloaded songs from iTunes.

Many do not realise they are downloading the songs under a licence agreement and the songs cannot be passed on to other people, even as an inheritance.

If technology giant Apple suspects the rules have been broken it can suspend users' accounts.

As well as Willis' three daughters with ex-wife Demi Moore, the star had a baby girl, Mabel, with wife Emma Hemming earlier this year.

Edited by Chicog

Mac is the easiest thing to use if you do not have good computer skills or you do graphic design or video editing but over all it is not a good product but it sure is pretty, not quite sure how a mouse with only one button works though seems like you're missing out on a lot of options with that flaw alone.

You could always just run Linux on your old Mac, in fact Mac OS X is Linux copied poorly by Apple. I would never personally own any product from Apple simply based on the human suffering they have caused and continue to cause not to mention they lie about everything including what they did not invent like rounded corners and flat, soon they are going to try to patent the "square" and say they invented it.

It's a bit like driving a car, no need to be a mechanic and fix it regularly, just drive it. I have some computer skills, have to, my wife uses a PC and I have to 'maintain' it. I use a variety of mouses? (sic mice,?) two button, trackpad, a special one for editing. No need to run linux,don't want to, Mac OSX is fine for me and Adobe Premiere runs on it ( not fast I've only got a core duo, waiting for the new iMac). I suspect you are just a little biased.