8.17 Gb Space "eaten" By Biostar Soundcard Or Motherboard

Tawai

Hey you computer understanders out there!

Got myself a new Desk Top computer. Had W7 ultimate installed from the shop people.

On partition D is a file called "biostar H61MLC.GHO".

Googled that and found that this might be a soundcard or motherboard, which are both named same.

"Problem" is large size of file. Do I have to live with this, or is there an easy solution to save space?

Have a second sound card installed, as onboard SC would not allow me to record streams with No23 Recorder (super slim freeware - I love it!!).

If some of you guys or girls know about another, maybe better stream recorder do get from the net for free, pls. inform us here, as No 23 would recordfrom start to stop into one mp3 file (without interruption between songs).

Also on partion D are hidden files called $Recicle.Bin (empty folder), System Volume Information (empty as well) and "pagefile.sys with 7,98 Gb. As they are hidden files, I do not dare to play around there. But could someone explain me why they are there, other than because the seller installed them at this place?

You generally need the PageFile so I wouldn't play with that, and leave the other system files alone as well.

A .GHO file is a disk image backup made by Symantec (Norton) Ghost, so my guess is someone backed up the whole thing for you so can easily restore it if you screw up.

If you want to keep this, you can back it off to external storage.

• Like 1

Hi Chicog!

Thanks for your reply. The pagefile thing is on D, should it be there, or on C ? I myself would not mess with this issue for sure. Thanks for the warning anyway.

I have installed "Rollback RX" as a back up program, as this was very helpful on my previous computer running on XP - saved my data at least 10 times after various attacks and srew ups done by my own stupidity!!

Question is now what should I do with the .GHO file. As I have (now) plenty of free space, I do not "have to" delete or transfer that file, but will I need it, for new instal or similar?

Personally I think that the guys in the shop installed my new computer not perfectly, also they should have explained to me (I am able to comunicate in Thai) about the .GHO, partitions splitting, User name (very difficault to not just change, but get rid of old name in existing files).

Your thoughts??

1. if you have enough RAM (>8 Gig), a pagefile.sys is not absolutely essential. But maybe they put them on D:, to free more space on the C: partition.

2. I doubt, they "installed" everything on your PC.

More likely, they did a "network boot" and pushed the Ghost image via Ghost server, to your machine.

This needs only a few minutes, compared to a regular install.

3. If you are satisfied with the installed system and programs, you could save the .gho file.

But for a recovery, you will need a "norton ghost boot-cd", which can load this image file

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

^ Basically, wot he said.

I do have a Netbook with 2GB Ram, an SSD and Windows 7, so I turned off paging. I've never had a problem with it, then again I never really fill the RAM.

I probably wouldn't have done this on Windows XP, mind you.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

1. if you have enough RAM (>8 Gig), a pagefile.sys is not absolutely essential. But maybe they put them on D:, to free more space on the C: partition.

2. I doubt, they "installed" everything on your PC.

More likely, they did a "network boot" and pushed the Ghost image via Ghost server, to your machine.

This needs only a few minutes, compared to a regular install.

3. If you are satisfied with the installed system and programs, you could save the .gho file.

But for a recovery, you will need a "norton ghost boot-cd", which can load this image file

Hi Roban !

Another great answer to my questions. I am obviously not really a understander of computer basics, but try to learn....

I try to insert a snapshot of my com memory (that's RAM???) - hope it works...

It says thet I got a total memory of 8.100 MB, but free only 5.200MB. In that case do I need that pagefile.sys file? What would be the difference of having/not having it on D: ?

As mentioned, I have Rollback RX installed (for C: only!). In case I would delete .GHO file, which troubles would I be asking for?

Hope I do not ask to many (silly) questions. Don't want to steal your time.

Thank's for bearing with me so far anyway

Edited for wrong attachment.... will try to get the correct one in.

Edited by Tawai

The only advantage of having it on a separate physical disk from C: would be performance. But if you have a single disk partitioned into C: and D:, it's of little note.

A lot of people use C: purely for programs and keep all their data on D:

That way, if you have to (or want to) reformat, you don't have to restore all your data.

The pagefile is really for when you run out of RAM, which although you have 5Gb spare would appear difficult, actually isn't. Load a few Office programs, a photo editor and so on and you'll soon see paging as a necessity.

Edited by Chicog

Also on partion D are hidden files called $Recicle.Bin (empty folder),

This looks bad. Something familiar spelled differently is usually a sign that something bogus is installed.

The file is there its spelled in capital letters actually, but no typo - the fact that the folder is empty makes it still bogus?

This looks bad. Something familiar spelled differently is usually a sign that something bogus is installed.

The file is there its spelled in capital letters actually, but no typo - the fact that the folder is empty makes it still bogus?

You never empty your Recycle Bin?

Give this ago and let me know how you get on http://www.addictive...e-in-windows-7/

thx for the link. I read a few of the comments quickly. Pagefile is for restoring the computer to restore points then?

In that case I will leave it there.

Thanks again

The PageFile is virtual memory. It's where data and programs are temporarily offloaded from memory when it's scarce.

If you have a lot of RAM, to be honest you could turn it off (I have, on my Netbook), but Microsoft do not recommend this as best practice.

Edited by Chicog

You never empty your Recycle Bin?

Hi Chicog!

Thanks for your responds. Yes, I do empty them, tidy boy as I am 555

Is/was this $Recicle.Bin folder empty, because bin was empty? Would make sence to me, but than I do not have much knowlegde about how computers "work" in the inside.

Cheers for all the info anyway. I have decided to leave the pagefile.sys where it is, as the D: has still more than 400GB of space.

The .GHO for a Norton recovery is probably not necessary as I have a good working back up program. I am not sure if this .GHO is in connection with windows recovery restore point, or how this is called.

GHO is a *complete* image of your PC. So if you hard disk crashed, and they put in a new one, they could boot into Norton Ghost, restore this image and your PC would be exactly as it was when you go it.

But as you say, if you have alternative backup arrangements, you don't need it.

• Like 1

A reasonable compromise on the "Page File -- Needed or Not?" debate -- leave a small, user-defined one. Some software is hard-coded to check for the presence of a pagefile. Never mind if the software *needs* the pagefile, it still checks for one upon startup. If no pagefile is found, then the software won't run.

I've long had only a 128MB pagefile, and it seems to be adequate. Actually I've specified mine to be minimum size 128MB, maximum size 4GB. If WIndows ever needs to exceed the minimum size, it stays at that larger size until a reboot. I've never seen mine larger than 128MB. I started doing this when I had 4GB system RAM.

And, since I never seem to need the pagefile, I moved it off my C: SSD onto a partition on a HDD. No need to be squandering that valuable, but expensive, SSD space!

What they said. Maybe you should leave the .gho file around for a while until you're sure you have your backups working satisfactorily. Then just delete it.

Otherwise, in your case, just leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A reasonable compromise on the "Page File -- Needed or Not?" debate -- leave a small, user-defined one. Some software is hard-coded to check for the presence of a pagefile. Never mind if the software *needs* the pagefile, it still checks for one upon startup. If no pagefile is found, then the software won't run.

I've long had only a 128MB pagefile, and it seems to be adequate. Actually I've specified mine to be minimum size 128MB, maximum size 4GB. If WIndows ever needs to exceed the minimum size, it stays at that larger size until a reboot. I've never seen mine larger than 128MB. I started doing this when I had 4GB system RAM.

And, since I never seem to need the pagefile, I moved it off my C: SSD onto a partition on a HDD. No need to be squandering that valuable, but expensive, SSD space!

Not so expensive these days, under $1 a gig and dropping.

Under a $1/GB in Thailand? Wow, this country is finally making progress!

Actually it's worldwide. I picked up a 512Gb OCZ Vertex 4 for under $400. Going to install Windows 8 on it in my new Dell.

There are some things you need to think about if you want to use and SSD instead of an HDD.

There's a nice write up here