1995 M3 Import?

Dakhar

Hello folks,

The ball is moving as I type this post. The house currently has a contract/offer on it. We are getting ready for the big move.

So here is the question. I have a 1995 BMW M3 (E36 body style) in near perfect condition inside and out. The car has 51K miles on it, which is considered "broke in" for BMWs. I love the car, it is very hard to part with this beauty.

Would it be worth sending it to Thailand? I have read that if the car is over 10 years old there is a 70% tax reduction for Thailand importation tax.... so if that is the case, wouldn't that make it worth it?

Please let me know.

DON'T TO IT!!!

Sell the car to someone who'll enjoy it and buy a truck in LOS.

Why? The car will bankrupt you in duties IF and it's a big IF you can get it through customs.

If my some miracle you do get hold of it...your new-looking shiny M3 will be knackered within a year of driving on thai roads...

Which will break your heart (and your bank-balance) more than having to sell it..

:o

Absolutley forget the whole idea, the dorty maggots that parade as customs officers in this country will bring you to your knees and exploit your emotianal attachment to this vehicle until you are a blithering wreck.

Sell it now to somebody who will cherish it and source a similar vehicle once you are here.

Sorry for the bleak angle on this subject, but you will not get beter advice than that that has been offered so far!

As you all know i am a classic example of this situation or as i call it (Thai Scam)

You are right that you would be allowed 70% reduction in duty, but try telling that to the Customs.

As i have explained before you first have to go to the DFT in Bkk to get an import license for your car, and then as in my case every time you agree the import price it will go up and up.

If your BMW M3 is as clean as you say then for sure a customs officer or one of his friends in the car trade will take a shine to it and you are then well and truly screwed.

Trust me when i tell you the level of corruption in this department is beyond anything you could imagine, i spent a week in Laem Chebang and they wait for cars to arrive and then inform their friends in the trade.

The result as i have said, Kiss your pride and joy Goodbye.

Mike.

TukTukMike and to others...

Thank you for your responses. Although you have indicated that I should not attempt to bring my car to Thailand, I am going to do so any how.

Just kidding. It will be sad to let it go, but when in Rome.... Oh well, such is life. I did price a BMW 2003 M3 in Bkk, and the price was 167K USD. Which is around 4 times the cost here in the US. I guess, I will never have an M3 again, or any other nice car for that matter. But, I can think of worse things in life.

Thanks again,

Dakhar

You can find a nice early-to-mid 90's 3-series BMW over here at a reasonable price - less than 500K baht I reckon - and the cost of labor to have it serviced is much lower than in the States.

Besides, you wouldn't want a left hand drive car over here anyways.

Dakhar! all is not lost, check out this

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...I09050012&row=2

Not a bad ride for 1.1 million? not quite an M3 but a good alternative.

Thailand has no coupe BMW's apart from the M3's which is a bit of a downer.

Decent used beemers are available at sensible prices, there are plenty of tune up shops offering all kinds of wheels and trim upgrades at great prices.

Thanks for the link.

That is a nice car, although I am used to more power. But as you said, add a few things, such as a new chip, Cold air intake etc. and one could have a pretty decent car.

All for around 30-25K USD, which is basically the same here in the states. There is still Hope, thank you!

For the first while, I will be running around in a Vigo, nice, but it has no grunt at all. I would want the BMW for the long road trips that I will be having to take for the job. (and yes, I did a search on navigation systems, and I am happy to see that Thailand offers that)

So now I have to sell the M3

Thanks for the input.

Dakhar

Dakhar! all is not lost, check out this

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...I09050012&row=2

Not a bad ride for 1.1 million? not quite an M3 but a good alternative.

Thailand has no coupe BMW's apart from the M3's which is a bit of a downer.

well, i wouldn't go as far as to say that there are no coupes, but it is true that they are not as common as the 4-door e36 and e46 models.

Foreign-made vehicles permanently imported into Thailand, whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally subject to taxes and duties. However, used/secondhand vehicles are regarded as restricted goods and, therefore, generally not allowed for importation into Thailand, except for temporary imports as mentioned above or imports under the conditions specified by the Ministry of Commerce.

Before the importer can gain clearance of the used/secondhand vehicles through Customs, the importer will need to obtain an "Import Permit" from the Ministry of Commerce. There are a number of schemes under which an Import Permit may be granted. Each scheme has its own specific requirements. It is important that the importer should find out whether he can meet those requirements before committing to any action.

As i said before, you are still allowed to bring in second hand cars but it is never worth it.

I had to go to the DFT which also houses the Ministry of Commerce, they issue you with an import license only if you meet certain criteria.

As for my car, no i have not given up, but had a pm from another member saying that they may stop selling cars through the auctions.

Looks like i will have to wait and see.

Mike.

<snip>

As i said before, you are still allowed to bring in second hand cars but it is never worth it.

I had to go to the DFT which also houses the Ministry of Commerce, they issue you with an import license only if you meet certain criteria.

<snip>

Mike.

Mike, you are correct, there are excemptions to the rule, but the conditions are that difficult (and expensive) to fulfill that they are non-existing in the real world. A diplomat passport might help...

<snip>

<snip>

Mike.

Mike, you are correct, there are excemptions to the rule, but the conditions are that difficult (and expensive) to fulfill that they are non-existing in the real world. A diplomat passport might help...

No need for that, just grease the right palms.... :o

Get yourself a BMW 330i, tons of power in my book, there are a few non M3 coupes knocking around. Not cheap mind you. A 2002/3 330 would be around 1.5 million give or take a bit, a 325 coupe probably closer to 2 million or more!!! M3s are around 5 million for a 1-2 year old model.

<snip>

<snip>

Mike.

No need for that, just grease the right palms.... :o

you will need a LOT of grease...it would buy you a similar new car in Thailand from the shop

No thanks to the spoiler, fake M3 idea.

I want an M3 not because the status... I want one for the ride that they provide.

My car is clean, no spoiler, at all. The body is 100% stock. Interior, is stock and in almost new condition. The back seats are in new condition, the passenger front is in new condition, the driver side, shows slight wear.

The body has a few door dings... can't avoid that too easily.

I am in El Paso, Tx, near the New Mexico border. My asking price is 17K USD, and yes that is above blue book value, but for the queality of the car, the low miles, 5K stereo, 2K in radar detection equipment, and motor modification (chip and cold air intake) I think the car is worth it.

No thanks to the spoiler, fake M3 idea.

I want an M3 not because the status... I want one for the ride that they provide.

My car is clean, no spoiler, at all. The body is 100% stock. Interior, is stock and in almost new condition. The back seats are in new condition, the passenger front is in new condition, the driver side, shows slight wear.

The body has a few door dings... can't avoid that too easily.

I am in El Paso, Tx, near the New Mexico border. My asking price is 17K USD, and yes that is above blue book value, but for the queality of the car, the low miles, 5K stereo, 2K in radar detection equipment, and motor modification (chip and cold air intake) I think the car is worth it.

I was only joking! I can never see the point of adding badges to cars when they don't belong. It just makes them look stupid to owners of the same car.

As others have said, forget it!!

Even if you get it here and through customs you will have a lethal weapon.

A left-hand-drive vehicle is deadly to the crazy motorcyclists and you WILL have a damaging shunt within a few months. I've had numerous near misses, motorcycles head down the wrong side of the road (often with no lights) and expect YOU to get out of their way.

Having driven around Europe in my right-hand-drive 525 I wouldn't even consider driving a left-hooker in Thailand, just too risky.

Speaking of putting fake badges on cars. I had a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier GT coupe, based upon an economy car but really slick, with all the bells and whistles, 150 hp, solid black, and few badges. I was always tempted to take off the Chevrolet chevrons front and rear, and replace them with BMW logos. It almost looked like a BMW coupe to begin with. But I didn't do it.

I had a right hand drive Ford Consul Corsair GT saloon in Texas, too. Not a good idea to have wrong side steering wheel. In order to overtake somebody, you have to move halfway into the passing lane before you know if anybody's about to hit you head-on.