Tickets To Thailand's National Parks To Be Sold By Convenience Store 7-11

webfact

Tickets to Thailand's National parks to be sold by Convenience Store 7-11

By Staff Reporter

BANGKOK: -- A huge change in the way that we, both Thais and foreign visitors, buy tickets for National parks is underway in Thailand, according to the Ministry responsible for their management.

Tickets, currently bought at the gate, will be available from 7/11 stores nationwide for all the 148 national parks around the nation, in a bid to reduce manpower and potential loss of revenue through losses.

The tickets, which may become available either on the Internet or through other electronic means later, will allow the Parks to manage the numbers visiting parks and historical sites and, in some cases, restrict them to ensure that they are kept in good repair.

Some Parks have reported an overage of visitors at different times which have had a negative effect on the pathways and facilities.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...nce-store-7-11/

-- pattaya103.com 2012-09-04

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"potential loss of revenue through losses"

One can only guess. Losses, as in keeping the entrance fees to divvy up among the staff? Failing to charge the farang price when someone asks for the Thai price in Thai, and shows a driving license?

What a crock.

I wonder what would happen if a farang rocks up to the park with a Thai's ticket?

also, I don't believe they would do this;

" in a bid to reduce manpower"

Take utilities bills for example. If they allowed you to pay your bill, no matter how late, at 7/11 they could close down the vast majority of their little centres around the country. So blindingly obvious, and people would pay their overdue bills sooner if they did not have to find time to schlepp to the middle of no where to pay the thing.

I wonder what would happen if a farang rocks up to the park with a Thai's ticket?

also, I don't believe they would do this;

" in a bid to reduce manpower"

Take utilities bills for example. If they allowed you to pay your bill, no matter how late, at 7/11 they could close down the vast majority of their little centres around the country. So blindingly obvious, and people would pay their overdue bills sooner if they did not have to find time to schlepp to the middle of no where to pay the thing.

It's not a bid to reduce manpower. It's a bid to reduce the stealing....

• Like 1

I'd presume this change would mean one price for all visitors. I haven't been to a park in over 10 years due to the double pricing. It would be nice to take the kids, but not if Daddy has to pay even one satang more! My family and I frequently visited parks in the States and not once was I asked to pay more because my wife and daughter are not American.

• Like 2

I don't mind the dual pricing as it occurs in many other places around the world - Hawaii has pricing for locals, tourists, military, seniors - what I do object to is the increase in prices with nothing in the park changed, or cleaned.

• Like 2

I don't mind the dual pricing as it occurs in many other places around the world - Hawaii has pricing for locals, tourists, military, seniors - what I do object to is the increase in prices with nothing in the park changed, or cleaned.

There is not any dual pricing to the government controlled sites such as national parks and government funded museums. The dual pricing in Hawaii is for hotel rooms, entertainment venues, ect. Not to national parks..

• Like 1

No doubt the nice man at the gate will ask you for an extra 200 bht to let you in which will go straight in his pocket and no doubt the thai government could claim that the price increase has not affected thai numbers visiting parks

• Like 1

There is not any dual pricing to the government controlled sites such as national parks and government funded museums. The dual pricing in Hawaii is for hotel rooms, entertainment venues, ect. Not to national parks..

Hanauma Bay has dual pricing for locals/visitors. It is free for local residents.

Siam Paragon has dual pricing also. Full price for Thais and 5% discount for tourists. Outrageous. LOL.

Also, free for US, UK and other farangs to visit Thailand, but very costly for Thais to get a tourist visa to those countries. Dual pricing. Once again in favor of farangs.

When will we farangs get treated the same as Thais and be made to pay 5,000 baht for a visa to come here for a week's holiday? Don't they realise that we all want to be treated just like the Thais? LOL.

• Like 1

There will be other ways for the park employees to extort money. Foreigners even those who pay taxes in Thailand will be told they need ten tickets instead of one to enter the park en additional costs will be levied on cars. The worst National park is Khao Yai, you easily pay there thousands of baht to enter as a foreigner. Dual pricing is a dumb thing but in Thailand it is infringing on the personal life of people and nobody who will do anything about it. The ultra nationalist yellow shirt movement must love it.

Siam Paragon has dual pricing also. Full price for Thais and 5% discount for tourists. Outrageous. LOL.

Also, free for US, UK and other farangs to visit Thailand, but very costly for Thais to get a tourist visa to those countries. Dual pricing. Once again in favor of farangs.

When will we farangs get treated the same as Thais and be made to pay 5,000 baht for a visa to come here for a week's holiday? Don't they realise that we all want to be treated just like the Thais? LOL.

Thailand is perfectly able to ask tourist to pay for a visa. The fact it doesn't probably means the authorities think it is in their interest to not charge. If you live here. then just like Thais visiting the UK, you have to pay for your visa.

• Like 1

until the double pricing is still on I have no reason to go to national park. In my country its the same price for everybody.

I also refuse to go anywhere, park or not if they charge me more than locals

Edited by givenall

It's a great idea........well done!!

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves, this announcement has greatly increased access to the ticketing, and the efficiency of getting the tickets. Big like......more of this please, it saves us from having to deal with shyster tour operators and the like.

Try to look for the positives for a change eh?

Yes, that's ok for you,as your a tourist,but for the ex-pats who live here with thier Thai families

Many of whom also pay Tax, we think that duel pricing is unfair. This is what I believe is behind most of The people who you think are negative are complaining about.

• Like 1

Correct....total and utter hypocrisy and we have people here howling at the moon for having to pay effectively pennies for accessing the National Parks.

You should be proud to pay, proud to know that you are contributing to maintaining these areas. This initiative will have the net effect of ensuring far more clarity as to the amount of money which is pouring in to the National park system.......and the one thing corrupt officials don't like is clarity.

It's also patently ridiculous on at least two to constantly moan about the Thais being given "discounted" rates to enter their National Parks..........

The first one being that Thai nationals tend to earn a lot less than we do.......and by percentage of income you will find that they are effectively paying the same as we are.

The second one being that the more Thais that get access to the parks the better......the better for the chances of a true environmental movement to take root in the country. That can only be beneficial for everyone.

In fact in the long term it would be better to make the parks free to the Thais and only charge so called farangs.

• Like 2

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves, this announcement has greatly increased access to the ticketing, and the efficiency of getting the tickets. Big like......more of this please, it saves us from having to deal with shyster tour operators and the like.

Yes, that's ok for you,as your a tourist,but for the ex-pats who live here with thier Thai families

Many of whom also pay Tax, we think that duel pricing is unfair. This is what I believe is behind most of The people who you think are negative are complaining about.

I completely agree with people's hatred of dual pricing on a daily basis such as at markets, tuk tuks etc............however not in this case. You're asking the Thai government to differentiate at the gate as to who is a tourist, or long term resident. As the vast majority of members on this board do not have resident status in Thailand that becomes a moot point.

What's really winding you up is that you chose to live in a country that gives you next to no rights........that's a matter for you and all like you. Get over yourselves.

We absolutley have teird pricing all over the US. In Hawaii they have Kamaina price, in alot of states everything from Museums to Universities have "Resident" prices. I used to pay the "Student rate" on the Subway and to get into the Art museum free with a student ID. Get off your high horse admit your just a cheapskate. You picked up a Thai wife,thinking you could get a housemaid/sexslave for short money and now you're stuck living up to the expectations of the culture. When you adopt a new homeland you have to take the good with the bad. I would think if you have the money to send your wifes Grandparents to a decent hospital you would want to. She is a lucky lady to have a guy like you taking care of her family.

Edited by BOS2BKK

until the double pricing is still on I have no reason to go to national park. In my country its the same price for everybody.

That is the reason we do not visit the parks. There is absolutely no reason for it apart from plain and simple racism based on someones appearance. I know personally that other asians can enter at Thai prices. Had friends from Australia (Chinese decent) entered at Thai prices and I at farang price. Yes I know this is Thailand and I don't have to enter, and I don't enter.

Anyway selling tickets at 7/11 is a good idea and will assist locals who will become aware of it. What about the international tourists, will they still sell at the gates in future?

Edited by softgeorge

Hanauma Bay has dual pricing for locals/visitors. It is free for local residents.

Hanauma Bay is managed by the Honolulu Parks Dept. NOT the National Park Service. Is not considered to be a National Park or Federal property.