Moving To Bangkok With A Degree In Science Of Agriculture

Riccardo19

Hi everybody,

I am Riccardo, I am Italian but living in london since 7 year now!

I will move to Bangkok next year and I was wondering if anybody of you can help me job hunting in agriculture field.

I have a master degree in "science and technology of agriculture" from an Italian University . I am specialized in Urban Agriculture in the city of Havana , Cuba.

Urban agriculture is a very innovative way of production of vegetable in the urban or peri-urban areas of cities. Here in London Urban Agriculture is mostly an hobby, but in less developed countries like Cuba or Thailand it can be very helpful to complete the food stocks especially in big cities (like bangkok).

As I really would love to partecipate in a similar project when I will be down in Thailand, I would like to ask you if anybody of you knows any project in this field going on in Bangkok, or if have any idea on how to find it out!

I have google it and I found out that there is something going on in Bangkok, but I couldn't find any link or contact for enquires...

Also I would like to know if anyone knows any other company that works in agriculture related field in Bangkok (and that employ foreign peoples).

Many Thanks

I hope you don't get laughed at on this forum, but your question does sound somewhat naif, to me at least. I don't think that you will get a job in agriculture easily. The Thais that live in highrise apartments won't, generally, be interested in cultivating vegetables on their balcony as they can buy very cheaply on the markets. Things get nicked here, so if it isn't caged off, it will disappear a day before planned harvest.

A completely different mindset here, agriculture here = being a peasant, and that is to be avoided at all costs even if you are living in poverty.

Why don't you come over on holidays and sample the Thais capacity for enthusiastic, idealistic, hard work for yourself?

Good luck

• Like 1

Welcome to this forum.

Thailand needs idealistic people like you with sensible ideas! But as said before, please be prepared when these positive ideas are not "immediately" received with the highest enthusiasms.

Edited by Morakot

Riccardo, I too have a degree in agriculture, in international agribusiness management. I enthusiastically did all my projects on aquaculture, the world shrimp economy, the economics of the frozen seafood export business, etc. I moved to Thailand soon after graduating in order to try to find work in aquaculture, seafood exports, or a related field. Needless to say, I was naive and overconfident about finding work. Hundreds of resumes and countless office visits and phone calls later, I'm still very much unemployed. I've learned to speak, read, and write the Thai language, but that honestly hasn't made a bit of difference in my job hunt. Unless you have the right connections, or transfer to Thailand with a foreign agriculture company, trying to find work in this field is extremely tough. Out of the hundreds of resumes I've sent out, I don't think I've had about 10 replies. Half of those were confused Thais who didn't read the English correctly, and then tried to save face by pretending to be interested. The other half were employers who pretended to be interested, then gave me the fantastic opportunity of working for them for free, and offered to maybe hire me sometime in the future when they could afford it. Unless you're a native English speaker with light skin and interested in teaching long hours for a meager salary, Thailand is not an easy place for young foreigners to find work! I'm stubborn enough to keep fighting, but I should have done a lot more research before packing my things and heading across the Pacific to find employment.

The Wold Bank does use ag consultants on a regular basis in Asia. They require several years of experience and their registeration process is quite involved, but you may want to look into this avenue.

It is not full time employment but the pay is good and if you can work 6 months a year, you can make a good living. If memory serves correctly, 10 year experience in field of expertise is required and the registeration must be upgraded on a peroidic basis.