Getting A Free Upgrade To Business Class

autan

If you want free upgrades then get yourself a credit card affiliated with an airline so you can collect a good point to mile ratio on your spend and commit to flying one specific airline or ones in an alliance to ensure you get higher status levels on your frequent flyer card. Higher status cards and being smart about collecting points to convert to upgrades are the only way you are going to get the good seats. Never ever resort to begging for them at check in. I can think of nothing more embarrassing. And you dont need to.

• Like 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a very amusing post. Then the freebie upgraded customer sits next to someone who is loyal, paid $5,000 more to sit in business class, and proceeds to tell them about the free upgrade they just snagged, thereby pissing of a loyal, high rev. customer for life. Not likely.

While Op Ups (Operational Upgrades) do occasionally occur these are a result of economy (and/or business class in the case of a 3-class aircraft) being oversold and (usually) those with the highest status in the airline's FFP are given an operational upgrade to make room for more people in economy. (Ocasionally, owing to the boarding process and the need to close the door an OpUp can be given to a "Kettle". OpUps actually save the airline money as they do not have to pay IDB compensation, where applicable. Some savvy fliers do monitor loads and ticket potentially oversold flights in hopes of a bump (VDB/cash) or OpUp.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

I may have to try that. I fly Chiangmai to Melbourne return every month and have done so for the last 6 yrs. That's around 75 flight on Thai Airways, I have a gold card and not once in all that time have I been upgraded.

I see upgrades from economy to business class on many flights I work. This is usually because economy is overbooked and not because someone want's to "try" it. That said most of the upgrades are done near the end of the flight being closed at check-in. Those arriving early with assigned seats will be given their seats and sent on their way. Those arriving just before the flight being closed with no seat assignments bare a better chance of being upgraded if the flight is full, but they also stand a chance of being denied boarding as the flight is now overbooked. These days because of frequent travellers and passengers now being offered to bid on upgrades one month before the flight the chances of being upgraded in the way the OP talks about is less likely.

Getting upgraded once onboard is also less likely unless their is some passenger conflict and we need to move people.

Dont know if it can be classed as 'passenger conflict' but flying out of Accra to Schipol I arrived at my seat and found a large colored lady sat in it. Suggesting she had the wrong seat she showed me her boarding pass...same seat number as mine.

So I called a steward and explained the problem..she was just too big for her to sit on my lap...no problem sir, just come with me...so it was buisiness class and a window seat for the journey. Good food,plenty to drink and very pleasant

Why would someone lie and do a song and dance routine at check-in to get an up-grade?

Would the same people go into a restaurant, tell them they are starving and have no money to get a free meal? I don't think so (but can't be certain whistling.gif ) so why is it okay to do it to an airline?

• Like 2

Dont know if it can be classed as 'passenger conflict' but flying out of Accra to Schipol I arrived at my seat and found a large colored lady sat in it. Suggesting she had the wrong seat she showed me her boarding pass...same seat number as mine.

So I called a steward and explained the problem..she was just too big for her to sit on my lap...no problem sir, just come with me...so it was buisiness class and a window seat for the journey. Good food,plenty to drink and very pleasant

"Colored lady?" What does that detail even have to do with the story? Except maybe tell us something about you....

And I don't know if you are joking or not...I sure hope so. If you were really that rude as to tell the flight attendant that the problem was the lady's size (which it wasn't...it was that the seat was double booked)...well, then the flight attendant should have moved the lady to business and kept you in economy! wink.png

• Like 1

What a load of <deleted>!!

Granted no harm in asking, but usually the response is fully booked or if there is availability may I see your credit card for purchasing the upgrade.

Key to an upgrade.....

1. Frequent Mileage Tier Status

2. Reward for being inconvenienced

3. Full Price Fare

The number of times I have been upgraded to business or first all 3 of these scenarios above played out.

• Like 1

I once got upgraded on BA from BKK-SYD when I was the last to check in, but I had a premium economy ticket.

It really helps to not have a discount economy ticket. If you get the cheapest you can, then forget it. And to have a ff membership with status helps.

I have also read quotes from checkin staff saying that they never give upgrades to people who ask for them.

...and with this comment we have managed to be transported back a century

Or at least back to a time when air travel was glamorous. And people dressed up for air travel.

One exception, among several perhaps, is that TG does operate 3-class aircraft (747-400) on 2-class spur/tag routes like BKK-HKT or BKK-CNX. So if you have business class it does pay to check in early, and ask for a seat in the pointy-end. I have done this twice, for two people each time, for albeit the short flight BKK-HKT/HKT-BKK. A sort of upgrade. Service, F&B are the same, IFE was not enabled. Perfume and lipstick were not required. ;)

Edited by lomatopo

I don't understand why people prostitute themselves for something they haven't paid for.

You wanna fly biz class-pay for it.

Yes, if someone upgrade me for free, I like it, but I would never get the idea to beg for it....or prostitute myself as you call it.

And actually I sit in business or economic the same long time. Of course business is more comfortable but I really don't care much. If business class would bring me 2 hours faster to my destination than yes.

I guess a good share of people only book business class to fell important....

Or at least back to a time when air travel was glamorous. And people dressed up for air travel.

Have to agree with this - call me old fashioned, but I still treat any form of air travel as an occasion, and I always have a minimum dress standard.

Not a 3 piece suit and tie necessarily, but never short/singlet/thongs....

This is regardless of whether I am in the cheapest economy seat, or up at the pointy end, so to speak.... whistling.gif

• Like 1

I guess a good share of people only book business class to fell important....

Do you honestly believe that? What an odd 'guess'?

I suspect people pay a significant premium for a higher class of service for the comfort, service, IFE, F&B. Otherwise airlines should be introducing each business and first class customer to the rest of passengers, in order to "make them feel important"?

FA: "Please join us in welcoming Mr. Somachai Smith in seat 1A, Somchai joins us today from his home in Bang Kapi where he enjoys water polo, long walks on the beach and modifying his Mini-Cooper."

come on, if you sit a bit more beautiful and get a few more drinks doesn't justify that extra costs. I have no problem sitting 10 hours in a Thai Minivan.

OK I understand at 10+ hours. But the normal 4-10 hours you sit and wait the same in business or economic.....

Have to agree with this - call me old fashioned, but I still treat any form of air travel as an occasion, and I always have a minimum dress standard.

Not a 3 piece suit and tie necessarily, but never short/singlet/thongs....

This is regardless of whether I am in the cheapest economy seat, or up at the pointy end, so to speak.... whistling.gif

Well shorts and flip flops are for the beach, I can't understand how people use that in nice restaurants, when travel in shops.

some basic shoes, a jean and a non offending TShirt isn't so difficult. Still very low for most things but a lightyear ahead of the short trouser.

I once got upgraded from business to first only to be downgraded 10minutes later.... That hurt.

On one flight I bought the very last economy ticket and when I arrived I got upgraded.... I always wondered if the extraordinary cost of my ticket played a part (about 1,750 pounds for London to bangkok).

• Like 1

Very amusing post. Good luck with trying to beg for an U/G -FFP will always take the priority

Also keep in mind most flights are handled by ground agents and they do NOT have the authority to UG, it will be done behind the scenes by reservations.

On an International route the flights are catered so closely to the actual load they will never UG even a FFP if they cannot present a meal.

• Like 2

Very amusing post. Good luck with trying to beg for an U/G -FFP will always take the priority

Also keep in mind most flights are handled by ground agents and they do NOT have the authority to UG, it will be done behind the scenes by reservations.

On an International route the flights are catered so closely to the actual load they will never UG even a FFP if they cannot present a meal.

And that is exactly the way it is.

I fly business for the seat comfort.

Certainly not for the food or entertainment.

If I could jyst have the seat without the other stuff I would love to do it cheaper...frankly on a twelve hour flight I'd just pack some sarnies and crisps if it saved me a couple of hundred quid....you can close the lounges too.

No way I'm sitting in economy though...nooooo chance! :P

• Like 1

I fly business for the seat comfort.

Certainly not for the food or entertainment.

If I could jyst have the seat without the other stuff I would love to do it cheaper...frankly on a twelve hour flight I'd just pack some sarnies and crisps if it saved me a couple of hundred quid....you can close the lounges too.

No way I'm sitting in economy though...nooooo chance! tongue.png

That's exactly what I think. The idea of 12 hours in an economy seat is horrific. These days I tend to fly business out and premium economy back to save money as I don't need to sleep on the day leg.

I have really enjoyed reading the responses to my thread. I see there is a mixture of

1) Fear

I get this a lot from people in my line of work. They can't do something or are too afraid to try, so they tell themselves and everyone else that its <deleted> and cant be done. My reply to this is "Drink deep or taste not, the plasma spring".

2) Holier than though

The attitude of some people is never beg. Even if the result is you get something for free. I suppose this all depends how you were brought up. Certainly living in Manchester in the 70s, 80s and 90s taught me, that if you don't ask you dont get. It brought a smile to my face, the poster who said this "Things just dont work that way anymore". In other words, you lost your bottle to ask and sit there in economy while the ass--le in front of you decides to recline their seat on you, with your dinner still on the tray.

3) Disbelief

How is this possible, surely that cant be true. An upgrade, you must be a friend of the airline staff, next door neirbours with the cabin crew or send your children to school where the Pilot sends his . . . right. Wrong, airlines make most of their money from business class customers and so if they feel they are going to get a customer in the future and they look presentable then they will upgrade, if you "beg" in the right way.

One of the first responses to this thread was "why are you telling people", well for those with the bottle to try you can get a seat worth thousands for a few hundred pounds and a little nerve to ask, as you can see from some of these responses most people will do just about anything not to ask. Its human nature.

As for having delusions of granduer and having issues, a little on the personal side for TV, but I am not crying about it.

Do I have issues, probably. Do I give a fig, No. Do I have delusions of Grandeur, dam_n right I do, especially when I have just been upgraded to business class for free. (hehehe).

I can't see it working very often on top tier airlines where they have a regular clientele of paying business class passengers and wanting to maintain an exclusive image. Kazakstan Air on Air Banglasdesh might fall for it though smile.png.

Do business class passengers pay for their seats? Really?

• Like 1

I don't understand why people prostitute themselves for something they haven't paid for.

You wanna fly biz class-pay for it.

I do enjoy flying business class, but I enjoy the fact someone else has paid for me to do so. Ca-Ching.

Not true for some airlines - I know this is not the case with TG from experience.

Several times over the past few years when I have been offered an OpUp - the check in staff have actually said there is not enough biz meals, would you be okay with the upgrade anyway? I have even signed a disclaimer on two occasions - yes I'm fine without the meal.

In all cases - once on board in J, there were always enough meals to go around...

As some previous posters have said - its mostly about your tier/FFP status.

I also check loads, especially for long haul - nearly all of my free upgrades have occurred on full or overbooked economy loads.

Do business class passengers pay for their seats? Really?

Yes, I do, mostly.

What's wrong with that? crazy.gif

Last ticket cost me 162k miles and 10k baht taxes, happens when I collect enough miles for a free ride.

But I am willing to pay up to 3x cattle class price to avoid being stuck between other fat <deleted>.

Edited by tartempion