Cool Response To The Can You Speak Thai Question?

edwardandtubs

Whats the difference between this,

ฉันพูดภาษาไทยไม่ได้ and this,

ฉันไม่ได้พูดภาษาไทย

ฉันพูดภาษาไทยไม่ได้ = I can't speak Thai.

ฉันไม่ได้พูดภาษาไทย = I didn't speak Thai.

I recommend you learn the difference - it's an important one.

I just read this whole topic and It's possible I missed a response, but assuming Alfredo is male, these are more suitable:

ผมพูดภาษาไทยไม่ได้

ผมไม่ได้พูดภาษาไทย

Google Translator (which is HORRIBLE for Thai) uses the female ฉัน as the default for pronouns.

John B

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the difference between this,

ฉันพูดภาษาไทยไม่ได้ and this,

ฉันไม่ได้พูดภาษาไทย

ฉันพูดภาษาไทยไม่ได้ = I can't speak Thai.

ฉันไม่ได้พูดภาษาไทย = I didn't speak Thai.

I recommend you learn the difference - it's an important one.

Cheers, thanks for confirming what I and another poster were trying to get across to Alfredo, if you go back a page you will see the previous posts.

after what some people say here maybe this better:

ได้ครับบางทีผมพูดภาษาไม่ได้ความด้วย dai krap,bang tee pom pood pasa mai dai kwaam duay

might bring a giggle and some thai might even smile and agree with you.. especially the guy who does tell evryone he is "kon Thai"clap2.gif

I get asked it a lot and I think my Thai is good enough to go beyond the standard "nit noi" or "mai koi dee" type responses. I want to reply with a quip like "what do you think?" or "have a guess". Would คิดว่ายังไง have the necessary 'coolness'? What cool responses do you have?

For years, I'd say 'nit nit noi noi'. Meaning a little but inferring that it is actually more than that. Sounding humble but in reality trying to impress.

Now a simple 'yes'. I have lost the need to impress anyone and lost the 'what do they think of me' character defect.

• Like 2

For years, I'd say 'nit nit noi noi'. Meaning a little but inferring that it is actually more than that. Sounding humble but in reality trying to impress.

Now a simple 'yes'. I have lost the need to impress anyone and lost the 'what do they think of me' character defect.

You sound like you are trying to appear humble but in reality actually trying to impress.

Edited by merck

ได้ครับบางทีผมพูดภาษาไม่ได้ความด้วย dai krap,bang tee pom pood pasa mai dai kwaam duay

might bring a giggle and some thai might even smile and agree with you.. especially the guy who does tell evryone he is "kon Thai"clap2.gif

What does "ความด้วย" mean here? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

What does "ความด้วย" mean here? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

ความ- this mean "kwaam" but here its the last part of the phrase "mai-dai-kwaam" which mean "makes no sense" or "nonsense talk". thai always laugh when they say this as they usually talk about something silly

ด้วย- duay- is seperate word meaning "also"

I should have said krap after the duaywai.gif