November Trip Advice Please

Northernirish

Im off on my 4th trip to Thailand for 4 weeks in Nov. Roughly 1st week Pattaya, 2nd Chiang Mai, 3rd Ayuttuyah and 4th back in Pattaya.

Will be my first visit to anywhere outside BKK/Patts. Ill be in CM roughly Thurs 8th - Tues 13th Nov.

From what ive read on Thai Visa so far, im thinking of staying at either the Centara Duangtawan or Raming lodge. What is the best way to book either hotel and get the best rates? Cant find any info on Centara Duangtawan on agoda or booking.com

Although airasia is meant to be the cheapest airline from BKK. Are they worth the hassle as im hearing bad reports on different forums. Am i better off with Bangkok Air?

Apart from enjoying the nightlife at the likes of Loi Kroh rd and the Imperial moi ping beer bar complex, i was planning on visiting Doi Sithep, going on a click and travel bicycle tour, Sunday roast at Archers, Sunday afternoon in the old city, Sunday night Walking Street, night bazaar, massages, fish supper at The Olde Bell, Rogan josh at a decent Indian?? Thai food, possibly flight of the gibbon and Muay Thai at Kawila boxing stadium if theres fights on. Does Chiang Mai have a football/soccer team in Thai Premier lge?

Would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're going to be in the Night Bazaar area a lot. There's a great Indian place, can't remember it's name but it's directly opposite Duangtawan, next to a massage shop and pharmacy. And a bit further down the same road is the best live music in Chiang Mai, at The Bear Bar. Great home-made pizza, too :)

For the small amount extra, I would fly Bangkok Airways (see thread in this forum about AA at CNX. For a cheap and very friendly hotel, you could do much worse than Sawasdee Chiang Mai House.

As for booking hotels, I found booking direct was cheapest, because all booking sites will charge the hotel a fee, which is passed to you. You could always pre-book the first night, and tell them that if you get a good rate and like the hotel you might book the remainder of your stay. I have used this tactic and it worked well for me. If you book online, Agoda have good rates, but you have to pay up front. Booking.com does not charge you (and you may get free cancellation until 24 hours before arrival), but they will quote a slightly higher rate.

Enjoy CM: it's a beautiful and friendly city, with fantastic countryside nearby.

seems like you outdoor activities, maybe squeeze in some time to ride the Samoeng Loop on motorbike and get back in touch with nature and remember what a pine tree smells like while looking into a deep valley. It passes through some tourist stuff along the way. It'll take 2.5 hours.

Edited by KRS1

Air Asia in November would be from the old airport Don Muang (DMK), whereas Bangkok Air (who allow 20 kgs of hold-luggage in-the-price & offer a light-snack) fly from Swampy (BKK), which has buses to/from Pattaya.

There are also good overnight VIP-buses from Pattaya to Chiang Mai, try NakornChaiAir (terminal on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya) costs about 800B-850B including a box-meal.

Returning from Chiang Mai to Ayudhaya, you might prefer to fly to Don Muang (on Air Asia, Nok or Orient-Thai, the latter two with 15/20 kgs hold-luggage allowance), then walk across the footbridge over the very-busy main-road from the old international-terminal to reach the rail-station, where there are trains heading North to Ayudhaya. One more interesting experience ! I think the journey-time is 60-90 minutes, and a 3rd-class ticket is very cheap !

You don't need to book anything in advance in CM.

Plenty of empty hotels and guest-houses.

Anyone who pays more than 500bht a night for a room in CM is a bit daft IMHO.

(You can get air-con and swimming pool for that, why pay more)

can you back that up? yes there are many for under 500 but you are in low budget standard, probably guest house at best.....but interesting if you know of swimming pools, free air con, and in November high season.

for monthly stay i can see it, but for a few days?

not disputing but interested for future reference for tight friends.

Royal Lanna Hotel is in the same location as others mentioned, on Loi Kroh at the night market.

Nok Air (Thai Airways LCC) offer excellent services from Don Muang to CNX. From Patts, get the VIP Limo service @ 1500 BT, pick up at your hotel and drop off at DMK. Comfortable and efficient service ... far better than taking the bus.

Nothing wrong with AirAsia flights, just the counter staff attitude. Nok are friendlier and same price as AA, sometimes cheaper, all in.

Not sure if you are still in LoS but if you can reschedule things a bit to be here for Loy Krathong I doubt if you will be disappointed. Happens on the 11th full moon which this year is the 28th of November. Possibly the best (and busiest) time to be in town so book both your flight and hotel asap. Enjoy your stay smile.png

If you enjoy an adrenalin rush then the Flight Of The Gibbon is highly recommended. An all day trip of fun which you can do alone but is better with a friend or two. There have been some similar companies start up recently but I can’t see how they could do better.

Edited by SamSipEt

• 2 months later...

Hi folks having a great time in CM. Thought id let you know what ive been getting up to. Staying at Centara Duangtawan. Arrived Thurs evening and head back to Pattaya on Tuesday.

Thought id try the local Khao soi dish first at the Thai place with people names written on all the walls a few doors down from the Red Lion just after i arrived on Thurs evening.

post-147480-13526473204862_thumb.jpg

Friday afternoon rented a motorbike and went to Doi Suthep.

Pic at one of the stops near the top.

post-147480-13526466935352_thumb.jpg

Friday evening at the Muay Thai at Kalare - Night Bazaar.

post-147480-13526468281754_thumb.jpg

Saturday off in a taxi to the Maesa Elephant Camp.

post-147480-13526471057555_thumb.jpg

post-147480-13526472395207_thumb.jpg

post-147480-13526474238219_thumb.jpg

Saturday night & take a taxi to the Chiang Mai F.C. v Rayong play off game. Which ive tried & failed to upload a short video of through my phone. Ill try to post it again in next few days.

After game enjoyed a Singha or 2 in a few bars back on the Loi Kroh Rd including Number 1 Bar & later ended up in Spotlight agogo shusssh lol.

This morning at 8.15, im lying in bad drifting in & out of a crap hungover sleep & my room suddenly starts swaying, <deleted>? Last about 30 secs. Never experienced an earthquake before, sort of similar to being on a boat/ferry during stormy weather. At the time i was thinking im 80% sure that was an earthquake but 20% thinking maybe too many Samsongs last night. Confirmed it wasnt the booze when i logged on to Thai Visa lol.

Never made it out of bed until early afternoon today. 20 minute or so walk from my hotel & i arrive at Archers for their scrumptious Sunday Roast which was recommended by many on Thai Visa. Should've took a pic of, but my head was still pounding & forgot.

4pm & The famous Walking Street market nearby Archers begins.

post-147480-13526486917892_thumb.jpg

post-147480-13526487692791_thumb.jpg

Could not believe the size of this market. Begins at 4pm - 10pm & you would nearly need 6 hrs to see all of it.

Food, food & more food lol

post-147480-13526489855451_thumb.jpg

post-147480-13526490330527_thumb.jpg

post-147480-13526490789206_thumb.jpg

post-147480-13526491330688_thumb.jpg

3rd dish was Pat ka pao (I think was what lady said) delicious.

4th dish, sign above the vendor said Nayadia Roti Mataba (Islamic Thai dish?) ordered the chicken version, probably shouldve bought the banana one. Couldnt eat it anyway, stuffed after the previous 3 lol.

Back in hotel now, a little tired after all the walking at the market today & couple of hrs ago booked to go on the Flight of the Gibbon rainforest trip during my last full day in Chiang Mai tomorrow afternoon.

Been a great trip so far, im hoping Flight of the Gibbon will be the icing on the cake. Ill post a few pics of tomorrow in the next couple of days.

Edited by Northernirish
  • Like 2

You don't need to book anything in advance in CM.

Plenty of empty hotels and guest-houses.

Anyone who pays more than 500bht a night for a room in CM is a bit daft IMHO.

(You can get air-con and swimming pool for that, why pay more)

Some people live for more than money.

Trust me when you pass away all that money you saved by living in cheap accommodation will do you no good. If you have it spend it if you don't have it find a cheap accommodation. I had friends here booked into a home stay with a pool for 350 baht a night. Paper thin walls and noise all night long. They moved out.

Why the Cheap Charlies are always willing to comment negatively on the people who can afford and like better is beyond me. My choice would be the Doungtawan. It has a decent gym and nice pool. As was pointed out it has an excellent Indian restaurant across the street. I found the food very very good and the service not good. There is also a decent Indian food restaurant in the night bazaar named Le Spice.

Try trip adviser.

Why the Cheap Charlies are always willing to comment negatively on the people who can afford and like better is beyond me. My choice would be the Doungtawan. It has a decent gym and nice pool. As was pointed out it has an excellent Indian restaurant across the street. I found the food very very good and the service not good. There is also a decent Indian food restaurant in the night bazaar named Le Spice.

Try trip adviser.

All that makes me wonder why you aren't living in India or America.

Broaden your horizons, try something slightly different, plenty of good Thai places to stay, Thai food to eat and Thai things to do.

My pet peeve, foreigners in Thailand which do nothing Thai ...... go somewhere else!

PS

Paper thin walls and noise ..... make sure you are in the room making the noise (with a friend of course)!

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1