Tickets To Thailand's National Parks To Be Sold By Convenience Store 7-11

webfact

Farang is not a racist word, and there is nothing racist or unusual about asking people who don't pay taxes to pay extra for access to taxpayer funded attractions.

Anyone who thinks Thai people are racist should go back to their comfy European or North American homeland and compare the way their neighbors treat people of color to the way they are treated in Thailand. I can guarantee you, Thai people are among the least racist people in the world.

Thats funny.

If I were as racist in the UK as most Thais are in Thailand, I would have spent most of my life in a UK jail.

How many times have I listened to a Thai person call an Issan person ugly because they have dark skin.

How many times have I listened to a Thai person call hilltribe people thieves, not proper Thai, etc.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farang is not a racist word, and there is nothing racist or unusual about asking people who don't pay taxes to pay extra for access to taxpayer funded attractions.

Anyone who thinks Thai people are racist should go back to their comfy European or North American homeland and compare the way their neighbors treat people of color to the way they are treated in Thailand. I can guarantee you, Thai people are among the least racist people in the world.

Thats funny.

If I were as racist in the UK as most Thais are in Thailand, I would have spent most of my life in a UK jail.

How many times have I listened to a Thai person call an Issan person ugly because they have dark skin.

How many times have I listened to a Thai person call hilltribe people thieves, not proper Thai, etc.

Racism between Thai people and Isaan/hilltribes/etc. is none of our business and as the world's dominant race we don't have a right to comment on it.

Thai people have every reason to completely despise white foreigners, considering how pig-headed and entitled most of us act in this country. The fact that they don't indicates a degree of forgiveness and tolerance unheard of in most parts of the world.

Thats funny.

Racism between Thai people and Isaan/hilltribes/etc. is none of our business and as the world's dominant race we don't have a right to comment on it.

Thai people have every reason to completely despise white foreigners, considering how pig-headed and entitled most of us act in this country. The fact that they don't indicates a degree of forgiveness and tolerance unheard of in most parts of the world.

It's so subtle they even have teams.

yellow versus red.

Edited by Thai at Heart

You have some curious ideas .....

Are you MrsMills in a new/different incarnation?

PS

I thought the Chinese were the world's dominant race.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Huh? It's refreshments for a government meeting. 50 percent of it never gets consumed. It is teaching my kids that government serves the people. I pay all my taxes to the baht. It is teaching them that governments are paid for with ordinary people's taxes. It is not the government money. The government isn't my boss and if they cared one jot, and they would be accomdating themselves in a 3 star hotel, not 5 star luxury. The fact that them being there when I may be having a coffee is an unfortunate coincidence.

They should be made to stand outside and hand away for free every mouthful they can't consume themselves. Blind obedience and respect is half the problem in this country, and if the people woke up to ask why they should blindly respect the thieves and charlatans masquerading as government officials the country would probably be infinitely better off? Why aren't anyone's kids entitled to that cupcake any more than a government black suit with a sponsored camry,? I say bring it on. America has a tea party, I would love it if a street beggar marched into the conference room of the Dusit Thani and nicked a slice of cake. Thailand's cup cake party.

If I had my way I would personally take my tax money out to the countryside and build a school myself, or maybe a library. Instead, the I have to accept that 30 percent of it gets pilfered and a not insignificant amount gets spent at my local 5 star hotel, and changing absolutely zero.

Why should any of us give these people our blind respect when they act with no regard for those around them and are utterly incompetent.

One day maybe some high minded official will have a go at my kids for having a 20 baht piece of cake actually at my expense. I presume my son will say, the taxes paid for this, are u enjoying it? Did u get your fill yet? Or would you like an extra 30 percent slice?

Now that you put it like that I can see your point. So apologies for earlier comment.

Thats funny.

cheesy.gif

When people drag up the USA as an example of dual pricing, please offer full disclosure that dual pricing is based on area of residency and the only requirement to get the local price is to show an id card (typically a driver's license). I would be extremely surprised if anyone in the USA was asked for a tax report in order to get the local price - The only time I can imagine a tax report being required would be for the university requirement. Excluding universities, I have never seen a price for USA citizens and a different for others. There could be the odd place, but I have never heard nor seen it or I have forgotten it. But I do depend on one of the data miners here on thaivisa to find it. rolleyes.gif

Area of residency

SF Zoo - show an id card with an SF address and you are in with the local price.

Universities - If you are a resident from outside of that state, you will pay more. I am not sure how it works once you establish residency. Will the fees go down in the second or third year or is there a way to establish residency while enrolled... I do not know.

Huh? It's refreshments for a government meeting. 50 percent of it never gets consumed. It is teaching my kids that government serves the people. I pay all my taxes to the baht. It is teaching them that governments are paid for with ordinary people's taxes. It is not the government money. The government isn't my boss and if they cared one jot, and they would be accomdating themselves in a 3 star hotel, not 5 star luxury. The fact that them being there when I may be having a coffee is an unfortunate coincidence.

They should be made to stand outside and hand away for free every mouthful they can't consume themselves. Blind obedience and respect is half the problem in this country, and if the people woke up to ask why they should blindly respect the thieves and charlatans masquerading as government officials the country would probably be infinitely better off? Why aren't anyone's kids entitled to that cupcake any more than a government black suit with a sponsored camry,? I say bring it on. America has a tea party, I would love it if a street beggar marched into the conference room of the Dusit Thani and nicked a slice of cake. Thailand's cup cake party.

If I had my way I would personally take my tax money out to the countryside and build a school myself, or maybe a library. Instead, the I have to accept that 30 percent of it gets pilfered and a not insignificant amount gets spent at my local 5 star hotel, and changing absolutely zero.

Why should any of us give these people our blind respect when they act with no regard for those around them and are utterly incompetent.

One day maybe some high minded official will have a go at my kids for having a 20 baht piece of cake actually at my expense. I presume my son will say, the taxes paid for this, are u enjoying it? Did u get your fill yet? Or would you like an extra 30 percent slice?

Now that you put it like that I can see your point. So apologies for earlier comment.

Accepted.

I least my kids will have their cake. Lol

Dude, how do you come up with Thais being the least racists and then pull out "...Racism between Thai people and Isaan/hilltribes/etc..." I can't see how your statements match.

• Like 1

You have some curious ideas .....

Are you MrsMills in a new/different incarnation?

Maybe Winifred Atwell. wink.png

How can an absolute hierarchial society not be racist? huh.png

They're not racist, and they just dislike everyone who isn't Thai.

They love the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans. (White and richer)

Burmese, Hilltribers and Cambodians though... (Dark and poorer) They can be towed out to sea and set adrift without food or water to die. Oh wait, the Thai navy did that to 1000 Burmese only a few years ago.

Edited by siampreggers

How can an absolute hierarchial society not be racist? huh.png

They're not racist, and they just dislike everyone who isn't Thai.

They love the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans. (White and richer)

Burmese, Hilltribers and Cambodians though... (Dark and poorer) They can be towed out to sea and set adrift without food or water to die. Oh wait, the Thai navy did that to 1000 Burmese only a few years ago.

And they rather stupidly think the japs and Koreans share a kinship with them.

More revenue coming in to Thailand in European pockets and immediately departing into Japanese bank accounts. This is the latest in a round of moves that have this effect. Why are Thais deliberately encouraging revenue flight?

Perhaps they learnt it from the Americans who give all their cash to China in return for a load of crap.

But on a more serious note, I don't think they are. The Japanese aren't going to get all the ticket money. What do you suggest, that Thailand isolates itself from the world like North Korea? And look where that's got them.

Edited by davejones

More revenue coming in to Thailand in European pockets and immediately departing into Japanese bank accounts. This is the latest in a round of moves that have this effect. Why are Thais deliberately encouraging revenue flight?

I guess 7 will do it for a small processing fee.

7 11 in Thailand is Thai. I guess they pay the japs a royalty.

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand...

There is no double pricing in Thailand based on nationality. There is double pricing based on residence.

For the personal example, I have held three types of visas to Thailand - a tourist visa, a non-B, and a non-ED visa. With my non-B visa I would show my tax ID card and pay the Thai rate at any national park, or other government-run attraction (museums, the Grand Palace, and such). With the non-ED visa, I can show my student ID card, and it's the same. I've gone to museums and parks all over the country and have never had a single problem.

The only problem you may have is if you're here long term and are still on a tourist visa. In which case, the solution for those who hate the double pricing is simple - get off the tourist visa. Surely you have a legitimate reason to be here. Get a non-O, non-B, non-ED, whatever you qualify for... then you'll have a means of not paying the farang price. Until then, som nam na.

Doesn't work. i have a non-O and even a stamp in my passport that my residence is Bangkok.

Always have to pay farang price.

When people drag up the USA as an example of dual pricing, please offer full disclosure that dual pricing is based on area of residency and the only requirement to get the local price is to show an id card (typically a driver's license). I would be extremely surprised if anyone in the USA was asked for a tax report in order to get the local price - The only time I can imagine a tax report being required would be for the university requirement. Excluding universities, I have never seen a price for USA citizens and a different for others. There could be the odd place, but I have never heard nor seen it or I have forgotten it. But I do depend on one of the data miners here on thaivisa to find it. rolleyes.gif

Area of residency

SF Zoo - show an id card with an SF address and you are in with the local price.

Universities - If you are a resident from outside of that state, you will pay more. I am not sure how it works once you establish residency. Will the fees go down in the second or third year or is there a way to establish residency while enrolled... I do not know.

Here is my first hand knowledge of dual pricing in the USA:

1) State funded Universities (as you point out) Every state is different but generally speaking "in-state residents" will pay half the tuition of "out-state residents" Foreign residents will also pay double that of US residents. The system makes perfect sense considering that both state and federal taxes pay in to the operating expenses of the University. Most state universities will require that you are a tax paying resident of that state for a certain term (maybe 1 year) prior to applying to the university. So no. you can not change your status after a year or two.

2) New York state parks charge a different rate for residents and non-residents for camping fees. I am personally sure of this. I have heard people say this happens in Hawaii and Oregon too. And I also assume many other states.

3) Beaches in New Jersey very often are free for local residents but will charge non residents for access. I am 100% sure of this since I grew up in various New Jersey beach towns.

4) My town (Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ) pool has dual pricing. residents pay approx 40% of non residents.

5) County golf course - Almost all counties in New Jersey have county funded golf courses. Greens fees are generally 50% less for county residents.

6) Parking - Hoboken New Jersey has free parking for residents (show your lease and utility bills to the Hoboken Parking Authority) and you get a free windshield sticker. All others are limited to parking only on one side of the street for a maximum of four hours or they are towed away.

7) my ex girlfriend - She will screw almost anybody with an Italian accent, but if not your going to have to buy dinner first;)

Admittedly I do not know of any federal cases of dual pricing in the USA but it happens on the state, county, and local level very frequently in my experience.

There is no double pricing in Thailand based on nationality. There is double pricing based on residence.

For the personal example, I have held three types of visas to Thailand - a tourist visa, a non-B, and a non-ED visa. With my non-B visa I would show my tax ID card and pay the Thai rate at any national park, or other government-run attraction (museums, the Grand Palace, and such). With the non-ED visa, I can show my student ID card, and it's the same. I've gone to museums and parks all over the country and have never had a single problem.

The only problem you may have is if you're here long term and are still on a tourist visa. In which case, the solution for those who hate the double pricing is simple - get off the tourist visa. Surely you have a legitimate reason to be here. Get a non-O, non-B, non-ED, whatever you qualify for... then you'll have a means of not paying the farang price. Until then, som nam na.

Doesn't work. i have a non-O and even a stamp in my passport that my residence is Bangkok.

Show a Thai drivers license, work permit, or tax card and it will work nearly 100% of the time at national parks, the aquarium at Siam Paragon, and most other places. It will NOT work at the Grand Palace, Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, etc.

But I have a Thai ID card, and I get the Thai price 100% of the time at 100% of places in Thailand...with a big smile. And I am white.

So much for it being "racist".

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I don't mind the dual pricing as it occurs in many other places around the world - Hawaii has pricing for locals, tourists, military, seniors - what I do object to is the increase in prices with nothing in the park changed, or cleaned.

There is not any dual pricing to the government controlled sites such as national parks and government funded museums. The dual pricing in Hawaii is for hotel rooms, entertainment venues, ect. Not to national parks..

Hanauma Bay has dual pricing for locals/visitors. It is free for local residents.

Goggle search tells me Hanauma Bay is a Hawaii State Nature Preserve. Not a U.S. National Park.

That’s a good bit of progress arriving at a National Park with a ticket purchased at 7-11 this takes away the cash temptation for any employee at the park, I remember reading that Thailand lost millions of Baht at its Toll way fees due to pilfering by staff and management better to get rid of cash all together for this type of payment.

Was getting UBC installed a few years ago.

Employee came and said why don't I just buy one of his boxes for a 7000b one time fee, receive every UBC channel and never have to pay a monthly fee.

It lasted 5 years I think and only stopped working a few months ago when they changed the signal from analog to digital. 7000b for him and a saving of almost 100,000b in monthly fees for me.

To relate this to the NP staff (and no doubt low-level management) pilfering money, from what I see and hear it is common in almost every Thai business should the Thai staff be given the chance to.

No doubt the NP service want to cut down on this and this is their new method of tackling the issue. Don't under estimate the Thai's reaction to being 'wronged' and cut out of their thieving profits though, I suspect those about to lose their cash flow will fight back through petty, sabotaging methods.

Edited by siampreggers

Show a Thai drivers license, work permit, or tax card and it will work nearly 100% of the time at national parks, the aquarium at Siam Paragon, and most other places. It will NOT work at the Grand Palace, Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, etc.

For the record, my student ID (from a major Thai university) gets me into the Grand Palace for free every time I have family and friends in town.

Maybe this is an issue of the student price, though, not the taxpayer price.

I'd presume this change would mean one price for all visitors. I haven't been to a park in over 10 years due to the double pricing. It would be nice to take the kids, but not if Daddy has to pay even one satang more! My family and I frequently visited parks in the States and not once was I asked to pay more because my wife and daughter are not American.

Even if you did only pay the thai price, I doubt you'd ever want to go again. Thai national parks are like a garbage dump compared with American National parks.

• Like 1

Was getting UBC installed a few years ago.

Employee came and said why don't I just buy one of his boxes for a 7000b one time fee, receive every UBC channel and never have to pay a monthly fee.

It lasted 5 years I think and only stopped working a few months ago when they changed the signal from analog to digital. 7000b for him and a saving of almost 100,000b in monthly fees for me.

And some guy stole 100,000 from a bank. There's no difference. You've admitted to being a criminal. Congratulations.