Latest On Dream Box Alternatives

junglechef

"Just got back to Thailand and wondering if anyone has found a good way to get cable tv. NFL starts this week so before I sign up with True Vision just checking how everyone is making out with their systems".

When the dreambox thing went kaput, there were hundred's of posts and people suffering all sorts of anxiety and wanting help from TV members. Now a lot of people have been fixed up with an alternative, they really don't like to spread the news around, help others get fixed up or point them in the right direction, because.......................

I guess you can insert your own guess..

It's a bit like the Freemason's. wink.png

"Just got back to Thailand and wondering if anyone has found a good way to get cable tv. NFL starts this week so before I sign up with True Vision just checking how everyone is making out with their systems".

When the dreambox thing went kaput, there were hundred's of posts and people suffering all sorts of anxiety and wanting help from TV members. Now a lot of people have been fixed up with an alternative, they really don't like to spread the news around, help others get fixed up or point them in the right direction, because.......................

I guess you can insert your own guess..

It's a bit like the Freemason's. wink.png

.........because.........despite all the bravado about the pirates cracking trues codes "in a matter of days"......they havent!! Trues HD sports channels are magic. The quality of the images are second to none. Get it, you know it makes sense because cheapskating doesnt solve your problem!!

Haha!! The Postmans back!!

Yup. I m back. Dont be silly. No shares. Just paying the fair price for a good service. Just watched Andy Murray US Open....IN HD, watch English Prem, IN HD, will watch Ryder Cup, IN HD.......and on and on and on.....

Have you got it yet? If you pay the fair price, you get a good service now for sportlovers.

If its NFL you are looking for, NFL Game Pass will stream every game - connect your PC to TV

I know Internet is slow but I was able to stream all the games on my TV last year and they looked great

60 bucks a month

Wow, 60 bucks a month is what you'd pay for Truevisions. Don't know if they have ALL the NFL games though.

The Vietnamese TV is OK -- a step above WE TV, but nowhere close to the premium packages on Truevisions. They did have fairly good coverage of the Olympics, but other than that we don't watch much sports.

I developed a new appreciation for Sopcast, and watching Formula 1 in Romanian.

Salut.

cheesy.gif Couldn't you find the Sky F1 feed?

Ehh no. And I did look. Will give it another try. What sort of quality/bitrate is it?

I'm getting similar quality to the old non-HD True Star Sports channel, and have enough to spare to watch a premier league game on a second display (in English). (Which came in handy with the Arsenal - Liverpool early kick-off game.) Also it's not like commentary in any language known to man is ever going to make less sense that Sky Sports' Steve Slater. I could get a Swahili or Klingon feed and get better info. wink.png I do keep the BBC Live Text site scrolling along, which is interesting and often funny.

An alternative is to wait a day and get the FULL race from BBC / ITV in HD as a torrent. The BBC shows with DC and Eddie Jordan have been magnificent television in the past; watching that in 1920x1080p is a joy even if it means waiting a day.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm on the side of Postman Pat, apart from it's often lousy performance in the rain True has great sports, football everywhere and great in HD with UK analysis, a golf channel, a rugby channel,Formula 1and many other auto-sports,plenty of tennis, it had great Olympics coverage now it has baseball and NFL for our american cousins. I have 2 independent TV's covering True for a very small extra price plus both have PVR recording so I can record or delay,everything if I want. Sure there's a cost (I just renewed at 27,000 per year for 13 months plus I bought the hard disks for the PVR) but for me it's well worth it. For cricket lovers it stinks but they might be a minority.

• Like 1

I'm on the side of Postman Pat, apart from it's often lousy performance in the rain True has great sports, football everywhere and great in HD with UK analysis, a golf channel, a rugby channel,Formula 1and many other auto-sports,plenty of tennis, it had great Olympics coverage now it has baseball and NFL for our american cousins. I have 2 independent TV's covering True for a very small extra price plus both have PVR recording so I can record or delay,everything if I want. Sure there's a cost (I just renewed at 27,000 per year for 13 months plus I bought the hard disks for the PVR) but for me it's well worth it. For cricket lovers it stinks but they might be a minority.

Agree with everything - if only they would do a ppv for cricket.......I'd go for that as well.

Agree with everything - if only they would do a ppv for cricket.......I'd go for that as well.

Apparently according to a cricket podcast I listen to every week ( The Vaughan and Tuffers Show on the BBC ), the forthcoming World 20/20 Cup is being shown by ESPN/ Star Sports, which of course we get....but is there a different version of ESPN/ Star which is only available on the Indian subcontinent...I dont know, does anyone??

Apparently according to a cricket podcast I listen to every week ( The Vaughan and Tuffers Show on the BBC ), the forthcoming World 20/20 Cup is being shown by ESPN/ Star Sports, which of course we get....but is there a different version of ESPN/ Star which is only available on the Indian subcontinent...I dont know, does anyone??

Unfortunately I think there are a few different ESPN versions and Thailand has obviously dissed the cricket.

However, it's not a major concern as there are places that show it, but it sure is nice to watch these things from the comfy of an armchair.

I remember when Star had the last (deciding) game in the six nations and had a northern (china) and southern (Thailand) beam. At the last moment the Southern beam decided to show indian league cricket or something, not the poor barkeep's fault but many of them nationwide got it in the neck as if it was their fault.

Where do you get the hard disk for the PVR? When I call True, they tell me PVR wont work yet ????

Thanks

It works but they don't have the hard disk or external enclosures in stock. Honestly the worst company I have dealt with in thailand.

You can buy the equipment yourself though. You need an external esata hard disk which are very hard to find here. You can get sata/esata external enclosures though. If you get one of these you can put a standard sata hard disk inside. I don't know how comfortable you are with technology so I will keep this simple. True sell the orico 2598SUS3 external hard disk enclosure. You can order this from orico thailand or get it easily on ebay. You could use a cheaper or different brand but if you want to be certain it's going to work 100% that is the model true sells. You then need a 2.5 inch hard disk. True recommend any western digital or Seagate. You can get one of these from almost any computer store. 500gb to 1tb is probably the right size. You then insert your hard disk inside the enclosure and connect it to your true pvr.

Once you have the equipment you need to call true to activate the recording facility. This is 99baht per month.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

It works but they don't have the hard disk or external enclosures in stock. Honestly the worst company I have dealt with in thailand.

You can buy the equipment yourself though. You need an external esata hard disk which are very hard to find here. You can get sata/esata external enclosures though. If you get one of these you can put a standard sata hard disk inside. I don't know how comfortable you are with technology so I will keep this simple. True sell the orico 2598SUS3 external hard disk enclosure. You can order this from orico thailand or get it easily on ebay. You could use a cheaper or different brand but if you want to be certain it's going to work 100% that is the model true sells. You then need a 2.5 inch hard disk. True recommend any western digital or Seagate. You can get one of these from almost any computer store. 500gb to 1tb is probably the right size. You then insert your hard disk inside the enclosure and connect it to your true pvr.

Once you have the equipment you need to call true to activate the recording facility. This is 99baht per month.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks alot

I hope this is the right forum but couldn't find anything else.

So now that my Dreambox is obsolete I reluctantly installed a True Visions package yesterday.

I can't find anyway to re-arrange/re-number the channels as I could with the Dreambox. Can this be done with the True Visions HD box?

I did set up the Favorites list but then I couldn't find how to access that list afterwards so I then don't have to go through all 150+ channels to see all my Favorites.

How do you find the Favorites so that is all I have to scan through to watch what I want?

I can't find anyway to re-arrange/re-number the channels as I could with the Dreambox. Can this be done with the True Visions HD box?

Apparently not.

How do you find the Favorites so that is all I have to scan through to watch what I want?

Press an arrow so that the on-screen display comes up, then press one of the coloured buttons, then select Favorites from the menu. It's more trouble than it's worth though.

I just mark my favorite channels as favorites so that at least they're starred and they stand out more.

My guess is the basic box allows for hiding/reordering, but True disabled that functionality. They have recently updated the boxes' firmware though, so perhaps if enough people ask for this feature they might implement it.