3 Lines Electric Power Connection

Charly2008

I need to get 3 lines for electric power at my office which is currently connected to 1 line. The load which will be connected is not high, but I need 3 lines.

Has anyone experience to change from 1P/N/PE to 3P/N/PE? I had somebody to ask at the office where to pay the electric bill, but it is as mostly here in Thailand, you get just very little information and nothing in written form at all. Actually I can do the hardware work for myself as I did it back home as well, or is it perhaps better to get it done from a local company and ask the PEA

Would appreciate any first hand information, experience and how long it will take to get all done.

All I can tell you is that you will need a site survey by the PEA.

You will be told there is a waiting list or a long time wait, but expedited service will become available in the form of a bribe.

You will need to have a cable run from the nearest Junction where they can connect to Three-Phase, you will be told this is far away and the cost for the cable will be very high, but again there might be an easier way round on on production of a Bribe.

I'm guessing you have Aircon that demands 3 Phase power, if your demands are really not that high, it may be possible to buy a converter to produce a limited 3 phase supply from your existing single phase supply, but it can't be anything heavy on power.

Maybe we can help a little more if you gives us a bit more info on your requirements.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 1

What you have to do:

1) go to your power meter look straight up and check if you have 3phase supply outside your house (4 wires on poles running, your meter is connected only to 2 lines)

2) if yes go to the PEA with your old invoice and ask for an upgrade to 3phase for your house (PEA will install power cables to the new 3P-meter only and the meter of course)

You have 2 choices for 3phase meters 15A(to45A) and 30A(to 100A)

Documents needed (depends on where you live and PEA): House register, Chanoote, ID card, old PEA invoice, House owners ID card, maybe Power calculation and/or electrical schema), but they will tell you when you apply for it.

3) Before PEA will do the installation you have to upgrade your breaker panel to 3phase (you have to change the whole panel) and you have to bring out the main cables from the panel to the new meter position. If your main breaker is 45A or 50A/3P (should be enough for you) you need 16mm2 cable if it's up to 100A/3P it's 35mm2. There is nothing in between cable wise. Cable type in air is THW, if it runs underground it's NYY.

4) Once your installation is done, contact PEA again and let them know, they will come and check it out and some time later change to 3Phase supply.

5) Costs PEA approx. 30-45,000 THB for meter, connection, deposit, fees.

Cheers

1) You cannot do the work yourself without a Work permit etc.

2) You are best just to hire a contractor to do the work for you as the Thai Electric Company only do the work to your house anyways and then get sub-contractors to do the rest so just cut the long wait down and hire direct Electrical Contractor.

Thanks for the answers, especially to beach.

I have the 3 lines already in front of the building, therefore no special action needed from PEA, the new switch cabinet I can do for myself as I have a work permit and even have electric work registered in my Co., Ltd.

Again thanks for bring light into it.

Cheers, Charly

Thanks for the answers, especially to beach.

I have the 3 lines already in front of the building, therefore no special action needed from PEA, the new switch cabinet I can do for myself as I have a work permit and even have electric work registered in my Co., Ltd.

Again thanks for bring light into it.

Cheers, Charly

Let us know how you get on with that

• 1 month later...

short update:

1. application in PEA accepted without problems, we had to provide copy of ID card and Tabien Ban from the owner

2. engineer came and explained what we need to prepare, i.e. 2 additional lines 16 sqmm copper wire for the lines, new cabinet with 50 A main switch, wiring in 3/8" yellow pipes

3. after this is done it will take them approx. 1 week to come and change the meter

until now it seems to work smooth, I'll update after all is done with costs etc.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is finished now, it was as they told us, we made the preparations for ourselves, after that was finished we had to phone to PEA office and they send somebody for check. The Engineer which came had a quick look and told us all ok, we can go and pay for the new 3 line meter. We had to pay closed to 12k THB and 4 days later they can and installed the new meter.

I was really surprised that all worked out that easy and smooth, well what can I say, Thailand is good for positive surprises.

Cheers